Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is Cold Steel reducing sword models? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Is Cold Steel reducing sword models?         Reply with quote

I sent a very nice email to Cold Steel inquiring of the Chinese Sabers and had meant to mention a couple of other swords shown on their video which are not listed on the website. Also gave praise to their video and mentioned I have the Cold Steel Grosse Messer of which for the price of $169.00 that I paid at a website store that is near me. A good sword it is for the price, though Cold Steel charges $299.00 retail. I have put this sword through a lot of hell, as I bought it to be a fun sword, and with all the abuse I have put it thru it is still like new.

About 2 days after my email to them, I got a one sentence reply about looking on Ebay for their Chinese Sabers as they discontinued them some time ago. Then a "Thank You" and no name signed to the reply. It kind of left me with the feeling they did not really care about my inquiry.
I was wondering if anyone else has contacted Cold Steel about their swords and why there is a reduction in the models of swords available.

I like to have a few upper midrange quality swords in my collection to us for fun swords and the Cold Steel sword I have is one helluva beast that does not let up.

I have never received a reply from any company before that left me with the feeling as though they did not care, or to not sign a name to it.

Are they going out of business? Or maybe they are just regrouping and narrowing down the inventory or perhaps preparing to come out with new items?
One thing I noticed in the video, they seem to have no respect for other swordmakers and that I found to be a bit crass.

All I know is this, the one sword I have of theirs, though I would never remotely compare it to the forthcoming Albion, for what I paid I am indeed very happy with it. But I am not impressed with their customer care, at least not the reply that I got in particular.

I was wondering if anyone can add to this or perhaps answer any of my questions.

Thanks,

Bob
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: replies         Reply with quote

Mr Burns
I think, as a very general rule (and there are obviously exceptions, e.g. KH) effort expended on communications can be in inverse proportion to the turnover in terms of units moved of the business or in direct proportion to the price of the individual items. Custom smiths will send you update pictures of progress, Albion have Mike Sigman, Lutel always reply, but it can take a while to get the translations and if Atlanta Cutlery ever mean to reply, it may take years.
Just a personal observation
Regards
Geoff
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

It's often the difference between between dealing with a large company and their low level employees who are just there for a paycheque and companies like A & A , Albion whose employees are mostly sword lovers themselves and whose much smaller businesses depend on a relatively small number of collectors / users who are willing to spend close to $1000 for a sword.

Also for Cold Steel the sword business is only a small part of their bottoms line.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, this is all very true, however, anyone working in a public relations capacity representing any company should always display a caring sentiment of their customers inquiries.

I think it should be said, that on the same day of the email to Cold Steel, there was also an email sent to Windlass Steelcraft in India, that email consisted of an inquiry as to why they distribute their blades without a sharp edge. Indeed on the same day, I receive a most courteous reply that informed me that their edged products do not ship out of India with a sharp edge on them due to certain laws.

I will say this though, every Cold Steel Sword that I have handled, considering the price range, I have found them to be very superior swords, given the asking price. There are a couple of Cold Steel swords that interest me, one of them being the Chinese War Sword, and as a matter of fact I may well buy it in the near future. One email is not going to deter me from purchasing more Cold Steel Swords, I think for the price that I can buy them at, the are an incredibly good value!

Sometime back there was a thread wherein someone produced a picture of a Cold Steel Grosse Messer Sword that had a broken blade near the hilt from attempting to cut a pumpkin. I can only speak for myself, I have used this same sword to cut into various pieces of wood as well as my usual cardboard box targets. There are no nicks on the blade and it's still as sharp as can be, so I am thoroughly satisfied with the Cold Steel product that I own.

Bang for the buck, I think Cold Steel is a great sword!

Bob
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well in our country many of the indywidual producers have problems with answering the e-mail.Of course there are few who do their best and the contact with customers is on the high level.But many times I've sent e-mail(not only questions-i've really wanted to buy something) and no reply for a month or NEVER.So I've said-thank you and I'm never going to deal with them again.Sometimes ordes is actepted-and then you wait and wait and after 6 month after term you finally got it or you never see it...It is sad.What was amazing for me-300km from my place-in Czech Republik people do care about customers-It is true that Lutel always answer with kindness and care.The same with others blacksmiths-even when they have no free time for 2 years they were sending catalogues...

Another example(mayby off topic Wink )
Few years ago I send e-mail to the british company that produce military hovercraft.I am a model maker so I wanted some pictures.They asked me for my adress and sent me their folders-by normal mail.Thei paid for stamps and all...And I asked only for a picture by e-mail.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The meat and potatoes of my collection is "Arms & Armor", in and out of the sword world, of any company I have ever dealt with so far in my personal experience, has the very best customer service relations that I have ever encountered!
And that is the absolute truth!

Bob
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is Cold Steel reducing sword models?         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I sent a very nice email to Cold Steel inquiring of the Chinese Sabers and had meant to mention a couple of other swords shown on their video which are not listed on the website. Also gave praise to their video and mentioned I have the Cold Steel Grosse Messer of which for the price of $169.00 that I paid at a website store that is near me. A good sword it is for the price, though Cold Steel charges $299.00 retail. I have put this sword through a lot of hell, as I bought it to be a fun sword, and with all the abuse I have put it thru it is still like new.

About 2 days after my email to them, I got a one sentence reply about looking on Ebay for their Chinese Sabers as they discontinued them some time ago. Then a "Thank You" and no name signed to the reply. It kind of left me with the feeling they did not really care about my inquiry.
I was wondering if anyone else has contacted Cold Steel about their swords and why there is a reduction in the models of swords available.

I like to have a few upper midrange quality swords in my collection to us for fun swords and the Cold Steel sword I have is one helluva beast that does not let up.

I have never received a reply from any company before that left me with the feeling as though they did not care, or to not sign a name to it.

Are they going out of business? Or maybe they are just regrouping and narrowing down the inventory or perhaps preparing to come out with new items?
One thing I noticed in the video, they seem to have no respect for other swordmakers and that I found to be a bit crass.

All I know is this, the one sword I have of theirs, though I would never remotely compare it to the forthcoming Albion, for what I paid I am indeed very happy with it. But I am not impressed with their customer care, at least not the reply that I got in particular.

I was wondering if anyone can add to this or perhaps answer any of my questions.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

Just a thought, but it might also be that there's a perception that the sword market is currently saturated. It has become a very tough business {has been all along really}, and if you don't love swords and swordsmanship then it might not be a rewarding business arena to be in.......

swords are fun

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is Cold Steel reducing sword models?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic