Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website updated Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Albion website updated         Reply with quote

There's a chance I'm stealing Howie's thunder, but I just noticed that the Albion website has been updated to reflect the new price increase. I know there has been some dicussion of this, and I have waited to see the actual increase before commenting. All things considered, I don't think it's too bad. I did not look at all of the swords (nor do I remember the original prices on most of them) but they seem to have gone up about $30-$50 in most cases. The Steward (probably my next sword) went up $50. I don't think that fifty dollars make a big difference on a (previously) $700 sword. I was expecting the increase to be twice that.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Reeve went up about 5%
The Sovereign went up about 6%
The Castellan went up 6.25%

That's pretty mild, considering Albion was thinking about a 10 - 15% price increase.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The Reeve went up about 5%
The Sovereign went up about 6%
The Castellan went up 6.25%

That's pretty mild, considering Albion was thinking about a 10 - 15% price increase.

It seems a bit more dramatic in the Museum Line. The Solingen and Tritonia increased 20%, Svante increased 16%, sword of SM Turin increased 12%, and the Brecsia Spadona did not change in price (if I remember correctly the old prices)

Alexi.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new prices make me more likely to shop elsewhere, but I'm on a tight budget and not their only customer.

I'm really not too big a fan of some aspects of their new program for investor-customers, the Benefactor Society. I don't like the idea of someone being able to buy their spot in the production queue, " Automatic first-in-line position in the production queue", getting placed ahead of poor schleps who've been waiting. I have no doubt that preferential treatment happens all over the business world (after all, money talks, etc.), but seeing it advertised so openly doesn't sit well with me.

It's interesting to see they plan to make a special sword for those people. That sounds exciting, but they were supposed to have been doing the same for Collector's Guild members. That hasn't happened in the nearly two years of the Collector's Guild's existence. They've polled us for opinions on what sword to make, but nothing has materialized. But since money talks, as noted above, I suspect the Benefactor's Society members will have a better chance of getting their special sword. Happy

But these are just the opinions of one crotchety forum old-timer with limited funds. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regent +16% beyond my budget now (BMBN)...glad I already have one!
Earl +6%...looks like this one becomes a sweet deal in the new price structure
Munich +16% or +22% (not sure if it was $900 or $950 originally) I so wanted one of these but BMBN!!
Landgraf +7%

I don't think the Maestros changed.

Overall the changes are not bad. However, they do take several models I was considering beyond what I will allow myself to spend. Not a question of value, I just control how nuts I go on this hobby by setting spend thresholds that I will not exceed.

Museam line was always BMBN.

I really like some of the Messers but they are BMBN too.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

You are not the only one with fund constraints. Worried

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hadn't taken the time to check the Museum or Squire Line prices before. The Museum Line was already beyond with what I could justify. This does put the nail in the coffin on any thoughts I had of a Solingen. Ironically, I don't think I will be getting any Squire Line swords now either. They each went up $50. That is the same as the Steward I want, but it is proportionally greater. I guess I figure, if I'm planning to buy a $700 dollar sword, my finances better be squared away enough that $50 doesn't make a difference. I view Squire Line swords as being for those times when I cannot be so cavalier. Is my logic sick? Probably.

It does hurt me to see the prices go up, but there are not that many swords that I need at this point (or so I have myself convinced). For someone who had plans to buy multiple swords, this is a bigger blow.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overall, the price jump is not that bad. I do think that with a few of the higher end models it puts them in the price range of a custom piece, which makes me ask: why buy production? It's nice to see that some of the lower priced models didn't jump that much.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good thing it's nothing important. Gas (for heating) in UK just went up 22%. Don't think the lack of swords will kill off many old and infirm. Jarl at $1100 looks a bit dear, but I expect folks that want one will still pay it. Either that, or Albion will run sales later in the year. It is a business, not a charity, and they seem to have got a lot of things right so far.
Ho hum
Geoff
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

I don't think the Maestros changed.

Maestros went up about $20.00 to $30.00.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, seeing the actual numbers. It's steep. I think some of the customer base is going to dissolve. With proper marketing, they may be replaced but with todays economy, wow. No six swords in a year. No free seventh sword. We'll see if it bares out. Most the folks I know don't have deep pockets that are involved in sword related interests. Or have other more practical interests that could crowd out their sword collecting. Yet, I wish them well, and the best with the business. I was there almost a year. If sales stay up, it could rectify a number of ills. It's just a question of what each individual values these swords at.
Mathias Andersson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was looking forward to buying a Regent this summer, but now it looks like i will search for some other dealer, 16% extra in price is to much for my budget:(

Sad it went this way:( i think they are going to lose a bunch of customers who already had a thight budget.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had to sell my Regent last year to raise some funds. I had planned on replacing it later this year, but like Mathias, I won't be able to do that now, either. This hobby is just too expensive Big Grin Worried
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My employer did no raises this year, and no raises three of four years prior.

With costs going up my for fuel, heat, food, and everthing else, I just don't have as much to play around with. I actually started saving money last month so I'd have funds for the Round Table I plan on hosting in May!

Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, some of the more expensive swords I like are now a bit more expensive. There was no way I could afford a Museum Line sword at this point (or any of the other more-than-$800 swords), so that's not that big of a deal, and my second-favorite, The Brescia Spadona (first-favorite being the Svante), is still the same price. A lot of the Next-Gen's I like are the same price still anyway, namely the Baron, the Crecy, Vinland, Clontarf, the Dane, Talhoffer, and the Agincourt, or if they increased they barely went up, so I'm fine. If that's what it takes to keep Albion going, then fine. If you're going to spend a lot of money of a sword, what difference does another $50, or even $100 make anyway (or in the case of the Svante, $400, but if you're spending $2500 then you can probably afford to spend nearly $3000)?

And they are expanding to Europe, so they need to cover costs. And still, there's always Arms and Armor Happy
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that this price increase will change what purchases I make in the future. It just pushes almost all the models above what I can really justify spending. It makes me even more tempted to save up and get a custom piece. I had been thinking about trying to pick up an Albion or two by the end of the summer, but I don't know if that is gonna happen now.

Of course, I realize business is business, I hope everything goes smoothly for Albion. I need that company, even if I'm only window shopping.

Kenton
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Prince and Talhoffer "only" went up by $30 (some, like the Brescia, went up by 100 Cry ). Luckily, I've had my Talhoffer since last year.

I see a lot of NextGen swords whose prices are now in the four-digit range. The Knecht (now $1,300) was previously the only NextGen that had an $1000+ price tag. Now the Jarl, Regent, Viceroy, Munich, Huskarl, Valkyrja, Hersir, Chieftain, Hauptmann, Markgraf, Meister, Vassal, and Dane are all a grand or more! Then again, don't say we weren't warned.

Also, I hate to say it, but I agree with Chad regarding his thoughts on this Benefactor Society. I mean, what if there's a sword (the Munich, for instance) that you've wanted and that you already put down a deposit for? Several months have passed, and several more will pass before the sword is finished and delivered to you. Now, someone who has more disposable income than you can suddenly jump to the front of the queue?? Confused

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am disappointed too. I placed my order for the Munich the same night it was announced (June 7th http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4219&start=0) on this forum. I was declared order # 2 (Aaron Shatterly #1.) Now the cost has gone up by almost as much as my deposit. It sounds as though it will arrive a year late, precidence of orders dismissed!

Copy of June 8 email from Albion..."

Sounds great buddy. Thank you so much for the order. I have you as the second one out the door. J Take care and hope you have a great day. I will be taking $300 out today and the balance due when the sword is ready to ship.

Best Wishes..."

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Sorry about the length of this...         Reply with quote

...and for discusing a vendor's business on the forum, but the strategy and pitfalls of all of this all very fascinating to me. If I had better access to Albion it would be fun to do some of my business and strategy analysis stuff for school using them. Some of the bits and pieces of late are either incredibly innovative strategy, or incredibly something else.

Anyway, I took some time to examine the whole Benefactor's Society a bit more. One thing I think Albion needs to do is take a look at their language. Some of the benefits are jumbled. For example, at the $500 level, this:

" 10% Discount on all Albion purchases while a member Extension of Collector’s Club requirement (waiving the one year limit for as long as you are a member) "

Makes more sense as:

- 10% Discount on all Albion purchases while a member
- Extension of Collector’s Club requirement (waiving the one year limit for as long as you are a member)

Which is how it is worded at the other levels.

As for the line jumping, I doubt its going to make a noticable difference.

I am more concerned that:

- It is roughly 50 days since the last model actually went into production according to what I can find on Albion's website.
- 5 models are slated for early 2006 release, some after being delayed already.
- There are only 30 days left in the first quarter, which in my industry is the official end of early (apples to oranges).
- 30 models are slated for introduction this year (counting the Benefactor and Round Table models).
- 7.5 models must enter production by April 1 for Albion to statistically remain on schedule.
- A new model must enter production every 10.5 days from now on to achieve published deliverables.

AND -

- That Albion is making a commitment with this benefactors society sword that is probably going to be binding.

My concern is that they are painting themselves into a corner. Albion has deposits with delivery commitments, some of which have already been missed. They are, or should be making money on the float associated with those contracts. Now Albion is, I think, making another contract by taking a deposit to prioritize not just a customer, but a sword model.

If Albion hits their release dates the next couple months they are going to smell like roses. If they miss their first quarter releases, I think the rest of the year could rapidly become very interesting. Regardless, there's going to be one intersting business case study in there. Either an innovative how to, or a how not to. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for roses and a how to. Cool

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad I got my order in for my Munich before the price increase. Now I really wonder when they'll start producing/finishing it. I actually get a little extra mad money once a year to buy something nice, but after awhile you have to wonder if paying a grand a sword for "neato stuff" rather than practical stuff is worth it. Besides, I'm about ready to buy armor now and that can cost upwards of 5-10 grand to get a good custom suit. Damn hobby expenses! Wink
Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website updated
Page 1 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: