Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Crusades: Crescent & the Cross Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: The Crusades: Crescent & the Cross         Reply with quote

A new show titled "The Crusades: Crescent & the Cross" is to air on the History Channel tomorrow and Monday nights (9pm/8c).

From the description on the site: "This November, The History Channel travels back in time for a historical, vivid, and clear-eyed look at the first three Crusades, the battle between the crescent and the cross, which still shapes the Middle East and relations between the two great religions in our present day world."

It is suppsed to be based upon contemporary accounts, both Muslim and Christian.

I don't know if I'll be able to catch it - I'm at work, and the satellite is acting up, so it may not be available, but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention if they weren't aware already. Don't know about programming outside of the US...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have cable, but I might be interested in picking this up on DVD IF the show is any good. I would appreciate feedback from those in our community who are able to watch it.
From my limited experience (seeing some DVD's plus seeing cable while on business trips), the accuracy and presentation of the shows on the History Channel can be a bit uneven.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Judging from the quality of the photos on the HC website link I don't have much confidence in the production values of this one.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Judging from the quality of the photos on the HC website link I don't have much confidence in the production values of this one.
I see what you mean. The photo presented as Richard Lion Heart looks like some sort of caricature, as just an example.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Worried

That'd be too bad... I was hoping it might be decent.

If anyone does catch it, perhaps I might be able to get some feedback on it to perhaps pursue it later? Worthwhile or not, it doesn't look like I'll be able to catch it here.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The photo presented as Richard Lion Heart looks like some sort of caricature, as just an example.

Eek! I just went back to look at the pics... man, if THAT'S supposed to be Richard... maybe my time would be better spent watching this instead.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...maybe my time would be better spent watching this instead.
The Baron looks interesting. Careful, though - I can't find on the GDFB site if this is available in NTSB, or just PAL.
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The Baron looks interesting. Careful, though - I can't find on the GDFB site if this is available in NTSB, or just PAL.

Unfortunately, the two trailers (ok, a trailer and a blooper reel) seem to have been removed from GDFB's site... saw them a while back - looks to be what I would describe as "amature Python".

I'd definitely inquire before I invested regarding format...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw those trailers at GDFB. While several of their products interest me that isn't one of them.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I saw those trailers at GDFB. While several of their products interest me that isn't one of them.

Exactly. Pretty much made middle-of-the-night B-movies look like high-budget blockbusters.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see what you mean about Richard. That sword looks quite silly, too. In any case, I'm not surprised. They messed up quite a bit in 'Russia, Land of the Tsars' too. Alexius Comnenus looks about as Greek as Erik the Red.

I don't know what the site refers to when it mentions 'The city of Damascus called for Nur al-Din's help to defend them from the Crusaders.' True, the city was attacked by the Latins in 1126 and 1129, but this was during the rule of Zengi. Ah well!

They also like to dig towards the bottom of the barrel with the scholars that speak on their shows.

Funnily, though, their promotional partners are Spamalot, D&D, and (strangely) Osprey.

Last edited by Alexander Hinman on Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
...Funnily, though, their promotional partners are Spamalot, D&D, and (strangely) Osprey.
Yes, this production's credibility as a serious work, in my eyes, was not helped by the Spamalot and D&D connections.
- Sir Toby Belch
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that picture of King Richard was a little ..... 'scary.' No wonder the First was the only successful one! Razz I'll watch it anyway. It might be neat. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm probably going to watch it tonight, but I will not expect it to be good. I was just watching a show on the Goths attacking the Romans and It was very sad. They often have clips of reenactments of the battles while the historians are talking. Well, in one scene, the Goths were charging, and I happened to notice one man had a round shield in one hand and a scottish claymore in the other!! Not exactly my idea for accurate.
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Well, in one scene, the Goths were charging, and I happened to notice one man had a round shield in one hand and a scottish claymore in the other!! Not exactly my idea for accurate.

Aside from potentiating or generating the common misunderstandings about arms, armour, combat, and history in general (which a huge portion of the world could care less about), what's the issue?

Of course, I'm being sarcastic, but it makes me wonder why, if the point is to have a documentary on history, on a channel that is supposed to be about - you guessed it - history, that they don't bother to study... history?

Once in a while, though, we can make a difference ourselves... today, while hanging out in my office reading one of Tobler's books, one of my co-workers came in. Curious, he inquired what I was reading... I handed it to him.

"You... you do this?"

"Last 15 years, give or take..."

"Wow... like that?"

"Sometimes... want to see some pics?"

And we spent the next hour or so talking about the evolution and interaction of arms and armour... We checked out some pictures, talked a little high-level history... He had to bail to actually get some work done, but will be back after hours to talk some more.

I dispelled a few Hollywood myths...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to watch it. I'll post my thoughts after it's over.

Ben

"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good for you Aaron you seem to be doing a good job recruiting new sword CULT members. Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

Aaron said: " Once in a while, though, we can make a difference ourselves... today, while hanging out in my office reading one of Tobler's books, one of my co-workers came in. Curious, he inquired what I was reading... I handed it to him. "

Sounds like fun, makes me sad that I live thousands of miles away in the GREAT, soon to be again, WHITE NORTH, I'm sure I would have enjoyed the conversation and the practical learning experience.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Good for you Aaron you seem to be doing a good job recruiting new sword CULT members. Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

Sounds like fun, makes me sad that I live thousands of miles away in the GREAT, soon to be again, WHITE NORTH, I'm sure I would have enjoyed the conversation and the practical learning experience.

Thanks, Jean. It would have been cool to have you.

This is one of the main thrills I get out of this hobby (obsession?). It got a lot, lot better here a little while ago. He called his wife to tell her about the conversation - one of his sons went Trick-or-Treating as a knight, and his daughter went as Joan of Arc. They have 4 kids, and she homeschools them, and they have friends who do the same. Looks like there will be an educational talk and show & tell sometime next year, though details still need to be worked out as to time, place, and focus. THAT is one of my favorite things in the world to do - bring a look at history to a fresh, open, still amazed mind. Many of us had that "cool experience" that really turned us on to the collecting, study, interest in history, arms, armour, art, or any of the other facets... perhaps I could provide something for these youngsters that will positively impact them for a lifetime.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first part was pretty good. I'm going to watch part two tomorrow. A good use of two hours.
"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got thru watching it. I thought it was pretty good and I learned a lot. I'm gonna try to watch the rest of it tomorrow night (either this or Monday night football Cool ). What was particularly interesting was when the Crusaders defending Antioch were holding up the Holy Lance as they thought this would guarantee their victory over the approaching Turks. Apparently it did. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Crusades: Crescent & the Cross
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: