Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squireline/Maestroline Question! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Squireline/Maestroline Question!         Reply with quote

Any plans on introducing some Roman era weapns in thise lines. I heard of many who would wellcome a Squireline Gladius or spathae (yepp, me too). There is currently a lack of good blunted Roman stuff and many of the more "into the fray" History researchers around would be very happy if this was realized.

Thanx a million!

Martin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Squireline/Maestroline Question!         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Any plans on introducing some Roman era weapns in thise lines. I heard of many who would wellcome a Squireline Gladius or spathae (yepp, me too). There is currently a lack of good blunted Roman stuff and many of the more "into the fray" History researchers around would be very happy if this was realized.

Thanx a million!

Martin

Hmm...

Would not a proper rudis be most appropriate for blunt training for the gladius?
The problem with blunt spahae is that a major part of the cost for these swords is in the woodwork. Lots of handwork to get them fitted properly. A blunt would therefore cost about as much as a sharp.

Still interesting you think?
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arms and armour makes a decent, basic gladius, at 190 €;
http://www.arms-armor.cz/index.php?catalog=tr...mp;cath=SW
Pugio, with scabard; 135€
http://www.arms-armor.cz/index.php?catalog=tr...mp;cath=DA

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yepp! because all the vike and other roman groups don´t want me to hack away and stab them if I gor a sharp. And if me and the boys are gonna make some serious research on how the spathae and the gladius realy worked we need also steel to test with. I want the sharp ones anyway and negotiations is on the way here in my home. (The girlfriend though rather go to the Red Sea then se me with lots of swords, UNbeliveble!!).

Martin

Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A production rudis would be an interesting manufacturing challenge. As far as spathae, seeing as we have record of the appropriate gladius training tools, is there any documentable information regarding how folks trained with the spatha, or was the spatha just something "picked up in the field" by the average Roman soldier and learned the hard way?

Interesting topic, Martin Happy .
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Yepp! because all the vike and other roman groups don´t want me to hack away and stab them if I gor a sharp. And if me and the boys are gonna make some serious research on how the spathae and the gladius realy worked we need also steel to test with. I want the sharp ones anyway and negotiations is on the way here in my home. (The girlfriend though rather go to the Red Sea then se me with lots of swords, UNbeliveble!!).

Martin

Send Lotta off to the Red Sea and go get them swords for yerself once she's out of the way then. Wink
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Martin Wallgren wrote:

Martin

Send Lotta off to the Red Sea and go get them swords for yerself once she's out of the way then. Wink

Hehe, this is not a question of so easely resolved. One want to have a home to bring ém back to!

Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:

Hehe, this is not a question of so easely resolved. One want to have a home to bring ém back to!

Although I know it's she who wears ZE PANTS in your household.... You can keep them swords at my place. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squireline/Maestroline Question!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic