Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > European Horse Armor - Upcoming Exhibit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: European Horse Armor - Upcoming Exhibit         Reply with quote

Figured I would post this here for anyone that would be interested. I've been meaning to make a return trip to the Met for some time now and even though its less than an hour away, something always stops my plans. With this exhibit starting up in February I have that much more incentive to get off my rear and take a ride.

Timewise the exhibit covers the late 15th to early 17th century. A link to the page is below. Enjoy

Dominic

[url]http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={80621701-00EA-4DA5-AEED-A5441B93431D}[/url]
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool! I've always been intrigued by this... neat to see someone actually focus on a presentation of armours for non-humans.

No way I'll be able to make it to the exhibit, but I hope you (and anyone who can) will get a lot from it!

Any pics would be of a high degree of interest, at least to me!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't those always been there? At the medieval display at the Met (at least a year or so ago) they had four suits in the center of the room, on plastic horse models. An awesome exhibit, I have some pictures which I'll share with you:

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/6439/10002627vc.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/6586/10002709ok.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5739/10002760kf.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/1355/10002785if.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/9719/10002791zy.jpg

Sorry about the image qaulity, I took these a year or two ago...
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Haven't those always been there? At the medieval display at the Met (at least a year or so ago) they had four suits in the center of the room, on plastic horse models.

I know they always have a few representative pieces on display - how many or how comprehensive the pieces regularly in view are, I'm not sure. This exhibit is supposed to consist of 40 separate armours, spanning 1480 - 1620.

Pics are sweet, by the way... thanks for sharing them!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went to the Met once years ago. I'd love to go again since I'd hopefully now have a better understanding of what I was looking at.

If anyone can make it to this interesting exhibit I'll echo Aaron's hope that many photos are taken.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I'm definately going...let's all try to go on the same day!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It starts in Februay. That timing is perfect for me, as I can't really think about doing anything until after then. I'll go. Let me know.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will do, just affirmed trip with parents.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
It starts in Februay. That timing is perfect for me, as I can't really think about doing anything until after then. I'll go. Let me know.

My Wife and I will be heading there too but probably around Christmas week. Oh well, my timing is not always best Worried

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

February works well for me to as all the running around associated with the holiday will be well over. As I said I've already made the decision to take a trip up there, but if enough are interested and willing to go I'm all for a group trip. They'll be that many more pictures to post.

Keep me in the loop as to what the final date ends up being and I'll make sure to mark it on my calendar.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably sometime in the third week of February. That's about as specific as I can be right now; I"ll post when I know more.
Andres S.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Met         Reply with quote

I hope it won't seem horribly opportunistic of me to inject a request into this thread, but if anyone going to the Met has the time and inclination to photograph a rapier for me in several different views at a decent resolution I would be exceedingly grateful. The lighting is an issue, so I'd be happy to pay for some super-fast film if you are using old-fashioned equipment. Wink

It's the left-most in this group: http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....amp;pos=50

Thanks!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll see if I can find it, and photograph it. I'm going for the whole exhibit, the horse armor is just a bonus. Remind me again later and I'll do my best.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get some good pics, Nathan! I made a fairly close inspection of the equine armours of Charles V and Philip II when they were in Seattle last year, but I wasn't able to get any photo's (a REALLY good reason to get one of those cell phones with a camera in it, I guess...). I want to get Steve Moffatt or Tim Plourd to make me a set for my horse. I've seen some unfortunate happenings with lances during jousts, and don't want to subject my poor boy to that. But mostly, I just think it would be cooler than humanly imaginable to have a good set of horse armour for my big boy! Cool

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since we're slowly getting closer to February I just wanted to give this a friendly bump before it gets pushed to far down.

I'm still planning on making this exhibition and bringing a camera with several rolls of film Happy

~Dominic
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up again, and please do take LOTS of pictures! Such things as the way they bolt together, etc. And if there are some leather/rawhide armours, THOSE would be cool to see, too!

Thanks again!

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will do my utmost to develop a blister on my finger by day's end due to pressing the shutter button so many times Laughing Out Loud

Of course this raises a question in regards to picture taking. Given the size of these pieces I'm assuming they will be an open display, probably roped off so taking pictures should be easily done. However, since I'll be up there I know I'll wander around and want to take additional photos of just about anything that interests me.

Any tips when it comes to items behind a display glass? I don't have a high end camera or digital camera for that matter, and while it's on my list to get I don't foresee having it in time for this exhibit. I do know I can borrow a relatively nice 35mm camera that I've used before and will most likely use that for the detail shots where I'll need a zoom that provides a crisp picture.

Thanks for any input.

~Dominic
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Um... guys... this exhibit opened in February of 2005; like, last year. I got to see it when I was there last spring. It is in their "Recent Aquisitions" gallery, which is a rather small space. All of the pieces in this exhibit are taken from storage, and not from what's already of the exhibit floor, and it only contains individual pieces, no full horse armours. I picked up a copy of the catalogue, which conatains photos of all the artifacts in the exhibit. However, you are allowed to take your own photos, which would be a good idea, because some of the angles in the catalogue are only straight on, and side or three quarter shots would be better. It's definitely worth a trip to the museum, but don't be dissapointed by how small the exhibit actually is.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's hilarious, Peter.
Laughing Out Loud

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Um... guys... this exhibit opened in February of 2005; like, last year. I got to see it when I was there last spring.

Peter's right -- I was at the Met just a few days ago and saw it, and it was also there during my visit in April. He's also right in that the display is quite small and off in a corner, very easy to miss, and in striking contrast to the large proportions of the Met in general. Almost like a broom closet... Surprised

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > European Horse Armor - Upcoming Exhibit
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: