Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A thank you to our members......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: A thank you to our members.........         Reply with quote

Everyone,

As most of you know there are three of us who actively moderate these discussion boards. There are times when one of us may have to back away for a while due to life's issues or simply because we need a break. At times I personally may need to go out of town on work related issues as well. In spite of having few moderators we can do these things without fear of the other moderators being overwhelmed, or that things might explode into a flame war.

We also have people participating here who have previously shunned the internet like the proverbial plague, as well as others who no longer participate on other forums due to the antics and politics that seem to permeate cyberspace. We've received recognition from serious members of the museum community and have industry professionals willingly contacting us for input.

Our contributing team puts in a lot of effort on this Web site and they're a big reason for our success, but a large share of the credit also goes to you, our members. From day one you've conducted yourselves in a mature manner that, quite honestly, has made our jobs far easier than any of us anticipated. Your behavior has allowed people to feel comfortable in participating here when they might refuse to do so otherwise. The educational exchange that goes on here on the discussion forums has been a big benefit to all of us and really reflects well on myArmoury.

I just wanted to take the time to give all of you my personal thanks for making this Web site a source of pride instead of a large headache.

As we've often said, "We rock!" and so do you.

Thanks.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick! For your endorsement and for the collective effort to make this a place of easy access for oft times hard to find info, as well as a forum of prolific, positive and knowlegeable discussion not based on egos. Personally, I've never felt a need to add to many of these threads (of the more informative variety) as I would merely be echoing redundancy to already good commentary and information. This is a good thing. Because I probably would come off wrong if I did contribute (I'm a bit of a sass-mouth with the perpetual taste of shoe leather on my tongue! Wink ). Thanks again.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aręd"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

I think it's a bit like controlling a heavy load on some sort of cart downhill ( Done this with a" TON " of video & lighting equipment on video shoots. ) The trick is to never let the mass accelerate.

You guys are the one catching stuff before any negative momentum can build up. The good tone of this place has it's own momentum so you can let it run by itself without problems for short intervals of time because the vast majority of members also like civility in their discussions.

So I think we can accept the compliment but if all you guys left us alone for a month ................. Eek!

So, right back at you: You guys have the right balance of letting opinion, any opinion be discussed freely, but don't let bad behaviour even start.

THANKS

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick. You, Chad and Nathan do a fantastic job. And thanks to the rest of the MA team as well for helping to make this site what it is. I will most certainly be renewing my membership for another year.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, seeing as I act the part of student on these forums, and never that of a teacher, to my memory, I must extend my own gratitude to all who contribute here. I have to agree with the above statements, but also mention that, in my opinion, the reason for such quality of writing and knowledge in this forum is that most everyone in here has a very deep and genuine interest in the study of historical arms and armour.

This forum also has access to some of the lead producers of excellent reproduction arms & armour, which helps to lend an official bent to many of the discussions (see the Construction Method Comparison thread http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4901 for a really excellent discussion that proves this point, I think.) So whatever you folks did to get them over here, I applaud you for it.

Well, that's my two cents.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As long as we're tossing out the warm fuzzys, I'd love to add my thanks for the many great conversations, even (an sometimes especially) when I'm just listening. The interaction with such divers people with the passion to strive for better understanding, the desire to pour their own ideas into the pot, and the willingness to consider contrary ideas in a civil manner is refreshing in a world of shouting matches and ad hominem attacks.

In most forums I've seen the average post is five to ten (generally vulgar) words scrawled out in a desperate attempt to gainsay or achieve a percieved "victory". The vast majority of myArmoury posts are insightful, well written, and show a depth of knowledge far beyond the norm. Maybe it's a natural side effect of innate intelectual curiousity that keeps us civil - we don't wan't to close a door to learning by offending someone who might teach us something wonderful. Knowledge is my drug of choice.

Thanks to all the myArmoury team for all of your hard work.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A thank you to our members.........
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic