Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Something for about everyone Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Something for about everyone         Reply with quote

I'm not even sure where to begin with this link. There is a ton of high quality detailed photos covering a vast array of interest here. There is a bit of japanese swords and armour, european armour, a roman crocodile suit of armour, to who knows what really. I found the site though a link to photos of the Arch of Trojan, and there are just various photos of famous places in Italy and I assume elsewhere as well.

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/

Just dig a bit and I promise it will be worth your time. Here is a sample for you.
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid5/austria/graz/m...nd_armour/
That is one heck of a storage room.

I really have to get some sleep, but I can't leave this alone.

Shane
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane,
That was excellent. Thanks for the link!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They also have loads of pictures of Turkish arms and armour:
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/turkey/istanbu...dy_armour/
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/turkey/istanbu...r/helmets/
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/turkey/istanbu...nd_arrows/
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/turkey/istanbu...our/maces/
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/turkey/istanbu...ur/swords/
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Landeszeughaus in Graz!

I visited it (again) about three months ago, with brand new digital camera, extra flash and spare batteries, and I found out that the photographing isn't allowed any more! Cry Not even a little, bit or without a flash, completely forbidden.

Due to too many violations in copyright, people were allegedly using images taken there for commercial purposes.

But the trip was worth it, instead of photographing I spent the whole day at actually looking various details of arms and armour there, and I talked with the staff and renovators... I will visit it again, no doubt.

Only right now I have my eyes on castle Churburg. And maybe Leeds...

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*cough* Fourth post down *cough*

Heh. J/K of course. I know it's easy to miss these things...
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1704 x 2560 pixels! Those boys don't mess around when they take a picture, do they? But then, when you have 5 raids Eek! (if I'm understanding the meaning of that URL), then I guess there is space for it.

That looks like some pretty neat stuff (obviously I haven't looked through the whole thing yet). Thanks for sharing (again (hey, I missed it too Razz )).

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Easy to miss I guess.. Silly me for thinking a resource like this needed it's own thread rather than a brief mention in an off topics thread.

See if I bother again...

Shane
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane,

I hope you do bother. I had missed it before, and appreciate seeing it. You might want to do a quick search in the future, but I wouldn't let this keep you from posting neat stuff.

-Grey

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Easy, guys. Let's not get feisty over nothing. Let's watch how we phrase things (C.L.) and let's also remember that this is a hobby for most of us, and nothing to get worked up over (Shane).

We ought to be having fun. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never seen armour before, that tried to imitate 16th century fashion more than this one. Even the puffings and slashings on the leg-armour are visible. The "jacket" also looks like a real one made of steel. I guess that metal war-skirt is removable. Eek!

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/austria/vienna...cn9962.JPG
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang,

That is an interesting piece, to be certain. Not my cup of tea, but still intesting. I'm curious about the little ring to the wearer's left (to the right in the photo) of center. My first impression is that it might have been used, in conjuction with another around back, for suspending a sword. Does anybody know if that is correct? If that isn't what is for, then what is it for?

-Grey

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L. wants and deserves credit for finding this place and he has that as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I have been more than a little frustrated with things lately on here. I know I shouldn't take things to seriously around here because it is a hobby to most, but the flip side is that it is a hell of a lot more to the people who are into this more than just a hobby. Every so often I just have to take a break from the forums, and it is about time for another one for me.

Shane
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:
Landeszeughaus in Graz!

I visited it (again) about three months ago, with brand new digital camera, extra flash and spare batteries, and I found out that the photographing isn't allowed any more! Cry Not even a little, bit or without a flash, completely forbidden.

Cripes...this means I'll have to draw a whole load of sketches when I go there this easter. Ah well...at least the stuff is on display.

John Schubert Moen
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Wolfgang,

That is an interesting piece, to be certain. Not my cup of tea, but still intesting. I'm curious about the little ring to the wearer's left (to the right in the photo) of center. My first impression is that it might have been used, in conjuction with another around back, for suspending a sword. Does anybody know if that is correct? If that isn't what is for, then what is it for?

-Grey

Ahh, I totally overlooked that little thing! Yes, that could be a possibility.
I only noticed the "hook" that keeps the the war-skirt attached to the rest. It's definitely a strange and rare design. Despite all those articulations the arms look like they're quite restricted in their movements.
Could that armour be a parade-armour not intended for real use? The owner was definitely rich judging from those golden ornamentations.
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice ... (BTW, I did post number 30000 on HAT)
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan S. Moen wrote:
Blaz Berlec wrote:
Landeszeughaus in Graz!

Cripes...this means I'll have to draw a whole load of sketches when I go there this easter. Ah well...at least the stuff is on display.

John Schubert Moen

I think it is still possible to get permittion to photograph items, but you must contact them in advance, so they can arrange a supervised visit. It is only possible on weekdays, you have to state why do you need the photographs, and I think you have to sign some sort of agreement not to publish pictures taken there. If I understod the curator correctly, my German is even worse than English.

Well, they certainly complicated matters. If you are interested in particular details, I can browse through my pictures and see if I have them photographed.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane - I'm very sorry if I offended you or if I came off like a jerk in my comment. I added the "J/K" into that post in an attempt to indicate that it was not to be taken too seriously. You're absolutely right, ArtServe is a wonderful resource and absolutely deserves its own thread. I do not think that it is reasonable to expect all members of a forum to have read every single post, nor should they be expected to store in their memory every resource which has been previously mention. To demand anything of the kind would quickly cripple a site such as this, which would be a great loss indeed. Given all of this, it is quite clear that postings regarding a given topic or resource will inevitably be repeated, and this is perfectly fine.
In posting what I had intended as a good natured jibe, one with no malice behind it what-so-ever, I realize that I was assuming an unwarranted degree of familiarity and that such a remark could easily be interpreted as boorish.
I apologize. I will be more conscious of my tone in the future, and will do my best to prevent a similar situation from arising.
Thank you, Shane, for bringing this wonderful resource to the attention of the community. Please, please don't hesitate to do so in the future.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:

I think it is still possible to get permittion to photograph items, but you must contact them in advance, so they can arrange a supervised visit. It is only possible on weekdays, you have to state why do you need the photographs, and I think you have to sign some sort of agreement not to publish pictures taken there. If I understod the curator correctly, my German is even worse than English.

Well, they certainly complicated matters. If you are interested in particular details, I can browse through my pictures and see if I have them photographed.

Ah, I'll try that then. I don't really know what I'll be taking pictures of/sketching, whatever I see that catches my fancy I guess. But thank you very much for your kind offer!

Johan Schubert Moen
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While browsing this site I found something very interesting.
The armour of Maximilan I. shows clear sign of use. Note the little dents in the breastplate! Are these the results of cross-bow impacts? Or even attempts to penetrate the armour with pikes or halberds?

Also note the interesting transitional design of the armour - right between the typical late gothic harness and the early renaissance armour. You can see that it still looks very gothic but already features the more rounded surfaces of the renaissance. The sallet land the bevor look like a bastard between a typical maximilian-style close-helmet and a late gothic sallet.

Pic: http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/austria/vienna...cn0050.JPG

more pics: http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid4/austria/vienna...index.html

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Something for about everyone
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic