Scythian tip of a spear.
What for a bronze insert?

Attachment: 33.96 KB
IMG_0002.jpg

From the shape, I wonder if it's an insert or something like a bronze scale that was resting against the spearhead at the site of discovery?

Attachment: 57.74 KB
scythian_scale_armor.jpg

Matt G wrote:
From the shape, I wonder if it's an insert or something like a bronze scale that was resting against the spearhead at the site of discovery?

Could you clarify if you mean that someone deliberately set a scale on the spear or if a scale was haphazardly laying on the spear?

It looks to me that the shape is to symetrical with the rest of the spear to have been random.

Alex
Alex,

Yes, I do mean the possibility that the spearhead was resting against a scale; something similar to the image below.
I do see your point with regard to the symetry; the patinated area is pretty darn close to the centerline.
They have such a rich history of artistry; I'd really be interested to see an example of an inlaid Scythian spear!

Attachment: 92.72 KB
scythian_grave_site.jpg

Got it. I thought that was what you ment but I wasn't sure. Nice diagram by the way.

I could be wrong but it does look pretty deliberate to me.

Alex
Incrustation is executed in the form of an insert which pene
Incrustation is executed in the form of an insert which penetrates an edge

Attachment: 94.94 KB
IMG_0003e.jpg

scythian axe
Where were these found? I am very interested in seeing a side view of that axe, or any other scytho-sarmatian or other iron steppe axes.
Hello! I am lurking in this forum for more than an year now and I found here a lot of useful informations. Thank you all for this. But now let's return to the topic.
This types of spear points look very similar with items found in Romania, mostly in eastern part, namely Moldavia. Are those findings from Romania?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: