Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bugei vs Hanwei Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Bugei vs Hanwei         Reply with quote

Looking at swords at the $1000 mark, generally will a Bugei blade have superior quality to a hand forged Hanwei? I know both companies have a partnership but I don't know the nature of it or how that affects the quality of each.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugei vs Hanwei         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Looking at swords at the $1000 mark, generally will a Bugei blade have superior quality to a hand forged Hanwei? I know both companies have a partnership but I don't know the nature of it or how that affects the quality of each.

Aren't all the production-level swords offered by Bugei created by Hanwei? Of those, aren't most exclusive to Bugei and created to their specs?

This is how I understand it.

If this is true, then the Bugei models are perhaps likely to be designed with a slightly different philosophy than the standard Hanwei models. Better or worse? Who knows? One thing for sure is that you'll enjoy the benefit of Bugei's better quality control over many other Hanwei distributors.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bugei vs Hanwei         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lance Karsten wrote:

Aren't all the production-level swords offered by Bugei created by Hanwei? Of those, aren't most exclusive to Bugei and created to their specs?

This is how I understand it.

If this is true, then the Bugei models are perhaps likely to be designed with a slightly different philosophy than the standard Hanwei models. Better or worse? Who knows? One thing for sure is that you'll enjoy the benefit of Bugei's better quality control over many other Hanwei distributors.

Basicly, Bugei blades are made by the Hanwei forge, to Bugei's specs. They are basicly of the same quality then a high-end Hanwei piece from the Folded series. However, Bugei's quality control is a lot better then Hanwei's own QC. People like Keith Larman actually check the swords if I'm not mistaken. Any blades not up to spec are send back to Hanwei, I believe.

However, I've gotta be honoust. In the last month I've read about 3 people who had a few problems with their swords. Then again, looking at how much swords Bugei has sold over the last few years, and this being the only reports I've EVER read about problems with Bugei blades.....

In any case, Keith Larman posts on this board every now and then, so perhaps he can clarify a bit more.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

Just to save my self some money I was also looking at the Hanwei Shinto Katana. At $430, do you suppose the tsuba and grip wrap would be similar in material and worksmanship quality to the $1000 Hanwei, with the price difference comming from the fact the blade is not folded?

The folded blade does not concern me so much as having a high quality sword that is well made in a traditional manner.
Antonio Cejunior

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Just my 0.2 cents         Reply with quote

Hi Lance,

If you have the time, read this article China - Circumstance and Culture.

You draw your own conclusions and I will say no more.

Best Happy

Antonio
BLADESIGN

we all belong to one nation: that of the living
and one race: the human race.
our collective task is to do the best we can for this nation and this race

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bugei vs Hanwei
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic