Go to page Previous  1, 2

Geoff Freeman wrote:
Much as I like the 14th century arms and armor, I'd probably have to say that my favorite century would be the 17th. Rapiers, spadroons, pallasches, some smallswords, flintlock firearms....

If I can post a runner-up, I guess I'd have to say the 15th century. Gotta love the arms and armor of the period.
Uhh....let's say the 8th century. I can't get those migration era blades off my mind.
I'll go with the 15th century.

I like the blade styles a little better than the 14th and 16th centuries. The fittings were usually more stylish than the 14th but not as ornate as the smallswords and rapiers from later times.
Okay, so far the votes say ( with a little hedging :-) .......

1st - 1
8th - 1
14th - 3
15th - 7
16th - 3
17th - 3
18th - 6
19th - 1
21st - 1

The uncommitted to just one century have been divided between their two choices !

I probably should have done this using the Poll feature ...... but I'm not sure it would give me enough options ?

Dont let your favorite century flounder now ...... Get out the VOTE ! Mac

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Mon 05 Jan, 2004 10:48 am; edited 10 times in total
17th century . The Thirty Years War has always been a historical favorite of mine and with that the military swords
of the period .
16th, all the way. Longswords, zweihanders, sideswords, baskethilts, rapiers, Godknowshow many types of polearms, and arquebuses! It's got it all! Plus I admire the whole "armes and letters" ideal of that era. Oh, and sword-and-buckler men rolling under pike heads!
15th definatly
It would definitely be the very end of the 17th through the 18th century for me. Really fascinated by the naval weapons of the time. Below is an original circa 1690 clamshell cutlass.

Ron

[ Linked Image ]
That's a beauty, Ron ..... I look forward to hearing your report on it ! ( hint hint ;-)

I've edited the totals above to keep the voting updated ......

Keep 'em coming , Mac
14th century for me.

Early 14th, in particular... Before there was much plate armour about, and before gunpowder ruined the fun of it all.
I guess I'll have to go with 14th century as well, although I am painfully torn between that and a couple of others. Fortunately this vote isn't binding on purchases or dreams :D
I look forward to hearing your report on it !
Thanks Mac! I will be doing a report on this one. Need to start updating my picturetrail sight as well. Ahhhh... so much work, so little time. : - )

Best regards,
Ron
Hmmm just one century. 16th. With a little overlap for good measure.
1475-1625 :D
I'm shocked we don't have alot more of the Viking years checking in ?!!

Where are the hoards *g* Mac

[ Linked Image ]

Norwegian Viking by Vince Evans

[ Linked Image ]
Hi Mac,

I love that sword. And even more, I love the blueing on it. I just
wish that it'd stayed on the piece as aesthetically it's one of the
best I've ever seen. One of those is on my wish list though!

Alex
I like all ages, but I'd go with the 18th century. Been some time intrigued by sabres, and getting more and more by smallswords.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: