Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Hospitaller Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Introducing... The Hospitaller         Reply with quote

Please bear with me on this one... I am sure you are wondering why I am so excited about a very plain-looking sword.

In 1969, I got my first "real" sword -- a huge expense for my Dad at that time (I was 14) and it was my version of the Red Ryder BB gun -- something I drooled over and never really thought I'd get. I saw it at Sears, of all places (and most likely the light shining from above on it was added by my imagination.)

It was made by Wilkinson for the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales, limited edition of 1,000. It was numbered and came with a plaque in a crate (who says that things from your childhood don't color the rest of your life?)

It was supposed to be an exact replica of 12th C. sword #1027 from the Tower Armouries (now Leeds.) It was (and still is) one of my most prized possessions (and is hanging in a rack behind me right now.)

Years later, when I saw a photo of the original sword, I realized that "exact replica" was a bit of a stretch. Beautiful sword -- gold-plated hilt components, walnut grip, even peened -- by Wilkinson, but it wasn't even close to #1027, except maybe in spirit.

As a result, I have always wanted sword like #1027, so Peter was kind enough to indulge me and design the Hospitaller to fill that need.

This is a cutter. It screams it.

As Eric would say, the big pommel is what makes this sword sing -- the counterbalance of the big pommel really makes it lively and quick, while losing nothing of its blade presence. I can't wait to cut with this guy.

More here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ler-xa.htm

Specifications
Total length: 40" (102 cm)
Blade length: 33.75" (86 cm)
Blade width: 1.88" (4.8 cm)
CoG: 5.25" (13 cm)
CoP: 22" (56 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs 10.2 oz (1.2 kilos)

As soon as orders are filled, I'm getting one with a campaign grip. It'll never take the place of my Knight, but the Hospitaller and my Wilkinson will probably hang side by side in my house.

Ok, I'm done now.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<SIGH>
You guys are killing me. What with re-modeling the house and saving for Scotland/Ireland next summer I have no spare cash for me. And here you go.......coming out with all these great, beautiful swords. Was just talking about creating a Hospitaller kit. Maybe it's time to sell the baby; anyone out there want a very nice 600hp 1969 GTO? Only had it since '81. <cry>

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Hospitaller         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Please bear with me on this one... I am sure you are wondering why I am so excited about a very plain-looking sword...

... As soon as orders are filled, I'm getting one with a campaign grip. It'll never take the place of my Knight, but the Hospitaller and my Wilkinson will probably hang side by side in my house.

Ok, I'm done now.

"Ok, I'm done now?" WTF?! I sure hope not, my friend! I desperately hope not - at least not done with this passionate spirit! This is the kid in you, Howy, the dreamer, the wide-eyed believer in the fantastic! This is part of why you (Howy and Albion both) have accomplished what you have.

I'm glad to see this come true for you, and it's just downright cool to "see" the passion emerge in such a way. You own the place, could have your pick of any or all... you could get complacent, bored... but you hold this dear. Congrats, and thank you!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg needs one of those. How often do you drive that car anyway? Wink
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite look in a medieval sword is total simplicity. As with the Bayeaux, it's the cruciform-hilt sword in its purest form.

Brian M
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These kinds of dreams are a wonderful thing when they become reality. I'm glad this one came true for you, Howy. Another beautiful sword. Thanks to you, and the rest of your talented staff, for providing such works for us to enjoy.

You wouldn't have $600.00 that I could borrow by any chance would you? Big Grin

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Greg needs one of those. How often do you drive that car anyway? Wink

Hmm... a Next Gen Hospitaller for an old goat... I hate to see a man in anguish like that, so I might be pursuaded to take that hit... but only 'cause I'm a really nice guy.

What do you say, Greg? Even swap? Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is really great. Happy Between this and the Bayeaux, I don't know which I like more! Big Grin
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron,
Ummmm, let me think about that...ahhh, no. But, thank you soooooo much for your thoughtfulness Wink Razz
Of course, the problem is I want(need) more than one sword, IE: Hospitaller, Munich, a different Claymore than I have, etc.

Howy,
I should have said....Thank you! for all the excellent product ideas you folks are coming out with. I'm glad to hear you have a special interest in this one yourself, and that you were able to make it happen. Keep up the good works.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I told Mike that Albion employees should work 24/7 I was only joking! Sheesh...

Now let's see what's left....The Sherriff (Fall 2005)....the Kingmaker (Late 2005) and the Munich (Late 2005). About 7 weeks to go...will they make it?
I wonder which one's next....I'd put my money on the Munich....dunno why exactly....just a feeling....
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
When I told Mike that Albion employees should work 24/7 I was only joking! Sheesh...

Now let's see what's left....The Sherriff (Fall 2005)....the Kingmaker (Late 2005) and the Munich (Late 2005). About 7 weeks to go...will they make it?
I wonder which one's next....I'd put my money on the Munich....dunno why exactly....just a feeling....

Albion already posted a picture of the prototype blade for the Kingmaker once, so I'm guessing that one is getting along nicely too.

Great looking sword Howy, and even more so knowing it's a dream-sword of yours.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Howy!

Hearing how significant this sword is for you makes me even more pleased and even honored that you chose to accept my name for it in the "Name that Sword" contest.

This is a very handsome sword and would round out my collection of high middleage weapons nicely. I will have to consider it and how it compares with my Templar.

Again a hearty congrats to you and everyone at Albion- you have built and are continuing to built a great conmpany with whom I am so pleased to hand over my money! Laughing Out Loud
Jeremy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another beauty, Howy!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I'm liking the bayeux a little more, myself. In any case, congratulations, Howy, on living your dream Happy

Now, Greg, what you should be asking yourself is, "Does Howy need a 600hp '69 GTO. . ."
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been anxiously waiting to see how the Hospitaller would turn out. Very nice! Simplicity in its finest. Wink
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Hospitaller         Reply with quote

Hello Howard,

Tell me, does it share the blade of the Ritter? I have the latter and love it, I was just wondering about this one. I used to have Type XIIs as my favourite, but I'm leaning toward the XI's these days. I love the longer blades.

Cheers,

Quote:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ler-xa.htm

Specifications
Total length: 40" (102 cm)
Blade length: 33.75" (86 cm)
Blade width: 1.88" (4.8 cm)
CoG: 5.25" (13 cm)
CoP: 22" (56 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs 10.2 oz (1.2 kilos)

As soon as orders are filled, I'm getting one with a campaign grip. It'll never take the place of my Knight, but the Hospitaller and my Wilkinson will probably hang side by side in my house.

Ok, I'm done now.

Best,

Howy

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It uses the Ritter blade, which is a "tweener" between a type-XI and a type-XIIIb. I'll be getting the Ritter myself.

Brian M
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow-This sword looks great!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh me. Oh my. Gimme my heart back, damnit. And stop blindsiding me with all these lovely beauties I never thought I'd like!

(No, no, I don't actually mean that! It just slipped out - my sanity got the better of me momentarily. Please don't ever stop.)

I absolutely love this one - and more because of the business-like plainness than despite it. You can tell it was made to chew maille, not sit idly around in a trophy room. And that big pommel really nails the whole deal, completing the simple but elegant lines and proportions... BTW, is it just me, or is the pommel considerably larger than in the initial sketch? Because that's the main reason I didn't expect much of it based on the concept art, the pommel looking too small aesthetically in proportion to the rest of the sword.

Mon dieu! was I wrong.

Strongly resembling the sword of St Galgano doesn't hurt, either...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I thought I had settled on the Ritter to add to my collection now I'm not quite sure. Hmmmm.

You guys have put out a lot of swords in the last month or so. According to the website there are only 3 left this year to produce, the Sherriff, Kingmaker, and the Munich. Are you going to be able to fit them all in?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Hospitaller
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: