Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New website coming out Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: New website coming out         Reply with quote

This is a passion that has come to the forefront during a lunch conversation between Eric, Nathan, Renee, and I. This is something that I feel strongly about and it should be addressed. So without further adue, here it is:

WWW.MyNewWatch.com

The featured discussion for this week will be "The proper tempering of the band clasps/buckles", and "The impediment of proper wrist rotation, due to poor centers of gravity on the watch faces." This has been a lifelong dream to have a place for those who know what time it is, to gather and talk about the minutes passing us all by.

Thank you for your support.

Sarcastism and attempt at humor (poor as I know it was) has ended now.

Jason Dingledine
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Jason ...
Looking forward to checking out the new web site. At the moment it seems the link isn't active ... getting the old "www.mynewwatch.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again" message. I'll keep checking it, though. Again, looking forward to it very much. Happy

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is time for a site like that, and I for one am anxious to learn what's at hand. No detail is too minute for a proper, punctual discussion!
My sword site
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys are weird.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
You guys are weird.

Hey, I resemble that remark...............uh nevermind. WTF?!

But, yeah I am. Laughing Out Loud

Happy New Year guys.

Jason Dingledine
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Think of my remark as a gesture of kinship. Big Grin The fact that I was frantically trying to get to your site has got to tell you something!
Constant and true.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Think of my remark as a gesture of kinship. Big Grin The fact that I was frantically trying to get to your site has got to tell you something!

Yeah, like there's a sucker born every minute...
But then again, I clicked on the link too! Laughing Out Loud

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Horology is a much misunderstood science. It is not the watch which impedes the motion of the wrist. Nay, it is the motion of the wrist which impedes, or accelerates, the passage of time (I'll come back to this).

One of the reasons most underhood car repairs starts with the phrase; "disconnect battery", is because when you ground the alternator or starter hotspot with your watch band, you end up with a nifty painful decorative band brand.

The spring pin securing your wrist band will pop as you lean over the rail of the ferry, exactly mid distance between the two landfalls.
When changing bands, these same pins show remarkable trajectory to the depths of shag rugs or unmown lawn. It is also great practice to see how many times you can stab yourself in the finger with your smallest screwdriver or sharpest exacto blade.

Electric watches are less maintenance prone but go to your local Walmart, for a battery, with a good one and the little lady behind the counter will simper a bit and say; "I'm sorry sir, I don't have the tool to take the back off your watch". They also have a nasty speech pattern of ticking and not tocking. Larger quartz wall pieces tend to tock and not tick and will remind you of this, from across the room, when you are trying to fall asleep at 0400.

The angle of the dangle can really screw things up. A loose band can snag that screw on the ferry railing and a tight band can make your hand go to sleep (or give you a temporary decorative band brand).

Automatics are really the way to go and even electrics are jumping on board with kinetic/electric movements. I return to my first paragraph and make note that most mechanical watches gain or lose time in relation to position. What's his name was driven mad when proving this aboard early ships. A well sealed, sand filled hourglass is nearly as precise. The other advantage of an automatic is that when the stem and crown pull right out, while trying to set the time, you may still have a working timepiece (I expect mine back in a week or two, heck what does time matter when you don't wear a watch?).

The Russian equvilant of the mechanical drugstore pocket watch has been around for a decade or so. For the price of a cheap nasty ticky electric analog, you can sport your choice, from a variety of motifs, and keep it safe on a chain in your pocket.

Thus ends some minor ramblings of a hobbyist horologist (can I get some Gilbert&Sullivan here?) My drawers are full of watches that I've never been able to fix. I always know what time it is, I wish this really was my biz; I am the very model of a hobbyist horologist. I'll forgive any unfamiliar with horology and Gilbert&Sullivan)

Cheers, half in fun but half serious

Glen; a truly wacky guy sometimes
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: New Watch Review         Reply with quote

I posted a review of my new Timex on the site. But for those of you who can't wait let me say...she's a beauty. Kevin and I went out back and did some test buckling. I prefer to use an old manakin arm for test buckling, I believe it gives me the most realistic results. Kevin, on the other hand, believes pool noodles are a great media to test buckle. I ordered some buckling mats from Watch Hut. They should be in next week. If you take a 1" wood dowel and wrap the mats around the dowel, it provides an excellent simulation of the human wrist and very accurate test buckling can be accomplished.

In short, the test buckling went well. I am very pleased with the "traditional" construction as will as the fine balance. The buckle prong worked flawlessly. This watch is a real buckler! If you are interested in a no nonsense watch with a reliable buckle, get the Timex.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.

Last edited by Eric McHugh on Sun 04 Jan, 2004 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Watch Review         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
I posted a review of my new Timex on the site. But for those of you who can't wait let me say...she's a beauty. Kevin and I went out back and did some test buckling. I prefer to use an old manakin arm for test buckling, I believe it gives me the most realistic results. Kevin, on the other hand, believes pool noodles are a great media to test buckle. I ordered some buckling mats from Watch Hut. They should be in next week. If you take a 1" wood dowel and wrap the mats around the dowel, it provides and excellent simulation of the human wrist and very accurate test buckling can be accomplished.

In short, the test buckling went well. I am very pleased with the "traditional" construction as will as the fine balance. The buckle prong worked flawlessly. This watch is a real buckler! If you are interested in a no nonsense watch with a reliable buckle, get the Timex.

That's great. Laughing Out Loud
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow.... have you all been into the magic mushrooms again?

Oh, Jason or Eric - I have an antique all boxed up and ready to send off to Howy for documentation (I'll assume he's also mentioned to you all... Its curved and single edged if you need a hint) but I'd just like to know that there will in fact be someone to recieve it, and that you're back open. I sent Howy an email on friday, and just haven't heard back yet. I'll check here or call tomorrow... but I need to get it sent as I leave town for law school on wednesday.

thanks guys, and sorry for the delay - but I got tied up with work prior to thanksgiving, and afterward wanted to make sure the brown truck people didn't lose it during the holiday rush.

chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Wow.... have you all been into the magic mushrooms again?

Oh, Jason or Eric - I have an antique all boxed up and ready to send off to Howy for documentation (I'll assume he's also mentioned to you all... Its curved and single edged if you need a hint) but I'd just like to know that there will in fact be someone to recieve it, and that you're back open. I sent Howy an email on friday, and just haven't heard back yet. I'll check here or call tomorrow... but I need to get it sent as I leave town for law school on wednesday.

thanks guys, and sorry for the delay - but I got tied up with work prior to thanksgiving, and afterward wanted to make sure the brown truck people didn't lose it during the holiday rush.

chris

I hate canned mushrooms, too mushy.

Yep, we're back open and up and running (a little sluggish after the holidays, at least I am). Can't wait to see it, and nope, didn't know it was coming.

Talk to you later,

Jason Dingledine
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Movado, like my Jody and Randal pieces, will not be tested. I own them all for their beauty. But this test stuff is fun to read anyway. I agree with Jay - and I say it with love too. You guys are weird.
Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a large collection of "wall hangers" (I think they are also known as clocks) but I am thinking about purchasing my first "real" watch and would like some information about where to start. I would like to have one that I tell people that this is what a soldier would have worn into battle. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but it needs to be functional.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This all has a strangely Monty Pythonesc feel to it . I heard the army's comming out with a new "combat" pocket watch.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got yer magic 'shroom raght heya

Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I got yer magic 'shroom raght heya

GAH!!!!! did Shady Pines turn all you people out after your 'evaluations' at once or something? this is getting too weird.. Laughing Out Loud well..wait... not for this crowd it isn't. seems rather normal in retrospect. :P

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, the horology!

For more of weird and wonderful, a great place to start is http://www.horology.com

Cheers

They said I could have a day pass as long as I'm back by 23:59
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is worth noting that armourers and weaponsmiths were very involved in building early clocks and watches, many of which still run today.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New website coming out
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic