Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brazil Nut Pommels on 14th Century Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Brazil Nut Pommels on 14th Century Swords         Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that 14th century swords were sometimes made with Brazil nuts; I thought this style of pommel had fallen out of usage in the 13th century. Perhaps the swords were deliberately made to emulate the older medieval style of Brazil nut pommel? At any rate, it would be cool to see modern reproductions done of any one of the three swords with Brazil nuts here, particularly the sword on the far right:

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brazil Nut Pommels on 14th Century Swords         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I wasn't aware that 14th century swords were sometimes made with Brazil nuts; I thought this style of pommel had fallen out of usage in the 13th century. Perhaps the swords were deliberately made to emulate the older medieval style of Brazil nut pommel? At any rate, it would be cool to see modern reproductions done of any one of the three swords with Brazil nuts here, particularly the sword on the far right:

That sword (on the far right) seems very similar to the "Gaddjhalt" type swords (long spike-like guard) which are usually dated to few centuries earlier. The blade is almost typical Geibig type V which was also popular before the 13th century. I do not know why one will call this sword a 14th century one, but if you want a sword that looks like that, there are several already available out there.

Alexi
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did notice another copy of the same photo mentioned that the swords were dated from the 13th and 14th centuries. If so, that might explain things. However, to me, the sword to the far right appears to have a broader cutting blade than a sword like the Gaddjhalt, but that simply might be a misperception on my part.
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Craig Peters, Thank you so much for posting that pic. I have a Brazil nut pommel thing going on right now and I don't care what century they from, it is a thrill seeing more examples. My thanks again. Big Grin Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Greetings Craig Peters, Thank you so much for posting that pic. I have a Brazil nut pommel thing going on right now and I don't care what century they from, it is a thrill seeing more examples. My thanks again. Big Grin Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

Patrick,

I know the feeling. Not too long ago, Brazil nuts were not particularly of interest to me. Yet ever since Albion released the Reeve, they've grown on me, and now I'd like to add a sword to my collection at some point that has a Brazil nut. One thing I like about them is that when you see one on a sword, it's almost guaranteed that the weapon is truly "medieval" rather than dating from the late middle ages or into the Renaissance. I've also come to appreciate different pommel styles because they add variety to one's sword collection. In many ways, the appearance of the pommel supplies much of the sword's visual character. And swords with different pommels have a significantly different character and "feel" from one another.
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Patrick,

I know the feeling. Not too long ago, Brazil nuts were not particularly of interest to me. Yet ever since Albion released the Reeve, they've grown on me, and now I'd like to add a sword to my collection at some point that has a Brazil nut. One thing I like about them is that when you see one on a sword, it's almost guaranteed that the weapon is truly "medieval" rather than dating from the late middle ages or into the Renaissance. I've also come to appreciate different pommel styles because they add variety to one's sword collection. In many ways, the appearance of the pommel supplies much of the sword's visual character. And swords with different pommels have a significantly different character and "feel" from one another.

Greetings Craig, I actually have not liked them for a very long time. I guess my Viking/ Norman interest started changing that. The introduction of Albion's Reeve and Sword of St. Maurice Turin definitely fanned the flame. I have a Reeve ordered now. Big Grin I am looking forward to it.
I have recently sold off quite a bit of my collection as I too started thirsting for some visual and "physical" variety. Things were getting a tad stale so it's time to liven it up. Big Grin Sincerely, Patrick

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brazil Nut Pommels on 14th Century Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic