This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'd love to see more of these videos presented on-line.

Hey Patrick,
You should check out the Schola Gladiatoria webpage here:

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/

They have a large video section, which was largely an inspiration for Eric to make and host these.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Martin Wallgren wrote:
No seriously I think your fighting look very good and I would gladly cross blades with you some day. (On a friendly sparring basis of course!)

I would love to! Sadly, I don't think I can afford a plane ticket out to your neck of the woods anytime soon, but I have really enjoyed watching the sparring vids that you and Joachim have shared in the past. Plus, it seems we all have the same taste in swords. Cool

I think it comes with the territory, The late 15 c swords are the peak of the longsword era. At east IMO!

BTW Nathan wanted us to talk about some writing so a PM is comming soon.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
It's a bad habit. Happy In fact, it's one I spend a lot of time teaching beginners not to do. Shame on Eric. :P To be fair to Eric, he normally doesn't do that, even though he does it quite a lot in one of those videos (and I think I did it once in the same video, too Eek! ) I think he was tired that night. Because he's a slacker. Happy

I appreciate the comments, Jean!

Bill;

Considering that my experience with bouting is ZERO and that my limited experience is at this point only superficial reading a few books and 2 training DVDs, I really appreciate your taking my questions / observations really seriously and taking the time to answer in such a gentlemanly way: A true display of Knightly courtesy. Cool Cool Cool It's not all about swords!

Too bad I live far away. Cry Laughing Out Loud

P.S. Questions aside it all very impressive.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Hey Patrick,
You should check out the Schola Gladiatoria webpage

Thanks Bill! Those look very useful and I'm sure they'll help us.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, I can't watch them videos. My QT is protesting over missing software that can't be downloaded from the [QT] website. Confused
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Bill, I can't watch them videos. My QT is protesting over missing software that can't be downloaded from the [QT] website. Confused

QuickTime Alternative might be a solution.
Download it here.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

QuickTime Alternative might be a solution.
Download it here.

Thanks Anton. I'll give that a try.
Eric Wargo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

I got that same error message on my work computer. You have to download the latest version of Quicktime (I think it is 7) -- it comes bundled with iTunes (I don't think there's a way around that, but I didn't mind), and the films should play just fine.

Good luck,

Eric
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also can't watch the videos. And this is on a machine that I use to author, edit, and package Quicktime videos. I can't get it to install a compatible compressor. Which CODEC did you use to make these videos?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric Wargo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I also can't watch the videos. And this is on a machine that I use to author, edit, and package Quicktime videos. I can't get it to install a compatible compressor. Which CODEC did you use to make these videos?

H.264. I must say I didn't give any thought to the CODEC -- this is the one it defaulted to when I exported using Quicktime conversion in Final Cut Pro. I'll try resetting it to Sorenson next time and see what happens.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Wargo wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

H.264. I must say I didn't give any thought to the CODEC -- this is the one it defaulted to when I exported using Quicktime conversion in Final Cut Pro. I'll try resetting it to Sorenson next time and see what happens.

Interesting. The H.264 (MPEG4) was installed but apparently incompatible. I removed it, installed a new version, and it worked. Also interesting is that the H.264 codec wouldn't auto-install with Quicktime 6.5 or 7.0 in Windows. That's very weird.

Thanks, Eric. I'm off to watch some vids. I need a break, anyway.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is possible to download Quicktime 7 (I had to to watch one of those video's) without the I-tunes package. It about halves the d/l size for those like me on a horrid dial-up. It is apparently on the Apple website, but I had to do a 'yahoo' to find it here : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html .

Great videos by the way, quite interesting and fun to watch too.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have quicktime 7.0.3 on my MAC powerbook and no problem viewing the clips the came with my upgrade to OS X Tiger.

Should get the Pro version if I want to edit stuff in the future.

Question for Bill Grandy:

How does the length / weight of a longsword affect technique ? Specifically a true twohander like my A & A 15th century twohander against a smaller hand and a half like the A & A Black prince or the A & A GBS.

Reach is an obvious advantage but does the extra weight mean that some techniques will be more difficult or impossible compared to the smaller more agile sword.

Strength might be a factor as a much stronger fighter might be able to use the larger sword equally well a weaker opponent with the smaller sword.

The A & A twohander is big but far from ponderous: At my body weight of 245 pounds I don't find the twohander that heavy. ( Can curl a 50 dumbbell if I cheat it a bit. ) So holding it with one hand is doable: Controlling it in motion one handed would be a challenge though. But I can a thrust one handed easily enough. ( No room in the house to test out how controllable I find a wide sweeping cut without " Killing " a lamp, destroying the T.V. or gouging a wall or ceiling.

The next step up in size are the really big 16th century twohanders at least a bit longer and maybe a couple of pounds heavier than earlier 14th or 15th century great swords: I would imagine that the handling of these would be closer to that of a pole arm than a longsword.

In any case the sparring between longswords seems to me most with swords of similar length so I am curious about what happens when different sized swords are used ?

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,
Actually, in some of those bouts one of the swords is actually a fair bit larger than the other. Happy

A larger sword has a definite immediate advantage than the smaller one due to reach, but that can be countered. If I have a larger weapon, I will do my best to hit the opponent from a distance before they can close the distance. An aggressive defender with a shorter weapon, however, can negate this advantage by closing. For instance, if I have the shorter weapon, and get in close while defending, it is much easier for my sword to move in the smaller area. Doing this is easier said than done, but quite possible.

There is also the fact that smaller weapons are generally faster.

Weight and forward balance can definately cause a sword to hit harder, which can help set another sword aside a little easier.

Strength is certainly an advantage, but nowhere near as important as speed, which in turn is still not as important as proper judgement of distance and timing. All the strength in the world won't work if you can't move fast enough, and all the speed in the world won't work if you move at the wrong time. But strength does help control the weapon, and control is paramount to accuracy, precision, and ensuring that the above attributes can actually be used.

You're right, the really huge two handers are definately used more like polearms than longswords, which many masters explicitly say.

Hope that answers the question rather than making it more confusing. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bill: Yes very useful explanations.

And as you said strength is the least important factor behind speed and timing / skill but strength does mean that a longer heavier weapon can be used at adequate speed and with skill if one has it: A weaker person has his choices limited to lighter weapons.

Oh, a strong person is not necessarily a slow person and finally with weapons of equal weight a strong person could be faster or get tired more slowly.

Although strength and aerobic endurance is a very different thing: A very strong person who can't run a minute without having to stop to catch his breathe is not at any great advantage except at the very early seconds of a fight.

Sort of recapping here with somewhat obvious points: Thanks again for your very clear comments.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword Fencing Videos
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: