Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Comfortable and Maneuverable Shield Strapping Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Comfortable and Maneuverable Shield Strapping         Reply with quote

A couple of my friends and I are working on making a couple of wooden round shields a little more than 2 feet in diameter. They are not representing any particular period, just a generic sparring tool. I've been trying to arrange a comfortable strapping arrangement, but it has proven difficult. I do not have the tools to cut complex shapes out of wood, so I wish to make do with what can be found at my local hardware store. My friend tried an arrangement that situated a metal handle on the right and a leather strap on the left. This arrangement was semi-comfortable, but awkward to maneuver and had a limited range of motion. Would a center grip with a smaller arm strap be easier to maneuver? I’ve been looking at the grips of Viking shields for several days but our shields may be too heavy to have only a center grip without further strapping.

Thanks! -Dan
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you might find this topic useful, since it shows several grip/strapping arrangements. There are actually quite a few threads on this site that discuss shields and their construction, so it would be worth your while to do a search.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Greek Argive shields were pretty heavy, and they rellied on a centrally located strap, with a handle at/near the rim. I would think you could do it the other way 'round (grip in center, strap at edge) just fine, but you might find the edge of the shield grinding against your elbow.

For a test, I would try to use something like rope in both places, you might even be able to glue it in place (maybe) so that it is easier to remove. It should good enough to determine what amount of comfort and control you expect from each arrangment. Then, once you have decided, you can take the rope off and put on your permanent grips and straps.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Comfortable and Maneuverable Shield Strapping
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic