Basket-hilt in Edinburgh
While browsing the picture trail for Vince Evans, I came across this basket-hilt:

[ Linked Image ]
Photo copyright Vince Evans

Old photo is no longer available from Vince Evans, but this one is from Thomas McDonald:
[ Linked Image ]
Photo copyright Thomas McDonald

What can you guys tell me about this piece?
Or, how bout any general information on this form and style of basket?

I tend to like the baskets that are comprised more of bars than plates. I like the "open-ness" of the design, so this particular basket is very appealing to me. I'm guessing that those in the collecting community will probably not find this particular piece as appealing as I find it, but let's hear what you have to say.

If you don't know much about this specific basket, located at Edinburgh Castle, then perhaps we can share photos and info on similarly-styled hilts for some clues. I'm curious about era, origin, maker, construction, etc.
Hi Nathan

Yes, that is a real beauty !

Vince sent me a post card of that one, but the only info on it says :
"Basket-hilted broadsword said to have been carried by a highland officer at the storming of Quebec in 1759".

The design of this piece has Walter Allan's name all over it , yet it is not a signed basket .... so who knows ?

Vince studied this piece, and took lot's of notes, so perhaps when he returns from Hawaii he'll give us his thoughts on it !

Wonderful baskethilt , Mac
Hi Nathan and Thomas,
That basket is one of my favorites: it's got just the right amount of "movement" and grace in it's design. I've seen similar styles that are English military, but those have a stiffness to them that this one doesn't have. I've got a photo of one of the stiffer styles that I'll post if I can remember where it is!

--ElJay
Found it!
Obvious English military lacking the Scottish characteristics (no rear wristguard, no wide scrolled wrsitguard).
Design differs in some details, but there's a lot of overall similarity as well to the one in Edinburgh.

--ElJay

Attachment: 56.39 KB
mcdonaldthomas-580ENG.jpg

OK, why that showed up twice I don't know. But anyway, here's a front view!

Attachment: 43.62 KB
mcdonaldthomas-581ENG.jpg

I happen to like that one quite a bit.

I prefer bars to plates, the basket doesn't look quite as cramped and it has an earlier period feel to it.

Very interesting detail on the front of the basket as well.
I had no idea that people would find this style of basket as attractive as I do. Most reproductions are of the "pierced plate" variety and that would seem to be what is most popular and archetypical in design.

I've often seen English baskets of this style, but the one I posted at the start of this topic seems to be Scottish. That makes it even more intriguing to me.
"Most reproductions are of the "pierced plate" variety and that would seem to be what is most popular and archetypical in design. "

The fact that a particular design is the most commonly reproduced simply means that it is the most readily available sample, either through photographs or museum pieces. It's no indication of what modern collectors find interesting.
Hi Patrick,
I also like the English basket a lot. One reason being that it's pretty large: 5 1/2 to 6" from base of grip to capstan, so there's lots of room for one's hand. The other reason is that sometimes a stiff design works well, as in this example.

The blade is 34" long, about 1 1/2" wide at the hilt, and there's a few traces of etching on the left side.

Weight is under 3 lbs, but I can't remember by how much.

--ElJay
Mac

I can't help but notice the fullers on that one, I can't tell, is it the light or are they fairly ununiform, is it double fullered? Or all that just funky lighting?

Josh

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Nathan

Yes, that is a real beauty !

Vince sent me a post card of that one, but the only info on it says :
"Basket-hilted broadsword said to have been carried by a highland officer at the storming of Quebec in 1759".

[ Linked Image ]

The design of this piece has Walter Allan's name all over it , yet it is not a signed basket .... so who knows ?

Vince studied this piece, and took lot's of notes, so perhaps when he returns from Hawaii he'll give us his thoughts on it !

Wonderful baskethilt , Mac
Joshua Hemingway wrote:
I can't help but notice the fullers on that one, I can't tell, is it the light or are they fairly ununiform, is it double fullered? Or all that just funky lighting?

Looks like twin fullers to me...
I happened by this old post and figured I would add a few shots I took of this baskethilt, as it really is such a nice piece !

Mac

*All Photos - T. McDonald, 2005.

Attachment: 62.06 KB
Culloden to Edinburgh crop 1001.jpg

Attachment: 49.09 KB
Edin baskethilt.jpg

Attachment: 50.15 KB
edin baskethilt 3.jpg

Attachment: 39.63 KB
edin baskethilt 4.jpg

Attachment: 23.12 KB
edin baskethilt 6.jpg

Attachment: 49.36 KB
edin baskethilt 5.jpg

Attachment: 38.28 KB
edin baskethilt 2.jpg

Attachment: 45.34 KB
edinbaskethilt 7.jpg

Mac! Thank you for those new photos. I included one in the original post in this topic just to make it read better to those just coming here.

The newer photos give a real good look at the fullering of the blade. Quite beautiful.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Mac! Thank you for those new photos. I included one in the original post in this topic just to make it read better to those just coming here.
The newer photos give a real good look at the fullering of the blade. Quite beautiful.

Hi Nathan

Aye, those narrow fullers running so close to each other really are awesome !
Must be a bear to keep from accidently cutting into the one next door !

Gorgeous sword all around, Mac

Attachment: 49.22 KB
edin baskethilt 8.jpg

Attachment: 50.26 KB
edin baskethilt 9.jpg

Attachment: 47.47 KB
edin basket grip.jpg

Attachment: 52.54 KB
edin basket side guard.jpg

Hi,
I also like this hilt style. As you say, the openness in the hilt is beautyful. But I think the english military basket that ElJay shows has a more "finished" front (knucklebar etc) than that scottish one. But overall I like the scottish one better.

One of the things I really love about original scottish basket hilts is that the rear quillon/wrist guard leans towards the wrist. And that is a thing I miss on repros; they usually have a crossguard that is alligned almost 90 degrees with the blade.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Mac and Eljay. Two lovely swords!

Cheers,
Henrik
Thanks for reviving this, Mac. That is really an incredible looking sword. I think I might have to change my background....

Thanks,

Kenton
Your welcome, guys ... my pleasure !

Here is another nice basket-hilt, L1931-67, that was at Edinburgh Castle.

Cheers, Mac

Attachment: 35.64 KB
edinburgh basket 2.jpg

Attachment: 48.87 KB
edinburgh basket 3.jpg

Attachment: 50.93 KB
edinburgh basket.jpg

Attachment: 34.13 KB
edinburgh basket 8.jpg

Attachment: 48.28 KB
edinburgh basket 4.jpg

Attachment: 48.09 KB
edinburgh basket 6.jpg

Attachment: 58.27 KB
edinburgh basket 9.jpg

Attachment: 47.56 KB
edinburgh basket 7.jpg

Both baskethilts are beautiful.

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
"...One of the things I really love about original scottish basket hilts is that the rear quillon/wrist guard leans towards the wrist. And that is a thing I miss on repros; they usually have a crossguard that is alligned almost 90 degrees with the blade."

That is an interesting point that I had not thought about before.
Steve,
It took me a lot of staring :eek: on pictures before I saw this detail, and now it's one of the first things I look for at basket hilts :D

Cheers,
Henrik

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: