Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need some advice - horse armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Philip Cromwell

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Need some advice - horse armor         Reply with quote

Greetings all - I'm new to these boards, although I'll surely run across a few familiar names here somewhere.

Anyway, on to the point. There are a hundred million people out there doing armour for people (which I need), but it's much harder in my experience to find someone who can make equestrian armour. I know there are some, but I only seem to find them by accident. My question is this: does anyone here actually *own* any armour for their horse, and if so, what's your experience been in selecting/buying it? When I actually get around to commissioning, I'd like to have investigated a few producers first.

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Philip
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip;

Just to get the ball rolling here is a custom Chanfron by A & A and I think Valentine Armouries has or had some also at a lower price.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom905.html

With the page on the Valentine site scroll down a bit to find the image.
http://www.varmouries.com/vspecial2.html

Any other horse armour parts I don't have any info for you.

I'm sure other here have the expertise to give you tips on how to use horse armour and what are the possible sources.

I would imagine that horse armour would be costly and would need to be fitted to the horse so as to not " harm " the horse or be extremely uncomfortable and the horse would have to be made used to wearing it. Cheap horse armour might be good enough for an armour display museum style with maybe an armoured " dummy " rider !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 24 Oct, 2005 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice - horse armor         Reply with quote

Philip Cromwell wrote:
Greetings all - I'm new to these boards, although I'll surely run across a few familiar names here somewhere.

Darn straight you will. How the heck are you, Phil?

I'm afraid equestrian armour is outside of my area, though I did want to add a second vote for Valentine based on secondary experience. I don't know first hand, but I have heard good things about his horse armour, and he's definately worked with making them before. He's also got three chamfrons on his specials page right now: http://www.varmouries.com/vspecial2.html
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phillip;

Horse armour is something that I'm certainly interested in getting at some point for my horse, but haven't as of yet found a decent source either, so I look forward to seeing the results of your query here. So far my experience has been pretty limited, but since my horse doesn't mind wearing a leather chamfron much, I'm encouraged to dig deeper into this!

I was fortunate enough to get to closely look at two horse armours last year at the Seattle Arts Museum, which had a display of armours belonging to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and his son Phillip II of Spain. I was impressed with the fact that the armour wasn't nearly as heavy as I had thought it would be, and that it was bolted together, rather than being buckled as I had imagined. Pretty cool stuff all told, and it definitely whetted my appetite for more information!

Good luck on this, as I'd love to know more myself.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phill? as in used to live in northern va, wash dc area Phill that went to college in scotland?
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John "Shark" Perry makes very nice horse armour (usually in stainless) at relatively good prices. Shark takes a while though.

Here is a link to the armour he made for Dragon, Shane Adam's horse:

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/ph/g...oto2.shtml

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Philip Cromwell

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Many thanks         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the input - sorry it took me so long, I couldn't find my own post anymore. But all is well now, seems I put it in the wrong forum.

Bill! I'm excellent, my friend. Finishing up here in Scotland, then on my way back to the States to take up my apprenticeship full-time and get in some jousting and other things. How have you been?

Chuck! Yes, same one. What are you up to these days? Still in WVa?

Thanks again, guys, and I'll keep you updated on my search - especially you, Gordon. I take it you're putting your time in in the lists too?

Cheers,

Philip
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Many thanks         Reply with quote

Philip Cromwell wrote:

Thanks again, guys, and I'll keep you updated on my search - especially you, Gordon. I take it you're putting your time in in the lists too?

Some, but not enough time, yet! I'm still pretty much in the "Getting there" stage for Jousting proper, though I'm putting in lots of practice with others, and have a WONDERFUL horse for this sort of thing. He loves it! Having a tiltyard in the pasture helps, too! Big Grin

But I've done tons of Cavalry stuff, though, and this is one more venue to play with horses and weapons! Big Grin

Now Lloyd, HE'S put a LOT of time in the lysts! Cool

What part of the States are you moving back to, anyway? East or West, or Middle?

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Philip Cromwell

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Many thanks         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

What part of the States are you moving back to, anyway? East or West, or Middle?

Gordon

I'll be going back to Virginia, at least for a little while. My horses are in California with that branch of the family, so I may or may not work my way out there. I'll at least be going back and forth as often as work allows to get in practice. If things change (my first horse is nearly 23, so they may change in the near future), might relocate my mount to the east coast and stick around a while.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need some advice - horse armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic