Go to page 1, 2  Next

My new Evans.......
[ Linked Image ]
A pattern welded Scramasax by Vince Evans.

I've been drooling over this piece for two or three weeks now. Yesterday I finally gave in and made the call, and it's headed my way *g*
Congratulations, Patrick me boy ..... truely a nice pickup !

I hopefully will be chatting with Vince tonite and will ask a few questions about it !

Merry Christmas , Mac

[ Linked Image ]
Very nice, Patrick...Congratulations!

Regards,
Very pretty.

What kind of wood is the handle?
Thanks guys.

The handle is birds eye maple.

8 inch blade, 14 1/8 inches overall.
good grab Patrick
Congrats Patrick,
Very Cool,
Best to all for the holiday's,
:)
Hi Patrick

I did talk with Vince last night, as he and Grace are back from Hawaii, and I mentioned your new toy !

Vince said he'd done a couple of scramasax's and that was indeed one of them.
He figured he made that one somewhere in the mid-90's, but would double check his book and let you know exactly !
( he suspected 1995) He believed he originally sold it at a show in California !

Congrats again, Mac
Thanks Mac.

I've been meaning to give Vince a call. Now that he's back I definetly should.

Hopefully all is well with Graces family.
Nice One
Patrick,

That's a beautiful knife (Yup, thought of it all by myself).

Now all you need is a matching pattern-welded Viking Sword w/ birds eye maple handle...and an axe and...

It's a great addition to your growing collection of Evans pieces; may they grow continuously in number.
Congratulations.
Greetings Patrick Kelly, Well done sir! I have looked at this one elsewhere. I am glad you got it. It is a fine statement for fittings on a seax, scramasax, sax. Pardon me, I have found so many names for this type. The size sounds just right. Big enough for serious social affairs but small enough for every day efforts.
I bring up the fitting issue in particular. I have a growing interest in Viking/ Anglo-Saxon right now. I am working on 2 seax . All the "originals" I can find show no fittings except one and I can't find that pic anymore. Considering the high level of craftsmanship of these cultures, I can't believe they didn't finish these out as well as their swords. Yours definitely supports this. I don't believe all of them had a piece of horn or wood wedged on the tang without fittings of some type. Working knife or not, I don't believe a chieftan or warrior of status would tolerate such a thing. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but I would welcome any input. Do tell us about it when it arrives. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Re: Nice One
Stephen S. Han wrote:
Patrick,

That's a beautiful knife (Yup, thought of it all by myself).

Now all you need is a matching pattern-welded Viking Sword w/ birds eye maple handle...and an axe and...

It's a great addition to your growing collection of Evans pieces; may they grow continuously in number.
Congratulations.

Ah yes, a pattern welded Viking Sword is definetly on my list of must-haves. Vince and I have already discussed a Viking Sword based on a well known example found in the River Witham. When Vince starts taking orders again we'll have to get it in the line-up. Unfortunately, no PW'ed blade for that one though due to limited finances.

When I called Nordic Knives to place the order I felt sure that it would have already been sold, since Vinces stuff doesn't normally hang around for long. To be honest part of me was hoping that it would be sold, so that I wouldn't cave in to temptation. However, when I told the shop owner which knife I was interested in his immediate reply was "That's a nice knife!"

I caved :D

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sun 28 Dec, 2003 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Greetings Patrick Kelly, Well done sir! I have looked at this one elsewhere. I am glad you got it. It is a fine statement for fittings on a seax, scramasax, sax. Pardon me, I have found so many names for this type. The size sounds just right. Big enough for serious social affairs but small enough for every day efforts.
I bring up the fitting issue in particular. I have a growing interest in Viking/ Anglo-Saxon right now. I am working on 2 seax . All the "originals" I can find show no fittings except one and I can't find that pic anymore. Considering the high level of craftsmanship of these cultures, I can't believe they didn't finish these out as well as their swords. Yours definitely supports this. I don't believe all of them had a piece of horn or wood wedged on the tang without fittings of some type. Working knife or not, I don't believe a chieftan or warrior of status would tolerate such a thing. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but I would welcome any input. Do tell us about it when it arrives. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

I tend to agree with your viewpoint Patrick. Even though they seemed to have viewed knives more as tools then as symbols of status, I still can't help but think that a noble or chieftan would have wanted something that reflected his position.

This piece perfectly reflects my taste in such things. Both the knife and the sheath possess enough detail so as to create a refined appearance, yet nothing too ornate that interferes with its function.

Three Evans for me *g*
Ben Sweet wrote:
good grab Patrick

It's your fault Ben ;)
Greetings Patrick Kelly, Thank you sir. I think I will put fittings on mine with full regard to function before form. They won't be Evan's but they will be mine. ;) I agree with S. Han. A sword and axe would be a fitting round out. Especially the "Witham" sword. I have an A&A Shifford and older MRL smaller type M axe to go with mine. Or maybe its the other way around. :D Once I get everything done I will have bore everybody with my humble efforts. I sympathize fully with the "limited budget syndrome". :( As you say "Suck it up and get it done". Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Ben Sweet wrote:
good grab Patrick

It's your fault Ben ;)

saw it the day it went up....debated and debated on it...just have tooooo much going on....so I guess I havta wait for you to slap it up in the 4-sale at a nice Sweet discount...I take it you still cant post up pics? I would like to see some good close ups on this baby....

gave you a good heads up on Vegas you going?
Congratulations, Patrick! An exceptionally nice piece there ... very nice! :)
Quote:
saw it the day it went up....debated and debated on it...just have tooooo much going on....so I guess I havta wait for you to slap it up in the 4-sale at a nice Sweet discount...I take it you still cant post up pics? I would like to see some good close ups on this baby....

gave you a good heads up on Vegas you going?

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one Ben *g*

As much as I'd like to I won't be able to make the Vegas show. I'd love to get together, and have the chance to meet Vince, but it just can't happen this time.
And people wonder how I get so much drool on my key board.....that's a really lovely peice there, though I guess when it comes from Vince these things kind of go without saying...
I really like that knife, Patrick. The use of burl wood, bronze (brass?) and pattern-welded blade is such an attractive, organic combination. Lots of natural activity and "decoration" in an empirically simple design. Gorgeous!
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: