Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The New World Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: The New World Movie         Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this movie about the Virginia colony in 1607? If you have, what did you think of it. Some critics are calling it a masterpiece, others are falling asleep in the theatre. Certainly Malick can be an acquired taste. Sometimes it seems like he would rather focus on a line of ants walking up a treetrunk than on the two people having a conversation nearby.

But, hey, there are some rapiers in the film. If I had been a member of that expedition, i would have brought something more like a falchion instead of a rapier.
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't seen it yet, but I noticed the still from the movie in this morning's SF Chronicle showed John Smith with one of those bone-handled Hanwei rapiers. Probably not what I'd choose to bring on the expedition... Wink
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the New World, both North And South America, rapiers were quite effective. Native Americans at this time had nothing to combat them with; I don't believe they had access to the technology of metal weapons at this point. In terms of the falchion though, didn't someone on the forums say John Smith or another explorer actually had a falchion?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
In terms of the falchion though, didn't someone on the forums say John Smith or another explorer actually had a falchion?

You're right. I did a search and came up with - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...h+falchion
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just saw the movie. He tries to fight with rapier and dagger in full armour Eek! In the movie, he fights exclusively with the rapier, but on one of the posters, he appears to be carrying what could possibly be a falchion.

Last edited by D. Rosen on Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Question: is the movie good? Question
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't seen it yet, but here's what I know about Smith's arms and armour:

Smith did use a falchion here, but contemporary illustrations of that weapon bear no resemblance to the one shown in the movie (in other words, it's a typical falchion of the period rather than a fantasy weapon). Smith also has been shown in portraits wearing a rapier, and he mentioned spearing fish with swords. That would be tough enough with a rapier, much less a falchion/hanger. So, he probably did use both here. Smith apparently also was a true believer in plate armour, so those depictions of him in the movie also are grounded in fact, even if they have not been translated well onscreen.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the movie last night and thought it to be amazing. My history on the period is a little rusty but from what i remember it was pretty accurate. The movie had the feel of a documentary more then anything, with most of the dialog being done through narration by the characters. I saw on IMDB that it got a 7.4 rating, i thought it deserved that or better. As to the swords, there is use of rapier, but they also show some kind of curved sword a few times, and there were several basket hilts being worn.
I would definitely recommend this movie if you haven't seen it yet. If you have any thought?

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also read quite a few good reviews. I'm definitely going to watch it.
From what I've read the film is more like a renaissance version of Thin Red Line mixed with some adventure *g*
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its been several months since I had seen this movie, and i recently watched again. The movie was slower this time, but still good. This time i payed attention to the swords a bit more, and they do depict John Smith using what looks to be some sort of falchion or hanger in one battle seen. Like i said in my last post my history on this period and topic is pretty rusty. Has anyone else seen the movie that has a better knowledge of this history that can tell be if it is any accurate or not. From what i do remember the movie seemed pretty close. A more educated opinion then my own would be nice. Happy

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am looking forward to watching this film - I just rented the DVD this evening.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I am looking forward to watching this film - I just rented the DVD this evening.

Well, If it's out on DVD then my Friday night plans are locked in! Big Grin
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

both of you enjoy Big Grin

Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tried to watch this movie tonight but I thought it was awful. The comparison to "Thin Red Line" was a big red flag but I decided to chance it.

I was hoping to see some decent swordplay but no such luck. Worried
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm probably going to put this on my netficks que here pretty soon, hopefully it will be better than the last Colin Farrell movie I saw, (Alexander) gag

Kenton
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Question: is the movie good? Question

The movie sucked and sorry I rented it.

Jeff Mad
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw The New World last night. The photography was beautiful. The production clearly tried very hard to present an authentic feel for the people, the places and the period, and they succeeded admirably, IMO. Furthermore, from what I understand of the historic characters and events, the story presented was absolutely consistent with the historic record, in contrast to other films we have recently discussed.

However, there were times when it was a struggle for me to continue sitting through the film. This comes down to Terrence Malick’s method of story telling, using the pictures, with fragmentary thoughts from the characters and limited dialogue. It seemed like his emphasis was in creating a moving painting, more than clearly telling a story, and that made things run a bit slow for me. I’m too accustomed to other action/adventure films, I guess, and just not sophisticated enough for this one….

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I saw The New World last night. The photography was beautiful. The production clearly tried very hard to present an authentic feel for the people, the places and the period, and they succeeded admirably, IMO. Furthermore, from what I understand of the historic characters and events, the story presented was absolutely consistent with the historic record, in contrast to other films we have recently discussed.

However, there were times when it was a struggle for me to continue sitting through the film. This comes down to Terrence Malick’s method of story telling, using the pictures, with fragmentary thoughts from the characters and limited dialogue. It seemed like his emphasis was in creating a moving painting, more than clearly telling a story, and that made things run a bit slow for me. I’m too accustomed to other action/adventure films, I guess, and just not sophisticated enough for this one….

Sort of has to be approached like 2001 A Space Odyssey a great looking film with some interesting ideas but about as fast paced as a glacier. Eek! Had the fortune or misfortune of seeing it many times when it came out and in film class at University.

Genius or pretentious slow moving sludge. Confused Wink Question Depends on one's mood each time I see it.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The New World Movie         Reply with quote

I watched the movie last night and I am clearly in the "fell asleep" group. The rapier with full armour was funny. The easy in which the Native Americans fought men in armour and ran through a formation of pikes was a joke. With all of the nobel red man stuff and ugly European stuff I felt like I was in an Anthropology 101 class.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The New World Movie         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
... The rapier with full armour was funny.
Yeah - the later battle scene, where he used a falchion, fit a bit better.
Quote:
The easy in which the Native Americans fought men in armour and ran through a formation of pikes was a joke.
Smith was supposedly the only professional soldier in the group. I think that the rest of the Englishmen were probably poorly trained.
Quote:
With all of the nobel red man stuff and ugly European stuff I felt like I was in an Anthropology 101 class.
I don't feel the presentation was quite that stereotypical.
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The New World Movie
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: