Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Christmas cutting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Christmas cutting         Reply with quote

While I was home for Christmas, I took the oppurtunity to do some cutting with my new Albions. I knew that my Albion swords are better than the swords I owne previously, but since I can't have them in the barracks, I had not seen them. I was asstounded by how great they are. I had been asking my parents to save all of their plastic jugs, so when I got home there were a decent number of targets waiting for me.

The highlight though, was the day that my best friend, Mark, was able to come over. He brought his son, and we had fun cutting jugs to bits. Ethan (Mark's son) even out-did me with some of his cuts. It really makes one's heart swell with pride to see an 8 year old boy swinging you Albion Crecy like a pro.

We did find that softer plastic (milk jugs, etc.) work better than harder, thinner plastic (like 2-litre soda bottles). The soda bottles had a tendancy to fall off of the fence post we were using, but the milk jugs, and 2.5 gallon water jugs stayed put. You could get a second (or in a few cases, a third) cut in when they didn't fall off the post.

I don't have any pictures of the action or the carnage (I was having too much fun to think of the camera at that point), but I do have a shot of the swords we were using.

-Grey

P.S. They are all great swords, but Ethan, my brother, and myself all fell in love with the Crecy. Mark preffered the Landgraf.

Attachment: 101.75 KB
swords.JPG

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greyson, that is one BEAUTIFUL Collection you have there, hell I love them all! Have you tried any large cardboard box slaughtering yet? I just love doing that myself, cutting, thrusting, slicing, lot's of fun! I get boxes from my neighbors, last week I was about out of boxes so I went garbage picking Laughing Out Loud .

I have a collection of Arms & Armor swords going, don't have a photo bucket so I can't put a picture in the post, I have the German Bastard Sword, English Longsword, Italian Three Ring Rapier, Knightly Riding Sword, Henry V Sword and the Durer Bastard Sword will be here shortly. I also have 4 other good quality swords made by as many companies.

I too have been saving plastic milk jugs, it's too cold outside right now, but I figure by the time it warms up I should have quite a collection of jugs. Laughing Out Loud

It must be real hard to be kept away from such a beautiful collection of swords Greyson, but by the time your out of the military (if your in on just a 4 year stint) your going to have one sensational collection of swords to enjoy and it's money very well spent in my book!

Love Your Collection!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I have a collection of Arms & Armor swords going, don't have a photo bucket so I can't put a picture in the post

Bob,
You don't need an external picture host to attach a picture here; the pic just needs to be on your hard drive. If you need simple instructions on posting a picture, please check out the Info page or PM one of the Moderators.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a whole lot Chad, you also helped me out on my confusion about who made those polearms at By the Sword.com I really appreciate your help on these things, you and Nathan both have helped me out numerous times and I am indeed very appreciative of it. I don't know what I'd do without this website now that I have discovered it. There is so much that can be learned here and so many people willing to help that it is just awesome, truly awesome!
What a great bunch of people! And people to talk about my sword and armor obsession with, as the people I know well they just don't have any interest, although my wife has some interest, but she has a whole lot of respect for the high end quality weaponry etc.

As I have said before, this website is invalueble to me and by the way this book I won from your website is fantastic!

European Weapons and Armour by Ewart Oakeshott I am enjoying it thoroughly!

Thanks again Chad,

Bob
Ralph Rudolph

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson, that's a wonderful collection, just what I am aiming at, too (wait a year and you'll find such a great a pic like that in the forum Big Grin ) Just a suggestion: could you publish a larger version of your picture so I could use it as a wallpaper for my Mac (1024x768)? Or put it into the wallpaper section of the forum?

Pushed by the Albion 2005-sale I finally cleaned my account and ordered a Baron and a Landgraf, in addition to an Angus Trim AT 1555 longsword I'm waiting for since October. Just four days ago, my first sharp weapon The Baron, arrived. What should I say. Each time I get it out of its wrappings it makes my heart pound. It will awake to life in spring, when first cuts are planned.

Bob, it's as you say, an obsession. No good stuff to talk about with friends or people who do not share this. They get bored quickly. Good to have this forum!

Here's a quick&dirty shot of my beauty on the duvet ...
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
It must be real hard to be kept away from such a beautiful collection of swords Greyson, but by the time your out of the military (if your in on just a 4 year stint) your going to have one sensational collection of swords to enjoy and it's money very well spent in my book!

Your right, Bob; it can be hard. I only have 17 months left, and I don't plan to reenlist, so I'll get to enjoy them more soon. I ordered an Agincourt as part of the price increase sale. That was number six, so I also put in an order for a Sherriff as my number seven. The sword will cost me (thanks to a gift certificate) $5, plus the $30 shipping. Cool The shipping is going to cost me six times what the sword does! Razz

I can't really afford to keep buying Albions at this rate (6 in as many months), but I need to start looking at other items, anyway. Got to get me some spears, a couple of decent axes, a good warhammer, etc. I do definately consider it money well spent, regardless of whether I spend it on swords, spears, books, or whatnot.

Ralph Rudolph wrote:
Just a suggestion: could you publish a larger version of your picture so I could use it as a wallpaper for my Mac (1024x768)? Or put it into the wallpaper section of the forum?

That's a bit ironic; I am using the same picture taken from a slightly lower angle, as my desktop. I'll put both of them in the Reproduction Arms and Armour photo album. I'll try to get it done today, but it may not happen 'til tomorrow. Congrats on your Albions! Trust me, they were worth the money.

-Grey

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ralph,

I was going to post them in the photo album, but the maximum file size allowed there is 200 KB. I can't post them here, because the maximum file size for the forums is 125 KB (my pictures are 365 KB each). If you can send me your e-mail, I'll get them to you that way.

If anybody else wants me to send them these pictures, just let me know.

-Grey

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've hosted two versions of Grey's collection for use as a background. Thanks, my friend, for graciously sharing!

Version 1
Version 2

The usual method of nabbing pics... open the link, left click on the picture, save as... or however you do it on one of those icky Macs... Razz
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Aaron! I appreciate the help.

-Grey

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Christmas cutting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic