Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes a good tough smallsword for stage combat? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Who makes a good tough smallsword for stage combat?         Reply with quote

I am looking for a smallsword for stage combat that is very sturdy and probably would have to have a musketeer blade. I imagine the best one is made by Arms and Armor, but there are others made by Darkwood Armory and CAS Iberia (the Scottish Court Sword and the George Washington dress sword) Are there others? Which one do you recommend?
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Since I used to own one, and regret selling it, I would have to say the Arms & Armor smallsword. It comes with a shortened double-wide epee "musketeer" blade rounded at the point. It's definitely worth its price and I'm positive it would last you many years of hard use if used for stage combat.

I used to own the Hanwei George Washington smallsword & I own the Scottish smallsword. While they are nice and based upon originals they are too heavy for a smallsword (Scottish smallsword 1lb 10oz) and a bit oversized. Their hollow ground triangular blades are quite stiff and sharp (pointed). I do know of a few people who have purchased them & replaced the blade. Bill Grandy mounted his with a epee blade. He ended up replacing the handle & pommel. I believe Mario Perez had his George Washington smallsword that I sold to him mounted with an aluminum blade made by D.L. Baker.

If you don't need it right away I'd like to suggest Dennis Graves of No Quarter Arms. He was Erik Stevenson's (Phoenix Metal Creations) teacher.

I have also found these rather inexpensive smallswords online. I do not know of their quality and they do not look bad for the price.

Castle Keep Ltd.
http://www.reenact.com/18th.html

As for other smallswords out there, I have not seen them in person and they really do not interest me.

American Fencers Supply Co.
amfence.com

Popinjay's
http://www.popinj.com/

I hope this helps,

regards,
Stephen

Attachment: 46.73 KB
Dscn0845.jpg
Hanwei Scottish Smallsword & Arms & Armor Smallsword

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Tue 13 Jan, 2004 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attachment: 27.09 KB
Dscn0564.jpg
size comparison
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Stephen
Jim Post

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good tough smallsword for stage combat?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I am looking for a smallsword for stage combat that is very sturdy and probably would have to have a musketeer blade. I imagine the best one is made by Arms and Armor, but there are others made by Darkwood Armory and CAS Iberia (the Scottish Court Sword and the George Washington dress sword) Are there others? Which one do you recommend?

A new entry in the field is the smallsword blade offered by Alchem. It is a safe-flex blade, a bigger version of the blade offered on some daggers. It is quite flexible and strong. My main problem with it is the same that I have with double-wide epee blades: The darn things are meant to bend one way, down away from the flat top. Since I attack with both pronation and suppination, as well as with the hand in middle position, I favor a diamond-section blade. I use a Hanwei rapier blade that I cut down, it bends nicely in either direction (although it is quite stiff, though not as bad as a double-epee). The safe-flex blade is designed for only one flex direction, but it is far less stiff than any other I've used ( I base this on using a dagger blade, I've not used the big one, though it is supposed to act the same way). It certainly is easier on opponents than the others. Most of the historical fencers in my club don't like to go up against a "musketeer" blade, since it leaves nasty bruises when thrust with force.

Jim

World's second-youngest curmudgeon
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen smallswords from both American Fencers and Popinjay. The Amfence sword is kind of crude looking, with a tubular shaped hilt, but it would more than suffice for stage use, and it probably wouldn't make much difference to the audience.

The Popinjay one is much better looking, and would also work wonderfully for stage. My only real problem with theirs is that the grip is way too long for a proper smallsword. But if historical accuracy isn't important to you, then it's a good alternative.

I know I've eyed the A&A one for a while, but having bought three A&A's within the past six months, and with a custom one from them due to arrive within the next two months, I think I have to cool it for now. Happy

Jim,
Just so you're aware, technically all blades are meant to only flex one way, whether diamond section or not. Flexing both ways will drastically shorten to life of any fencing blade. Whether you thrust in supponation or pronation really shouldn't make a difference. (That said, I do this wrong all the time, and I even know better! I'm just terrible with my swords.)
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered the Arms and Armor smallsword. It's more expensive than the others, but at least I know that it is built to last, and that the knuckle guard won't break off if it gets dropped onto the stage floor.

Cold Steel is coming out with a smallsword. It looks nice, costs $400.00 (scabbard included), not sure of its quality. At that price it better be decent. http://www.coldsteel.com/csstoreonline/88sms.html
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I ordered the Arms and Armor smallsword. It's more expensive than the others, but at least I know that it is built to last, and that the knuckle guard won't break off if it gets dropped onto the stage floor.

Cold Steel is coming out with a smallsword. It looks nice, costs $400.00 (scabbard included), not sure of its quality. At that price it better be decent. http://www.coldsteel.com/csstoreonline/88sms.html

Excellent choice. The A&A will also have the added advantage of superior ergonomics and balance-- i.e. you can wield it longer without hand fatigue.

As for the Cold Steel, I am very interested in that one as well. I only hope the photo is a fluke and they intend to mount them them right-handed too. The price will certainly be significantly lower at some retailers once the swords are out for distribution.

JSA
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: stage smallsword link         Reply with quote

http://www.fatchett.com/fiocchi

Fiocchi Sword - his hilt work looks nice and stage smallswords are his specialty.

Jon
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good choice Roger. I'm sure you'll like it.

James,

I sent Cold Steel an email about their picture. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: stage smallsword link         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
http://www.fatchett.com/fiocchi

Fiocchi Sword - his hilt work looks nice and stage smallswords are his specialty.

Jon

Jonathon,
Thanks for the link. His stuff looks pretty good from the pictures. I've never heard of him before.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"While they are nice and based upon originals they are too heavy for a smallsword (Scottish smallsword 1lb 10oz) and a bit oversized."

Even though original smallswords greatly varied in size & form. I believe this picture should better help illustrate my statement about the Hanwei's being oversized.

Note the thickness of the ricasso.

Attachment: 47.75 KB
DSCN2468.JPG

Attachment: 49.76 KB
DSCN2478.JPG

Attachment: 40.88 KB
DSCN2471.JPG

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are excellent comparison photos, Stephen. The Hanwei one really does have a fat ricasso. It's a beautiful sword, no doubt, but it's these small subtleties that Hanwei tends to miss with their recreations.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes a good tough smallsword for stage combat?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic