Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 31: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
85%
 85%  [ 53 ]
Very Good
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 62

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Oct 31: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight: The
Schiavona
An article by Nathan Robinson

Del Tin 5173 Schiavona

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Vladimir Cervenka Schiavona

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Vladimir Cervenka Schiavona

Added to Nathan's Collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

This one is being posted a bit early due to the Halloween holiday.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Nathan and Bill, for your very informative articles and excellent pictures. The schiavona is one of the most attractive sword forms to my eye. I don't have a schiavona in my collection, but I am holding a place (or two).
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent update!! Only this weekend I was thinking that an article on the schiavona would be great, and I even contemplated if I could attempt writing one myself.
However, after reading the article by Nathan, I could've never written something this informative.
Congratulations on a fantastic update.
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for this highly informative update about the schiavona ! I've always loved these swords , for me one of the most beautiful and complex model.

Cheers,

David
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glorious! Simply glorious! Thanks to Nathan & Bill for such fine work/articles (as usual) .

Next to Mortuary's, the Schiavona is my next favorite hilt design. Only have the one in my collection,but
maybe next year that will change.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Last edited by William Goodwin on Mon 31 Oct, 2005 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent update, as a budding schiavona fanatic I found this update extremely informative and enjoyable. It’s only recently that I developed a fascination for continental basket hilts but now I think it’s fast becoming an addiction. Thanks again to Nathan and Bill for a job well done.
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another excellent update, and just like the previous update, I really think the topical nature is hard to beat.

Nathan, I really liked your article, both for the content itself as well as the presentation and illustration of sid content. Your familiarity with and regular use of photos of original swords of all types is quite appreciated. Its also nice to see more info about hilt types, not just blade types.

I have handled a different Cervenka schiavona, and thought the blade was a bit too sharply pointed and narrow for cutting, but the blade on the one reviewed looks better proportioned to me. All the other comments in the review about fit, finish, grip size, etc I agree with, though I thought the thumb ring was a bit to far away rom the grip itself.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
though I thought the thumb ring was a bit to far away rom the grip itself.

Hmmm.... looking at the photos, I see what you mean, though in hand it feels quite natural. Admittedly, I do have large hands, though I think it still would have felt fine for most people.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: schiavona         Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent article on Schiavona. Does the cat's head pommel bear any relationship to Oakeshott P (Sorry, I've not yet read enough of his works)?
Geoff
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: schiavona         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Thanks for the excellent article on Schiavona. Does the cat's head pommel bear any relationship to Oakeshott P (Sorry, I've not yet read enough of his works)?
Geoff

The cat's head pommel is really what Oakeshott referred to as his Type Z.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: schiavona         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:
Geoff

The cat's head pommel is really what Oakeshott referred to as his Type Z.

Aah. I see. The P doesn't have the central boss. Thanks again.
Geoff
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job Bill and Nathan!!! I'd have to give you guys my vote of "excellent." I was really impressed with Nathan's
article on the schiavona. I felt it very befitting to read the small paragraphs and then to actually see all the different
examples and then being able to refer back to them quickly so I didn't lose my place Happy also , great photos!

Helen
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never been a big fan of the schiavona for some mysterious reason. But I still enjoyed reading Nathan's article on it. Well done! Happy -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Allen W

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent update, however I have a couple of questions about the spotlight article. Nathan mentioned four types of schiavona but I only count three with types 1, 2a, and 2b. Was this meant to include the schiavesca or did I miss something? Also line drawing E, described as having Spanish cutouts in the rearguard and knucklebow is later grouped with drawing G as being South German when I thought it to be a Venetian pattern. So which is it?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
Excellent update, however I have a couple of questions about the spotlight article. Nathan mentioned four types of schiavona but I only count three with types 1, 2a, and 2b. Was this meant to include the schiavesca or did I miss something? Also line drawing E, described as having Spanish cutouts in the rearguard and knucklebow is later grouped with drawing G as being South German when I thought it to be a Venetian pattern. So which is it?

There are four types. The Type 1, Type 2, Type 2a, and Type 2b.

Example E, below, is a Spanish and Venetian form, but the cut-outs are most commonly found in Spanish samples. The article is trying to point out the evolution from South German, Hungarian, and other influence on these types.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan, that clears it up.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 31: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic