16th Century Portuguese Warfare Blog
Hello,

I've started a blog with info unavailable in English. Not arms related per se but will have some articles eventually. Hope you'll find it interesting.

Pikes level!

Nuno Pereira
http://soladopratico.blogspot.com/
Very interesting. Do you know of, or interact with, any "living history" groups that represent and portray peoples from the less represented conflicts and countrys of the era? (Other than English Civil War, War of the Roses, ...).

It would be interesting to see Portugese or Spanish groups in action.

Thanks!

Gordon
This is a really cool blog, I have to say. Just not much information on what the Portuguese were doing in Asia during the 16th Century available out there. As the site notes, we are in such an Anglo-centric information rut that it's hard to even know that the rest of the world existed before the English got there. Like, say, India. "What, there were Europeans in India before the British East India Company conquered it for Queen Victoria???" LOOONG time. As many Indian Historians refer to it, the "Vasco da Gama Age", beginning at the same time as Columbus was checking out the Western Hemisphere.

Anyway, I also like the "Those Damned Arquebusiers" post, quoted from a Portuguese treatise on how to skirmish with Pike and Shot. Pretty cool!

I've done some Spanish Colonial reenacting in New Mexico, which was very nifty. Other than a few really, really good sources, it can be difficult digging that stuff out too.

Cheers!

Gordon (The "Other Gordon", aka "Ill Gordon", "Bad Gordon", or any other adjective required... :D )
Hi Don Nuno!

Fancy meeting you here :D , I think you'll find, as I did, that myArmoury and it's members is a great resource and the repository of a impressive amount of knowledge about arms and armour, shared in a very friendly and civil way. Who knows, you might find things of interest to your Reconquista project here as well.

Do keep up the good work with O SOLDADO PRÁTICO, I sure look forward to the installment.

Cheers
Daniel
Aka The Nearly Perfect Lieutenant

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: