Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL open-face sallet -- opinions? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Philip Cromwell

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: MRL open-face sallet -- opinions?         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just noticed that Museum Replicas has their open-faced sallet on closeout. Their helmets aren't the best, in my opinion, but I've used them before and they're perfectly serviceable as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone have experience with this particular model, positive or negative? In particular, does anyone know the size? I have what some people refer to as a 'ginormous noggin' and I'd hate to spend anything on it and then have to resell it because it didn't fit. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Philip
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the open faced sallet looks more like a barbuta to me if i remember right. if tis the one i'm thinking. dont use a mrl for any combat. unless you like beating out the dents. i have the italian style they quit making. thought it sorta looked like the real thing, it was too wide and bulky. and has about 4-5 nice sized dents from light taps with a wooden waster.
Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL open-face sallet -- opinions?         Reply with quote

Philip Cromwell wrote:
Hi all,

I've just noticed that Museum Replicas has their open-faced sallet on closeout. Their helmets aren't the best, in my opinion, but I've used them before and they're perfectly serviceable as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone have experience with this particular model, positive or negative? In particular, does anyone know the size? I have what some people refer to as a 'ginormous noggin' and I'd hate to spend anything on it and then have to resell it because it didn't fit. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Philip

I recently bought this helm on ebay for a little under the MRL website price. It's 18 gauge mild steel with acceptable articulation and a mediocre liner. The chin strap isn't really a strap, but a leather tie which doesn't work that well. The crown of the helm itself is a bit small on me, but my head is slightly on the large size. I actually had to bend it to fit my skull when it first came. Like chuck said, it will take plenty of dents, but it would be great for costume, light sparring, or controlled sparring. Hope this helps!

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net
George Doby

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

got one last week. the suspension leather is VERY slick. rolls around on my head unless set deep in helm. arming cap might take care of the slickness. would of been better if it was suede or rough out. no complaints other than that tho havn't done anything cept wear it some.
don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL open-face sallet -- opinions?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic