Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Happy Halloween! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Happy Halloween!         Reply with quote

I just wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy Halloween.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays--it's cool because, while kids obviously love it, it's also a chance for adults to be kids again.

Unfortunately, I didn't do anything special this time around. The past couple of months were trying ones for my girlfriend and I, and we decided to end the romantic side of things yesterday (we we best friends before we dated, and we're planning on going back to that). I'm disappointed that things didn't work out, but nobody can say that we didn't try--the "passion" just fizzled out.

In any case, because of all of the above, I didn't attend any local parties, or even go to the Chiller Theater horror/sci-fi/fantasy convention that they hold here twice a year (in May and in Oct). Just wasn't feeling particularly festive.

However, now that it's actually Halloween, I'm viewing things in a different light. Even though this year was a bit of a washout, it's still the coolest holiday, in terms of sheer fun, at least. That feeling is still "catchy" even when things aren't so spectactular. I'm looking forward to improving my life (I want to become a personal trainer; I'm going back to fencing; and I want to start writing again), and I may as well declare that here and now.

Happy Halloween!

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your romantic troubles. But sometimes that’s just the way things work out. As for looking at things in a new light, some believe that Halloween is a time for new beginnings. I’ve always believed that it was the beginning of a new cycle. It symbolically means the end of summer and marks the start of the holiday season. At least that’s how I’ve always felt. So start fresh and lots of luck.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Holczer wrote:
Sorry to hear about your romantic troubles. But sometimes that’s just the way things work out. As for looking at things in a new light, some believe that Halloween is a time for new beginnings. I’ve always believed that it was the beginning of a new cycle. It symbolically means the end of summer and marks the start of the holiday season. At least that’s how I’ve always felt. So start fresh and lots of luck.

Thanks, bro.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Halloween ought to be a national holiday. Whenever people talk about the "Holidays" and/or the "holiday season," I include Halloween! It makes sense, right? Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are all within a month or less of each other.

So on that note, I wish everyone Happy Holidays!! Razz

BTW, what are your Halloween costumes? I'm taking my sister's kids trick-or-treating and am dressing up as a Musketeer. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good goals, David - best of luck with them.

Halloween rules - been my favorite of all holidays since I can remember. Something cool about being able to play the part of something I wanted to be, which usually involved a sword.

I didn't have any opportunity to make it out for the Halloween parties around town this weekend, but my room mate did - won first prize (some cash and a bottle of rum, I think) with his Templar kit. I'll try to chase some pics if there were any.

Sadly, Halloween seems to have more or less disappeared here. Don't know if it was the aftermath of the hurricanes or if it's the Bible Belt influence or what... not a single kid knocked on the door all weekend. Possibly tonight... Fun to be all decked out and interact with the kids.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best of luck to you David. Starting over to how things were before a relationship is hard, but it's definately doable, and sometimes for the best.

Halloween's definately my favorite holiday. I always dress up, sometimes sword related, sometimes not. In the past I've done a lot of sword related costumes (pirate, old kung fu movie actor, wearing my harness, etc.), so this year I'm going for something different. I'm putting on a baseball catcher's outfit, and putting on a clear plastic bag over that. On the plastic bag is a rye bread logo. I'm claiming to be Holden Caulfield. People will either get it or not, or assume I'm going to a baseball game and am afraid of rain. Makes no difference to me. Happy
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Good goals, David - best of luck with them.

Thanks, Aaron.

As my buddy Carl says, "Don't forget that you still have the iron--the iron is your friend" (referring to our mutual obsession with kettlebells, dumbells, and anything related to Sandow/Hackenschmidt-era physical culture & training). Happy

Quote:
Halloween rules - been my favorite of all holidays since I can remember. Something cool about being able to play the part of something I wanted to be, which usually involved a sword.

Same here--it's yet another excuse to get decked out in weaponry and silly period clothing, just when the Renaissance Festival season is winding down.

Quote:
I didn't have any opportunity to make it out for the Halloween parties around town this weekend, but my room mate did - won first prize (some cash and a bottle of rum, I think) with his Templar kit. I'll try to chase some pics if there were any.

Sweet. Post 'em!

Quote:
Sadly, Halloween seems to have more or less disappeared here. Don't know if it was the aftermath of the hurricanes or if it's the Bible Belt influence or what... not a single kid knocked on the door all weekend. Possibly tonight... Fun to be all decked out and interact with the kids.

I've noticed that as a general trend which began when I was still a kid.

The first warning signs were all the rumors about all the sickos who were apparently tampering with with candy, etc.

Years later, the Fundamentalist Christian movement seemed to swing into high gear, and suddenly anything that had non-Christian origins was beyond taboo--including, of course, Halloween.

In any case, it's still fun stuff, and hopefully it will stay that way for future generations.

Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I admit it. I've never outgrown playing dress up. Halloween is as good an excuse as any. I'm not going to any parties, unless you count my fourth grader's classroom party, but I'm still going to put on a costume.

Edward Hitchens wrote:

BTW, what are your Halloween costumes? I'm taking my sister's kids trick-or-treating and am dressing up as a Musketeer. -Ted

I just finished making it this week. We'll see if I did a good enough job that somebody might recognize who I am supposed to be. I know the details are far from perfect. It is just a costume after all. Happy

Attachment: 29.16 KB
costume_post.JPG

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Best of luck to you David. Starting over to how things were before a relationship is hard, but it's definately doable, and sometimes for the best.

In this case, it really is for the best--the feeling was largely mutual.

In fact, I might have beaten my ex to the punch, had it not been for the simple reason that, despite the problems, I just hate periods of change.

But it had to be done. Transitioning back to Platonic friendship may be a tad tricky, but that's the way it goes.

Thanks for the kind words.

David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:

At this stage in my life, I rely on basically two different costumes: I go either as Alex from Clockwork Orange, or I just bust out the Renaissance gear that I wear to festivals & reenactments.

The attached file of myself and my friend Carl is pretty representational--I'm the short rogue on the left with the black arming cap.

Attachment: 35.02 KB
Carl and Me.jpg

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I'm putting on a baseball catcher's outfit, and putting on a clear plastic bag over that. On the plastic bag is a rye bread logo. I'm claiming to be Holden Caulfield. People will either get it or not, or assume I'm going to a baseball game and am afraid of rain. Makes no difference to me. Happy

LOL! You hadn't told me about that part. Very clever!
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
We'll see if I did a good enough job that somebody might recognize who I am supposed to be. I know the details are far from perfect. It is just a costume after all. Happy

The White Lady of Rohan! Great job! Last year I was an Uruk-hai (made the whole kit and wore it at DragonCon). Today I'm sitting at my government desk dressed as the Grim Reaper. I love the classics. Even made myself a big scythe. For the Harry Potter crowd, I can ditch the scythe and I'm a dementor. Or strap on a sword, and I'm a Nazgul! Too much fun!

Back in old Markland days, it was considered poor form to wear any sort of historical stuff on Halloween, unless it was skewed or warped in some way. I still try to stick to that, though my costumes do usually have a couple historical bits somewhere just cuz that's what makes up most of my closet...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Matthew/Ugluk/Death
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Halloween is the only time of year I can openly wear or carry a sword in public and no one says anything about it, except to ask, "Is that real?"
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
LOL! You hadn't told me about that part. Very clever!

I most certainly did! That's why I asked you about the iron ons, so I could make the shirt say "The Salingers" for the team logo, and on the back have the name "CAULFIELD" and player number "51". (FYI, '51 was when the book was published.)

Your outfit looks fantastic, by the way!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck, David. Been there, done that. But things DO turn around.

Bill Grandy wrote:
...I'm putting on a baseball catcher's outfit, and putting on a clear plastic bag over that. On the plastic bag is a rye bread logo. I'm claiming to be Holden Caulfield....
Perhaps a little obscure for many people, Bill. Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir wrote:
...I just finished making it this week. We'll see if I did a good enough job that somebody might recognize who I am supposed to be. I know the details are far from perfect. It is just a costume after all.
Very cool, Pamela!

As for me, I have candy distribution duties. My son went out in knightly garb, however, wearing my great helm, and some other goodies.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Halloween, everyone !

Wishing you all a safe & sane one !

Cheers, Mac

P.S. Hang in there David !

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Turned out to be an odd sort of evening...

2 armed and armouredTemplars busting up into the local watering hole. Oddly, my beer never ran dry, and I left with more cash than I went in with... (yeah, like cash stuffed into my braies... not gonna say another word...)

Karaoke erupted... it was NOT a pretty site.

Thankfully, there were no cameras present.

Hope everyone else had a safe and happy time.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

I'm an old married lady, but I do remember what it is like when a relationship ends or changes. I hurt for you. I can also say from experience that time really does heal all wounds. I wish you the best.

Bill Grandy wrote:

I most certainly did!

Blame it on senility. I do think it's clever. Bad puns are one of my not-so-secret vices. Razz

Bill Grandy wrote:

Your outfit looks fantastic, by the way!

Thanks! Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Happy Halloween, everyone !

Wishing you all a safe & sane one !

Cheers, Mac

P.S. Hang in there David !

Thank you, sir!

P.S. Love the signature! Happy

David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Good luck, David. Been there, done that. But things DO turn around.

Thank you, Steve.

I know things will be alright in regards to this situation.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Happy Halloween!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: