Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "300"---The Battle of Thermopylae is Coming! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: "300"---The Battle of Thermopylae is Coming!         Reply with quote

Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller’s (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale.

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents in Association with Legendary Pictures and Virtual Studios, a Mark Canton / Gianni Nunnari Production, 300. Directed by Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead), the film stars Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera), Lena Headey (The Brothers Grimm), David Wenham (The Lord of the Rings trilogy), Vincent Regan (Troy), Rodrigo Santoro (Love Actually) and Dominic West (The Forgotten). Gianni Nunnari (The Departed), Mark Canton, Bernie Goldmann (Land of the Dead) and Jeffrey Silver (Training Day) are the producers. Snyder and Kurt Johnstad adapted the graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, with a previous draft of the script by Michael Gordon. The executive producers are Frank Miller, Deborah Snyder, Craig J. Flores, Thomas Tull, William Fay and Benjamin Waisbren. The creative behind-the-scenes team is led by director of photography Larry Fong, production designer James Bissell, editor Bill Hoy and costume designer Michael Wilkinson. Music is by Tyler Bates.

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thermopylae was perhaps my first historical obsession, so part of me wants to squee like a little fanboy at this news. But given Hollywood's track record in this area (and the fact that it's based on a graphic novel and not something a bit more respectable like Gates of Fire), I can't help but wish for the grey eyed daughter of Zeus to smite this project before it can unleash its evil upon the world. That said, those screenshots indicate a movie with outstanding art direction. That alone could be reason to see it, even if they are messing with my ancestors.

Go and tell the Spartans, o stranger passing by,
That we were digitally rendered, using CGI...

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The story of Leonidas and his men is what made me choose old Greek as my third language to learn at school back then Happy

I really like Miller's work and Sin City is one of the best comic (of course it's a graphic novel Wink) adaptations of all time. Imho it was the best movie in 2005.

Okay, I haven't read "300" but I'm sure Miller wrote a great story inspired by the historical facts. Maybe it's not fully accurate but 'im sure it will be better than sRTVWE%T"$T Gladiator.
Let's hope for the best Happy

The pix look awesome considering that it's all bluescreen.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One advantage of basing a movie on a graphic novel is that you have a head start on the story boards. There will also be less material you have to prune than if you were basing it on a novel.

I really liked Sin City visually, the way it combined the actors with a background that was only limited by the director's imagination. I disliked it's story, which came across to me as the fantasies of a fourteen year old. I hope that the script for the 300 is better.
Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Creepy. I just finished Gates of Fire last night, and was wondering why nobody had made a movie about Thermopylae. Eek!
I can't wait.

Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Derek Wassom wrote:
Creepy. I just finished Gates of Fire last night, and was wondering why nobody had made a movie about Thermopylae. Eek!
I can't wait.

They made one in the 70's called "300 Spartans" starring Richard Egan. By today's standards it's pretty cheesy. May be have low budget and cheesy even for the standards of the 70's. Historically inaccurate, blah, blah, blah. Melodramatic, blah, blah, blah. Shoehorned a ridiculous love story, blah, blah, blah. I own the DVD as I can't seem to resist "Sword and Sandal" movies, no matter how badly done they are.

"They" have been working on getting Gates of Fire filmed for the last 5 years without much progress. Rumors of Michael Mann being recruited to direct abound, they have not cast anyone (except for George Clooney who evidently purchased the movie rights and is rumored to be the producer). I am not optimistic about Gates of Fire movie coming out any time soon.

Frank Miller's 300 should be fine in it's own terms, as long as we remember that this is a movie adaptation of a graphic novel, and only tenuously connected with historical facts. I think a criticism of historical inaccuracy would be somewhat misplaced for this. Besides, I've always held that the nitpicking criticism of historical inaccuracy is a tempest in a teapot when we are discussing movies as medium of entertainment, that's a subject for another thread.
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I realize that it does take time and effort to design graphics like that and that the special effects people are not lazy but those shots just look too fake to me.

I realize that the finished product will probably be cleaner than that but I prefer movies that are based on actual sets rather that actors running around in front of a green/blue screen. When I see movies made in this way it seems as though there is no real connection between the actors and what is going on around them.

I realize that I am probably opening up a pandora's box with this and am not intending to change the discussion from Marcos' original topic.

I have always been interested in the history of this event as well and that may be why I am annoyed by the graphics.

Sorry for the rant. I probably should hold off judgement until I actually see the finished movie.

Later... Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys. Don't forget the 1000 Thespians who stood and died with the Spartans.W
tweetchris
Cole Sibley

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder how it will end?
C. Stackhouse

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, think of it this way. It may not be as 'historically accurate' as other films but the visuals seem outstanding, and the story as we know is incredible.

I have some pretty high hopes for this movie, but so help me god, if they try to wedge a patchwork love story into this...
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Thermopylae was perhaps my first historical obsession, so part of me wants to squee like a little fanboy at this news. But given Hollywood's track record in this area (and the fact that it's based on a graphic novel and not something a bit more respectable like Gates of Fire), I can't help but wish for the grey eyed daughter of Zeus to smite this project before it can unleash its evil upon the world.

Given the track record of adapting Miller's comics into film, I'd say all bets are off on this one.

The stills look beautiful, at the very least... not to mention quite faithful to the comic.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
One advantage of basing a movie on a graphic novel is that you have a head start on the story boards. There will also be less material you have to prune than if you were basing it on a novel.

I really liked Sin City visually, the way it combined the actors with a background that was only limited by the director's imagination. I disliked it's story, which came across to me as the fantasies of a fourteen year old. I hope that the script for the 300 is better.

Well, to be fair, Frank said in an interview that he deliberately wanted the classic film noir style type movie, but he wanted to restore the violence that had been sanitized from so many of the film noir movies of old. Consequently, the cliched dialogue is appropriate for the genre, and Miller does succeed in capturing the excess of violence that he found missing in older films.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Not that you'd notice it from most comic adaptations until recently... like video game movies now (please wither and die, doktor Boll), it used to be as if the people making them actually despised the source material. It's different now, thankfully, after Spiderman, X-Men, Hellboy and Sin City.

Quote:

Heh. Sin City is a genre all its own. It's been described as "hyper noir". Kinda like... well, if noir was Jazz, Sin City would be like Billie Holliday singing in Iron Maiden, if you get my drift. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seeing these screens is not encouraging to me. I'm not an expert in historical accuracy, and I don't think it's very accurate, but I loved the 300 book Miller did. It's short, so it looks like they are adding things to the story and changing a few things around. Among these is the Armor.

In the book, the armor and weapons are an intrinsic part of the characterization of the various armies represented.

The Persians

There are two main groups of the Persian army represented:

The General Persian Army is richly dressed in silks and bits of chainmail combined with bits and pieces similar to what you'd see in a "Crusades" movie. The silks seem to vary with higher ranks wearing brightly colorful silks while the soldiers typically wearing whites and browns. Their main weapon is the bow and spear.

Xerxes royal guard, the "Immortals" wear black silk and face masks, making them appear identical. They too have bow and spear with a few swords mixed in. Their plain uniform characterizes them as more professional, more

Xerxes himself is portrayed as wearing a solid gold chain "bondage outfit" and is heavily pierced. This has the effect of making him "Gleam" and portrays him as a man with serious issues, mainly a god complex and dominance issues.

The Free Greeks
The Greeks that accompany the Spartans are dressed in a typical greek tunic with officers in Linthorax. They typically do not wear helms and fight with spear and shield.

The Spartans...
The Spartans wear greaves, a a red-crested corinthian Helm, billowing red cloaks and carry a larger shield. Other than that they are essentially naked. They carry a spear as their chief weapon though a few Xiphos are used. The Spartans laugh and joke about those wearing more armor than they do. I'm disappointed that decided to dress the Spartans in the movie version. I know they did it because the american cinema is not too friendly towards full frontal male nudity, but it does change their characterization.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William C Champlin wrote:
Hey guys. Don't forget the 1000 Thespians who stood and died with the Spartans.W

Oh, sorry to nit pic but Thespians is the name for " actor " 1,100 Boeotians stayed behind with the 300 Spartans after Leonidas sent back his other allies.

Thessaly is the region North of the pass of Thermopylae. ( Thespian / Thessaly ..... probably what caused the confusion. Big Grin
I might have made the same mistake as I had to crack open a book to check my suspicion that there was an error. Laughing Out Loud )

Still, I could be wrong, maybe the Boeotians were known as good actors. Eek! Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a city in Boeotia called Thespiae - that's where most of the warriors who stayed at Thermopylae with the Spartans came from. Mr. Champlin was having a little joke with us

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "300"---The Battle of Thermopylae is Coming!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic