A new Ollin short sword
I just finished up this piece, and thought I would share it with you. I hope you enjoy it.

It's been in progress for a while now, since I haven't had much time to finish up new products due to the increasing demand on time from custom projects. I am happy to have finally finished it though, and pleased with how it turned out.

Specs:
26"overall
19" Blade
2 lb. 1 oz. weight
Cast bronze fittings
Ebony grip

-Mark

Attachment: 13.59 KB
Picture 038-2.jpg

It's great to see Bare Blade 1 all hilted up. I'd wondered what kind of direction you would take this piece, and I find the final sword has a very futuristic feel to it; something I hadn't previously anticipated when looking at the unmounted blade. Taking fantasy pieces forward in time rather than backward is rarely seen; and though I think MRL experimented with this theme a few times, I'd love to see more swords with a science-fiction influence. However I have no idea if my take on the piece is what you intended to convey, and I'd be interested to read about the weapon's inspiration.

It looks like we're only seeing a small slice of the hilt's architecture in this photo - I hope to see some multi-angled shots on the Ollin site before too long...
Very nice piece!!! I love the carved grip and the bronze fittings! Good stuff!
You're right James, there is a little more going on in the hilt than is visible in the picture. To be honest, I was just happy to get some decent lighting for an overall picture. Hopefully, I'll get to take some more pictures of different views relatively soon.

I can see how this sword portrays a futuristic vibe. It has a certain organic geometry in the hilt that kind of flows along those lines. I didn't really try to put a date to the design, being from the future or past. So, I can't say your feelings about the piece are off the mark, however, I can't confirm them either. I'll be doing a writeup regarding the inspiration and getting the info up on the website in the near fututre.

Thanks for the comments James and Tim. I love hearing any comments, criticisms, or thoughts people may have regarding my work.

Mark
And...the OlliN site has just been updated with some additional pictures and information about this piece. Thank again for all the great comments!

Best,

Matt

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: