Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Waster assembly? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Waster assembly?         Reply with quote

The Gregger and I were just talking about making a couple of wasters. Does anyone know of a good how-to online source for making them?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't tried making a waster myself before, but here's one person's experience:

http://www.ifm-services.com/people/jamesk/woodworking/
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
haven't tried making a waster myself before, but here's one person's experience:

http://www.ifm-services.com/people/jamesk/woodworking/

Thanks for the info. This is something that I have considered in the past. I'm not a great woodworker, but I think that this kind of project is within the scope of my abillity, and if I use my dad's stock replicating machine, I can do two at a time (and what would be the point of having only one waster, after all). I really like the lead in the pommel idea. It might take a few tries to get it right, but proper balance is one of the things that I was worried about with wasters.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Waster assembly?         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The Gregger and I were just talking about making a couple of wasters. Does anyone know of a good how-to online source for making them?

This is something I was considering myself, so I had done some looking - rather fruitless, unfortunately. I did turn up two more sources, and a little bit of "stuff to consider".

This first link is from G. Wade Johnson, an ARMA member who made his own, and posted a how-to that is pretty good:

Wade's ARMA Waster

Maybe between this, the link Bill posted, and looking at some examples of retail pieces may give you some ideas regarding design and construction. A couple of things to consider: First, use the right kind of wood. Most definitely use hardwood - that's obvious, but some are better than others. Hickory, ash, and maple would be better than oak, and may not be too hard to find. Cherry may also be a decent option. Second, make sure that the wood used is of the straightest grain you can find, and knot-free. Third, run the grain along the piece - obvious for the blade, but this is also true for the cross, where it needs to go side to side, perpendicular to the blade.

I like woodwork. Personally, I don't know if I would go through the effort of making one myself - I won't need a bunch of them, so the learning curve, frustration, and effort of locating proper materials personally isn't worth the $80 or so... but that's me.

The second link is also from ARMA, off of their main webpage. Though not a waster, per se, it is still a sparring tool. They've made swords from oak slats, aluminum flat bar, closed-cell foam, leather, and fabric.
ARMA Practice Sword, 2nd Gen.

More information on their suggestions on making padded practice weapons can be found here:
ARMA Practice Weapons

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Waster assembly?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic