myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sparring Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: sparring         Reply with quote

A matter of curiosity. How many of you guys still spar? I mean actually get out and try to hit each other, rather than katas and practise moves? I do, but only with some of my friends. Too old to actually do it in public anymore.
Also wanted to pass on something I tried today. I had always read about Horsearchers and how some of them would let their sword hang by a cord from their wrist. Since I don't have a horse, I went out and did some bow shooting. I took an original Turkish Kilij that I have, tied a cord to the hilt, and proceeded to shoot my bow. (appropriately, a short recurve) I was surprised at how easy it was. No problem shooting, aiming or reaching for an arrow from my quiver. Tried the quiver in two places, on my hip and center back. I figure if a 71 year old can do it on his first try, it should be duck soup for an experienced archer. Angus McBride had a nice drawing, and it showed a guy shooting, and holding his sword at the same time. Tried it, doesn;tr work, This was quite simple, and I found I could snap up the sword quickly.

Hank Reinhardt
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: sparring         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
A matter of curiosity. How many of you guys still spar? I mean actually get out and try to hit each other, rather than katas and practise moves? I do, but only with some of my friends. Too old to actually do it in public anymore.
Also wanted to pass on something I tried today. I had always read about Horsearchers and how some of them would let their sword hang by a cord from their wrist. Since I don't have a horse, I went out and did some bow shooting. I took an original Turkish Kilij that I have, tied a cord to the hilt, and proceeded to shoot my bow. (appropriately, a short recurve) I was surprised at how easy it was. No problem shooting, aiming or reaching for an arrow from my quiver. Tried the quiver in two places, on my hip and center back. I figure if a 71 year old can do it on his first try, it should be duck soup for an experienced archer. Angus McBride had a nice drawing, and it showed a guy shooting, and holding his sword at the same time. Tried it, doesn;tr work, This was quite simple, and I found I could snap up the sword quickly.

Hi Hank!

We spar every chance we get Big Grin This includes the use of padded, wooden and blunt steel swords. What good is all this drilling and technique if we can go out and beat on our friends? Laughing Out Loud

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do, but not nearly as often as I would like. Generally, it's with rapiers, primarily due to the availability of equipment for both "combatants". I have done some work with people with the German tradition of longsword, but we aren't yet to the point where we can free spar safely and productively yet. Some degree of additional equipment is needed for safety, but that's in the works. The new year should bring some positive changes in this regard...

Neat experiments with the archery, by the way...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to but the lack of a partner has eliminated that to a large degree. I'm working on changing that.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah comeon patrick, get the ole wifey out there Wink

i do some steel. some points are choro for public but there is some active agressivness. sometimes we jsut go at it. my poor MRL sallet is in need of a repair after mays event
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I used to but the lack of a partner has eliminated that to a large degree. I'm working on changing that.

... which is why I don't as often as I would like. It's for darned certain not due to a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or time on my part. Sounds like the Gregster is pretty interested - should be good for both of you. Won't be long, brother, and "Mini-P" will be big enough to get out there and hang with the big boys... he expressed any interest?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Sounds like the Gregster is pretty interested - should be good for both of you. Won't be long, brother, and "Mini-P" will be big enough to get out there and hang with the big boys... he expressed any interest?

Hopefully the Gregger and I can get together on this in the future. Mini-me has expressed an interest, but he hasn't discovered girls yet.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every Thursday, so long as my legs are willing. Big Grin
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As much as I can!

Ironically, as a full time instructor of both historical swordsmanship and sport fencing, though, I find I don't have nearly as much bouting time as I used to. I've come to realize recently that while my form and understanding of theory have drastically improved over the years, my timing and reflexes have gone backwards. I've been bugging my students to help keep me in good form lately. As if they'd say "no" to the opportunity to hit me in the head. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and majorly Sunday. Job requirement. :P

With padded mostly, sometimes with steel.

I may have to take a break till next week. Got a heavy hit on my right elbow last night. :~(

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: sparring.........................         Reply with quote

We spar Just about Every Saturday. We switch between waisters and blunt steel. We've never used padded swords but want to try them out. How do they stack up to the steel and wood we've been using?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sparring.........................         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
We spar Just about Every Saturday. We switch between waisters and blunt steel. We've never used padded swords but want to try them out. How do they stack up to the steel and wood we've been using?

They've got their plusses and minuses, like all bouting tools. It also depends on what padded swords you're using. Most padded swords I really hate, but some members of my group and I have some of Lance Chan's padded swords, and these are probably the nicest padded swords I've used. We practice blossfechten, so for this they're great: They allow you to go full speed without having to wear a whole lot of protection (at bare minumum you should wear some sort of face protection, and gloves are a good idea). These in particular hit with enough "oomph" behind them that your opponent shouldn't be too suicidal in charging in (though it happens). They don't quite feel perfect in the bind, as there is definately some compression you can feel when they hit, but with some sort of lubrication added to them they still slide off each other pretty well. Overall I like them a lot IF you are using them as an aid to other forms of training. Just sparring with these alone isn't very conducive to learning swordsmanship (you may get good at sparring with padded weapons, but that's not the same thing). We also do a lot with wooden wasters, aluminum wasters and steel. We probably also spend at least as much time drilling and practicing as we do sparring: I'm a big believer in cross training, and sparring can only teach certain aspects, not everything.

We also use modified shinai as well for full speed bouting. The addition of a cross guard and a safer thrusting tip are the main modifications, and putting some small lead weights on the ricasso helps make them handle more realistically. Still not perfect, but nothing's truly realistic short of sharp steel fighting with the intent to kill.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hopefully the Gregger and I can get together on this in the future.

Awesome, Patrick. Any plans on what you guys are planning on practicing, or is that still up in the air?

Quote:
Mini-me has expressed an interest, but he hasn't discovered girls yet.

Ha!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,

Nothing has gone past the discussion stage as of yet. I'd guess it will probably be longsword since that seems to be Greg's primary interest, but whether it's Italian or German depends upon which book we decided to concentrate on. Time and training space are two issues that need to be worked out.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sparr at least once a week mostly with longsword dagger or I do kampfringen!
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Twice a week, Sword/buckler for duels, glaive or Sword/heather for skirmishing.
"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Gregster"? The "Greggor"? Sheesh, I didn't know my name had so many synonyns attached to it. Surprised

Like Patrick said; time and space, but mainly time. Actually I have plenty of room at the hanger to play in, so I think that will work. Time really is in short supply for me, at the moment. Plus we honestly have not had a chance to work out any of the particulars on style or weapon. Am I interested in getting started? OH YEAH! Just....too freaking much going on at once. Glad to see some people are getting their licks in.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
but whether it's Italian or German depends upon which book we decided to concentrate on.

Oh, you want to get into German. You know you do. Wink

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Oh, you want to get into German. You know you do. Wink

Yes, yes I do. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sparring         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:

Where did the quiver work best?
I would think the hip, but then that it what I am used to now. Though the back quiver actually requires less movement, IME.

Used to spar all the time, but like a lot of others, can't seem to find a partner anymore.
Still work out with bokken with a couple of friends, occasionally.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sparring
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: