Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norse spear and axe heads Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dave Womble

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Norse spear and axe heads         Reply with quote

I have the Anglo Saxon Shield by IP Stephenson, and Swords of the Viking Age by Ian Peirce, but is there anything similar devoted to spears and axes? As far as typologies, periods of use, regions of use? Were spears and axes standard throughout Scandinavia during the 8th-11th centuries, or were there regional differences (Norwegian gear influenced by the British Isles, Swedish gear influenced by the Slavs, Danish gear influenced by the Franks, etc etc)?

Also, what evidence do we have (archeological, artistic or literary) of non typical weapons used during the viking age within Scandinavia? You hear plenty about axes, spears, swords and archery, and a few references to something that could possibly be a poll axe or halberd like weapon (already discussed in a previous thread by Hank Reinhardt) but what about bludgeoning weapons like clubs, flails, maces and hammers?

I've often wondered if oars or carpentry tools (mallets, shipbuilding axes and the like) were ever pressed into service as weapons of war, or even for home defense. We'll likely never know for certain, but I'm just curious as to wether or not there's any evidence of non typical viking weapons.

Dave

"Violence might not be the answer, but it sure cuts down on the number of questions."
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may want to find "De Norske Vikingesverd" printed in 1919 by Jan Petersen (Here is a link to some of that); Hersir 793-1066 AD by Mark Harrison and Gerry Embelton (Osprey book), or M. J. Swanton's "The Spearheads of the Anglo-Saxon Settlements"

There were bunch of threads around that discussed these books. Here is one

Alexi
Dave Womble

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I'll browse through it, and see if I can find a copy of the book...wonder if it's been reprinted.....

I have Osprey's Hersir, I'll have to gander through it again.

Never seen Swanton's work, that'll be on my "to get" list.

Thanks!

Dave

"Violence might not be the answer, but it sure cuts down on the number of questions."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norse spear and axe heads
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic