Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Patrick's room decor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Patrick's room decor         Reply with quote

The following posts have been seperated from The Reeve arrives in order to keep both discussions focused.

W. Patrick McGuigan wrote:
Very nice display. What did you use to mount the swords on the wall with?

Velcro. Big Grin

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since methods of display were vicariously mentioned here's the viking arms on the other side of the wall.(and also an extremely bad photo)

The Jarl is another interesting comparison to the Reeve. While it possesses very nice handling qualities and is my favorite Next Gen thus far, it does exhibit more blade presence and more of that "cleaver" feeling than the Reeve.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice display arrangement, Patrick. Is there any way that you can get a photo of the entire wall? Also, I am curious to see the whole of the picture in between the viking display to the right and the medieval swords package on the left.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Nice display arrangement, Patrick. Is there any way that you can get a photo of the entire wall? Also, I am curious to see the whole of the picture in between the viking display to the right and the medieval swords package on the left.

That's actually two brass rubbings not one picture. They're of Chaucer and Lady Chaucer. My wife's youngest sister spent her sophomore year at University in England and she sent those to us. We had them for years and I finally had them framed when we moved into the house. There's a large copy of Edmond Blaire Leighton's painting Godspeed in the center of the wall. This is flanked by my swords by Peter Johnsson and Vince Evans. The two rubbings are on the outside of those. It's hard to get a good photo of the whole thing due to the size of the room and the amount of stuff hanging around, but I'll see what I can do.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go Steve.

I confine my 'stuff' to this back room. What do you think, too busy?
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here you go Steve...

Wow! The whole scale of the room is different from what I had pictured, since I had the impression that the two rubbings were one piece of art. Very cool to have a semi-dedicated room for the collection. I love the wall display, with the mix of swords and other art of the time. As for 'busy', no, not compared with my house. Laughing Out Loud But, as long as you are asking, I think that having the TV and associated stuff along the same wall as the swords, etc. creates a little bit larger 'temporal distortion' than my brain is capable of handling smoothly at this time of the morning. If I may make a suggestion, some sort of old (or old looking) cabinet, perhaps in a renaissance style, could enclose the modern hardware, and make the effect more harmonious?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve has an interesting point about the " time travel period shock " ! Ah, still I guess the available room in your house for your toys may make this un-avoidable.

Cluttered no: Very very clean neat and orderly though. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

That " Albion " 1066 T.V. is hard to find though: Are you going to patinate / antique it using the salt water and vinigar technique ? ( O.K. , a bit lame: But I did want to tease you a bit. )

Seriously, the whole room and collection is Jawdropping impressive. Cool Cool Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I rather like it, myself... perhaps one day I'll be able to manage a more integrated display. As it is now, the pieces I have room for are out in the living room on a horizontal rack, or on bookshelves or speakers. Other pieces, sadly, have been put up for safe keeping... including a few high-end production pieces. WTF?!

It's bold with the colors - most people tend towards white, or some variation of it. Without this, I think the room would be desperately lacking something. The choice of period artwork and period/period-inspired sculpture blends the martial with other art forms, which brings it back from the full-on armoury look - again, a good move.

I'm glad you don't have room for a Jabberwock in there... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
But, as long as you are asking, I think that having the TV and associated stuff along the same wall as the swords, etc. creates a little bit larger 'temporal distortion' than my brain is capable of handling smoothly at this time of the morning.

How about a little more "temporal distortion" with a stereo and a couple of helmets?

I heartily agree about the television, it's a bit of a sticking point for me too. I've been looking for a cabinet for quite awhile now. I'm also thinking I need a flat screen to minimize the bulk. It's pretty obvious that swords and movies are two of my passions when you walk into this room.

Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a pinch in terms of where things go. I like to have my 'stuff' around so I don't want to put it all in a closet. On the other hand, I don't want to have it out in the front of the house where it's obvious to anyone who walks in the front door. I don't want the house to look like the southwest Kansas franchise for Medieval Times. Big Grin In the end it means confining everything to this room which also doubles as our family room. Greg's right: I am running out of room! We're thinking of adding onto the house in a couple of years which would give my a room dedicated to my 'stuff'. It would also give my wife the larger master bedroom and bath that she keeps bugging me about. Wink

One of my dreams has always been to have a study/library dedicated to my collection of a&a and related items.

Everything in this room is my fault and my wife takes no reponsibility for it. I told her,"This is what you get for making me watch those stupid home decor shows."

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
It's bold with the colors - most people tend towards white, or some variation of it. Without this, I think the room would be desperately lacking something. The choice of period artwork and period/period-inspired sculpture blends the martial with other art forms, which brings it back from the full-on armoury look - again, a good move.

Thanks, that was the whole idea. We painted the walls a pale yellow when we moved in. (The former owner had painted everything a dark mint green!) It started to have that severe and boring armoury look so I decided to jazz it up a bit with the new paint job, as well as adding some visual interest with a few related items. The other walls are a dark gold, only that wall is red. There is a large window with red drapes on the opposite wall behind the couch so it balances things out.

The lack of a Jabberwocky is strictly due to finance: I would have made room for that! Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...How about a little more "temporal distortion" with a stereo and a couple of helmets?
Major problem, if the CD's have other than correct period music. Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
...I'm also thinking I need a flat screen to minimize the bulk...
Oh, yeah! Gotta do that! Though that may detract a bit from the sword budget!!

Quote:
...I like to have my 'stuff' around so I don't want to put it all in a closet. On the other hand, I don't want to have it out in the front of the house where it's obvious to anyone who walks in the front door...In the end it means confining everything to this room which also doubles as our family room...One of my dreams has always been to have a study/library dedicated to my collection of a&a and related items.
My sentiments exactly, except, in my case, the family room and game room are cluttered with OTHER stuff, so my pointies go in an old gun cabinet in the master bed room - just "temporary" mind you. I still have a couple of bed rooms taken up with kids. Once the nest empties out a bit, I get myArmoury/study Laughing Out Loud
- Sir Toby Belch
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yow. I'm impressed. Hopefully I'll be able to have a setup like that when I'm older.
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
Cluttered no: Very very clean neat and orderly though.

Thanks, that's my anal retentive need for order surfacing. Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Yow. I'm impressed. Hopefully I'll be able to have a setup like that when I'm older.

Quote:
.........when I'm older.

Eek! Eek! Eek! Razz
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Very nicely done...indeed! My wife & I have (with some help from a designer lady from church) have been working on re-doing our living room. When it's finished, I'll post so pics from it.

Like the wall color and the way you've done the weapons. Also see the Edmund Leighton print, they must be a standard for a sword collectors decor, as we have two of them as well.

Looking good lad!

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a beautiful setup. I would very quickly become at home there, best not have me over to your house! Razz Happy
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As it has been said: Nice, very nice.

I had a similar setup going in in my living room.
Might I suggest one of those cabnets that hid the TV. I was aiming for one before i moved and sold all my stuff. Now all I have to hide is a computer. Happy A nice older looking cabinet would look really in place. It would help to remove the technology invasion. You could also stealth that radio in a drawer. Big Grin Take it out when used; go all Japanese on us.

Thumbs up though.... as expected Wink

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BEST. ROOM. EVER.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, any plans for an armour stand to display your hauberk and coif along with everything else? It could be a fun winter project.

. . . and the sad thing is that the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures was, "I want to raid your little longboat and set it on fire. . ." Razz
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, I think if I tried to hang any part of my (very) modest little collection on a wall, my wife would have my head on a pike! Mrs kelly is obviously much more understanding. Big Grin

BTW, when are you going to show us your hauberk? Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Patrick's room decor
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: