Hanging with Mr. Robinson...
So I'm on the other side of the country sitting in Nathan's living room at the moment. Contrary to popular belief, he doesn't actually have babes laying around all the time. Let me just saying, Nathan's one mean son of a *edit* cool guy. Seriously, I've been here all day, not only playing with swords and pouring through his IMMENSE collection of arms and armour books, but just hanging out and shooting the breeze. So I'm inviting everyone over right now. All 3000 forum members, swing on by right now. And drink his beer. Nathan's cool like that.

I thought about taking pictures... but let's face it. You can just go to his collection gallery. His pictures are going to be better and more detailed. Then I thought about taking a picture of his swords laid out on the floor... but you can just download his wallpaper instead. So really, this post is of absolutely no use to any of you.

Still, Nathan's cat, Spot, is cool. :cool:

Seriously, Nathan's really a great guy, really interesting to talk to, and funny to boot. And it's amazing how many sunglasses a man can own. :)
Glad to hear you got there safely, Bill. Have a great time in the city by the bay, and a safe trip home.
Actually, we're all over at your house right now. You left the garage door open, and we were bored. Bob and Aaron blew thru all the alchohol and are using your refrigerator door to test the piercing strength of your Cold Steel smallsword. I must say, I'm impressed. :p Don't worry, they took the food out first. :lol:
:) Nice to hear that Nathan's beers are in good hands :D :cool:
Re: Hanging with Mr. Robinson...
Bill Grandy wrote:
.So I'm inviting everyone over right now.

I'll be right there! I've got nothing better to do. (Other than finish Christmas shopping, the cards, cleaning up, decorating...)Gee, Nathan's beer is sounding better and better. :)
Bill Grandy wrote:
So I'm inviting everyone over right now. All 3000 forum members, swing on by right now. And drink his beer. Nathan's cool like that.

Sounds like a good plan to me! The best beer is always the one you didn't have to pay for.

Bill Grandy wrote:
Still, Nathan's cat, Spot, is cool.

Ah-hah! Now I know why this is the best site on the web; it is run by a man who has a cat!

-Grey

P.S. Remind him, on my behalf, that he needs to get more sleep!
Bill Grandy wrote:
And it's amazing how many sunglasses a man can own. :)

One can never have too many sunglasses. All 3000 of us, eh? Kind of like a Medieval Woodstock, that would be... :lol:
Hmmm, 2.5 hour drive... I'm tempted... :cool:
and heres to you Mr Robinson, he's the guy with all the swords oh yea, hey hey hey... sorry, the title made me break out into song hehehe
It was only a matter of time. :lol:
I have to say that my experience in visiting Nathan was of the same ilk. Wonderful time with a gracious host, and having fun digging through the toy collection, books, you name it. We talked non-stop for hours, with lots more left to say when I had to leave. I would have happily stayed for a few months just shooting the breeze, but alas, life got in the way. Another time! But glad that you're able to take full advantage of Nathan's hospitality. Drink one of his fine beers for me!

Funny, he had shoo'ed away all the Babes when I was there too. Hmmm... :confused:

Cheers!

Gordon
Bill Grandy wrote:
So I'm inviting everyone over right now. All 3000 forum members, swing on by right now. And drink his beer.

Damn. I was home in Northern California not three days ago. Now I'm back in Virginia, so I'll just have to join Gavin at your place. After we finish with the fridge door, we can try tameshigiri with your house plants! ;-)

Seriously, though. Glad you're having a good time. Try a Jamba Juice while you're there. The East Coast doesn't know what it's missing. :-)
Bill;

What a coincidence I saw this post while eating take out sushi and a nice dark microbrewery beer at 9% Alc. / Vol.
so at least I don't have to be envious about the beer.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and would go to my cousin's house and empty the toy box: Still not sure if I enjoyed seeing my cousin as much as I liked that toy box: A large yellow wooden box that might seem much smaller if I could see it today.

Any 14th century dark glasses ? Actually the first eye glasses were made in the 14th or 15th century.

Wonder if any of us near sighted astigmatic guys could find glasses that would not look out of place been worn by a 14th century knight ? ( Had to find something to add to my post that was at least distantly related to arms and armour: Have to keep Nathan happy. :p :lol: )
Don't we all wish we could be there?
I just nominated this to be a spotlight topic. :p

(I'm sorry Nathan, I couldn't resist. In the future, my spotlight votes will be more serious.)
As it turns out, Bill's a damn nice guy.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
As it turns out, Bill's a damn nice guy.

Lies! All lies!

I'm now back from San Francisco (where I discovered that sunny California isn't always what everyone claims). Had an great time. Nathan's books are amazing. I probably spent at least three times as much time pouring through those compared to how much time I spent playing with his actual swords.

Nathan also lives right next to American Fencer's supply, so that was kind of fun to check them out. Several years ago they were the main place to go for a practice rapier (fitted only with modern sport blades, of course). And they had several of the Kolombatavich reproductions, too, which was kind of a fun little look at the "history" of modern repros.

Nathan, thanks for the hospitality and showing me around San Francisco. Had a blast. And you know you're welcome to come over to this side of the country anytime you want. If these other freeloaders on this thread haven't eaten all my food yet. :p
I'l second that - Nathan. You should make a trip east and we will plan a group expedition to New York or Philly to see museums.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: