Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Inscriptions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jan Downs

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Inscriptions         Reply with quote

I want to place some inscriptions on a sword I am working on and was wondering if any of you DIY folks out there might have advice on how to go about this. I'd like them to look "period" if possible so hand tool methods (with the possible help of my Dremel tool) are my preference. I plan on keeping it fairly simple, just a little Latin phrase or something.

My thanks for any help.

Regards,

Jan Downs

for God's sake strike true, man!
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As this is your first try. Here are some suggestions.

An engraving tool is better than a dremel (looks "cheap"). Dont go too far down the blade (most were done in the upper half, close to the guard.) Stay in the center and engrave the letters horizontally on the blade is best. As for size, just look at some existing pieces as shown in Oakshott's book "Archaeology of Weapons", for examples.

You have more room engraving a longer motto this way:
--------------------------------------------------------------
NON NOBIS DOMINE

Than this way:

N
O
N

N
O
B
I
S

D
O
M
I
N
E
Jan Downs

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Laurie. As far as an engraving tool goes, where might i obtain one and what sort would you recommend? I fear I don't know much about how engraving is done or what tools are used. I plan on keeping it very simple, just a phrase in Latin and perhaps my name, so I don't think I need any sort of complex apparatus at this stage.

I very much appreciate your response. I'll look thorugh my copy of Oakeshott for examples.

Regards,

Jan Downs

Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirby makes his own engraving tools rather than buy commercial engravers. Basically a vise and/or clamps, a hammer and the engraving tool. Most any good book on metalworking/jewelry will show you how it's done and how to get the right shape on the tool itself. For that matter, I know there should be some websites you can look through as well. But there is nothing like practice to learn from.

Make sure your piece is locked down tight while doing so. Keeping a good steady hand holding the tool while tapping the end with the hammer during the process. You want to keep your line the same depth as much as possible and not too deep. But not so shallow that you may go beyond the penciled line of your design.

Make sure you work out on paper what it will look like before transferring the design to the metal. Even if it's plain Latinate. Check everything before making your first cut. Why practicing on scrap is a good idea first.
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Latin Mottos & Phrases, et cetara....         Reply with quote

Here you go....this site is full of nifty Latin Mottos and phrases......

http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html

Cheers..........Merv Cannon
Jan Downs

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Merv. That'll come in handy.

I was thinking that my first one would be "VERITAS TE IRRITABIT" (the truth will piss you off). I have kind of a whimsical sense of humor. I was also thinking of "NEMO INQUAESITIO HISPANIENSIS EXPECTANT" (nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition).

Anyone who is better at composing in Latin is welcome to offer corrections. I'm good at reading Latin, not writing it. Big Grin

Regards,

Jan Downs

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Inscriptions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic