Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question for Peter Johnsson, if I may. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: A question for Peter Johnsson, if I may.         Reply with quote

If its possible to answer this question in any way, I would absolutly love to know what design you consider to be the pinnacle of your sword design career?

I know this question may be overly simplistic, ignoring the many considerations by whcih a sword is designed and the given relative framework into which an envisioned sword design is projected, but perhaps there is one sword that has struck, and continues to resonate with, the tune of your heart and mind unlike any other.

Maybe it carries the performance crown, or the crown of elegant beauty. Perhaps it wears the crown of synthesis, of harmony and balance.

If such a sword does not exist, perhaps you could offer a bit of your vision of your personal "dream sword". Cool

Thanks for whatever you can provide us,
Lance
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I won't presume to speak for Mr. Johnsson, but speaking for myself I hope I haven't reached the "pinnacle" of my career yet. Hopefully the pinnacle is still out there somewhere. Preferrably just before I'm dead. Happy I suspect most craftsman feel the same.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several swords that are special to me, but that is more from personal reasons rather than the swords being especially happy designs.
As far as rconstructions go, there are two that hold a special place to me. The reconstruction of the sword of Svante Nillson was a milestone for me as craftsman. That was now some seven years ago, with a reveisit as the Albion museum line version was developed.
Recently a similar experience was the reconstruction of the XVIIIb from the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum.
Those two swords were special as they offered some challenges and also provided important lessons to learn.

As most craftsmen I try to imporve my work as I move along. IŽd like to see the next sword being in some aspects better, than the last one.
My focus and interest also tend to shift over time. It is also as is the nature with any craft impossible to ever reach an absolute goal.

I have a deep fasciantion and love for the blades of the bronze age. That has so far been an unfulfilled love affair.

I also want to incorporate patternwelding in my work. There is some progress there, but IŽve very far to go yet.

Another theme IŽd like to explore is the sword from a mythological/symbolical perspective. IŽd like to make sword that are not first of all true to historical types/examples but rather explore the sword as it grows beyond the strictly traditional.

It is quite impossible to pick one sword in my rather limited production that is "the best".
I hope I have more years ahead of me doing this, than I have years behind me.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I hope I have more years ahead of me doing this, than I have years behind me.

So do we Peter, so do we....

Thank you for all of the work you've done at Albion. I certainly love the quality that Albion is able to provide due, in part, to your research and input. I am sure that you take great pride in being able to know that as a result of your efforts, many sword enthusiasts have been born and are able to continue in their passion with such quality products available. I hope this doesn't get too far off the original topic, but have you ever thought of publishing any of your research? I'm sure there are many of us who would find it of great interest.....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question for Peter Johnsson, if I may.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic