After the "feedback" from folks at 4W
For folks that don't know, 4W is the Major WMA event in the winter, here in the Seattle area. Folks from all over were here this last weekend.......

I had several people tell me that they didn't recognize things, as in the words of one "Where's all the real light swords I'm used to seeing from you, Gus?"

The average sword weighed 3lbs......... I had two there that were 3lbs 11oz. The kind of stuff intended to be great light duty cutters, and still be able to pop the occassional nasty "helmet on a pole"......

I had one fellow just north of the border {Vancouver BC} talk about the pork shoulders done in by his AT1426, {clean cuts thru, bones cut cleanly, no damage to the edge}.......

The falchion was surprisingly the most popular sword on the table...... the new rapier blades designed to drop into Scott Wilson's {Darkwood Armoury} hilts were second.......

Discussions of two swords that are still "vaporware", have decided me to get off the dime and get them into steel and folks hands in the next twelve weeks.... the first sword a XVa, blade length 38 to 39 inches, total length, 52, guestimated weight 3.75lbs........ the other an XVIIIb, blade length 39 inches, total length, 52 inches, weight, 3.75lbs {guestimate}......both swords made from 9mm stock, meaning the tangs and bases of the blades will be .36 inch thick......

I still make the real light swords, the heavier ones are out now.........
Hope you had fun, Gus. I really wish I could have been there.

I'm excited to hear about this falchion!

Quote:
I still make the real light swords, the heavier ones are out now.........

I imagine that the light ones are where the market is strongest, but having handled some of your heavier ones, I have to confess that I tend to like these a lot more than the really light ones. I guess "heavy" isn't quite the right word, as 3 lbs isn't a heavy sword, but I like some substance behind my blade. :)
Nice, Gus.

Where can I see the falchion?
Gus;

Any idea when we can see some of these new models on your site ? They sound very interesting. :cool:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Nice, Gus.

Where can I see the falchion?

Hi Nathan

I'm ashamed to say I didn't get a photo of it before the event. Actually, this was the last sword I expected to sell, and I could have sold it three times during the event......

I have two blades out of heat treat though, a bit different. I'll see if I can't get photos up in the next couple of weeks.......
Bill Grandy wrote:

I imagine that the light ones are where the market is strongest, but having handled some of your heavier ones, I have to confess that I tend to like these a lot more than the really light ones. I guess "heavy" isn't quite the right word, as 3 lbs isn't a heavy sword, but I like some substance behind my blade. :)

Hi Bill

The light stuff is where I started, and made my initial name. And this stuff was extremely popular for a long time. Still is with the "backyard cutters" because so many of them are really good cutting swords.........particularly when you factor in the mass of the sword.

However, as the "market" adjusts itself, one must adjust with it. Actually, the heavier longswords are just a continuation of the longsword direction, I just finally got to the bigger ones........
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Gus;

Any idea when we can see some of these new models on your site ? They sound very interesting. :cool:

Hi Jean

Yes, I intend to get photos of them in the next couple of weeks........
Re: After the "feedback" from folks at 4W
Angus Trim wrote:

The falchion was surprisingly the most popular sword on the table......

Shouldn't be a mystery there, Gus -- the thing is a beast! Just hefting it raises your testosterone levels. :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: