Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Damascus Zweihander and backsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Damascus Zweihander and backsword         Reply with quote

Hi, I have a couple pictures of these swords that I finally finished, but unfortunately the pics were posted on SFI and I do not know how to bring em over to this forum. If anyone were to bring em over to this forum for comment I would be grateful. Thank you. Happy
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll help out with these:

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work John!
Happy
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey John.

I have to say man, as much as I love that new Zweihander (all Jerry Rados damascus, wow), the schiavona-inspired backsword is definatly the finest piece I've seen from you sofar. As soon as I get a bit of cash going, I'm going to have to place an order for something like that, turn my trio of Odinblades into a quartet. Big Grin Big Grin
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the thread:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=61427

Those are really beautiful swords.

If you happen to have an extra of each just lying around send them my way, I can put them to good use on noisy fraternity house neighbors Big Grin. It stinks being a poor college student... Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really dig the hilt on that clamshell backsword! I personally wouldn't call it schiavona-inspired because it only shares the form of the cat's head pommel, and really nothing else. The basket-construction methodology is drastically different than a schiavona, but happens to be a lot like many other types of swords. "Clamshell" is probably the best descriptor for it: at least the best I could think of.

The compound guard and cut-outs on that hilt are super clean. For anyone who's read a lot of what I seem to post and seen my own collection, it's pretty obvious I'm into the complex-hilted swords. I really, really, would love to see John produce more of this type of work. He's clearly more than capable of putting together extremely clean and complex compound hilts. I'm glad to see he has done a few pieces recently that might indicate he's going in that direction. We need more quality makers like John willing to pursue this type of work.

The other thing I like, and others have mentioned it in the past, is the finish of these pieces. The bluing and other patination effects add an organic, but very clean and "finished" look to a lot of John's work.

Yet another thing I really dig is how John brings a contemporary spin onto historically-inspired designs. While these are "fantasy" pieces, they're not "other-wordly" in that they seem to be evolutions of swords of the past. To me, personally, with my own collecting interests and whatnot, this is the type of fantasy work that I tend to appreciate. This stuff really draws me in, while other fantasy styles might leave me somewhat flat. All of these designs seem quite "reasonable" and "familiar" in many ways. This seems to me to be the best approach, because it completely avoids the "absurd". I happen to also suspect it opens these types of items into quite a larger audience than many full-on historical or full-on fantasy swords might have. That's pretty damn cool.

Nicely done.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very attractive and very good design work in the way Nathan commented: Fantasy but plausible. Cool

The Zweihander seems to have parrying hooks but the picture cuts of most of then off: I would be curious to see the rest of the sword.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I will try to get a full shot of the Zweihander pretty soon. Nathan thanks too, I appreciate your insight and also agree, there is in no way anything shiavona about the Backsword, but maybe the pommel a little. I hope to in the future do more complex hiltwork. Really don't get much call for it, as of yet. But, who knows, swords styles can be trendy. Strange though really I have to do all kinds, which can be difficult but also fun.
DaK A. Wade

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I love about this Zweihander, is what I also loved in John's other Zweihander, and that's the lugs/hooks. The proper term escapes me right now. In a lot of modern day replicas they look like afterthoughts. As if the smith suddenly noticed he forget them, and quickly welded them on or something to that effect.

The lugs on John's Zweihanders are really a part of the blade. It gives the entire sword a very uniform look.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Truly beautiful work. Cool Cool Cool Big Grin
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must confess I am not sure what to make of the zweihanders double guard. I have not seen one like that before. The backsword on the other hand is stunning. The sword overall is beautiful and well proportioned. That open-work clamshell guard is the coolest complex hilt I have ever seen. I like complex hilts that are symmetrical (ie: they could be used right or left-handed.) Though I mostly go in for historical stuff, one functional fantasy piece I would like to have is a Martian longsword from Edger Rice Burroughs' John Carter series. The backsword's guard would look perfect on it.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: The Two-Hander         Reply with quote

The zweihander is completely awesome here. While the guard is unsual, I think it beautiful and original. I love historical swords two but always thought the ornate two handers gaudy with all the frills and curves. John continues to inspire and impress me with his work. The man is talented and the love for his work shows up in every piece is produces. Over teh past 5-8 years I have watched his talent grow and he only gets better. I am glad he is starting to recieve the respecxt and recognition he deserves. Great job again John and keep it up!

Joel
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh but to have the money to commission a zweihander like that!

Bob

Truly Wowwed!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful craftsmanship, John! I am really not a zweihander kind of guy, but I love the clamshell guarded backsword.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Specs         Reply with quote

I was just asked to supply some specs here they are:
Zweihander total length: 67 1/4"
weight: 6lbs.15 ounces
blade length 49"
balance from guard: 5"
sweet spot: 19 1/2" from tip
jugs width" 5 15/16"
forguard width: 16"

Backsword total length: 38 1/4"
blade length: 30 1/2"
weight: 2 3/4lbs.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Damascus Zweihander and backsword