Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY want. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY want.         Reply with quote

I love swords, and have maybe a dozen in my collection, but at the moment, I'm really not lusting after any more. Maybe it's that I have some good production swords that really kick butt and I don't think I'm going to get any better.

Should I seek counseling?

Wink

Last edited by Jeff Johnson on Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or just look at a few certain sites for a while and your cravings will return, I´m sure! Big Grin
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That IS strange. Maybe you're coming down with something. Like a fever or the like.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY w         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:

Wink

You may not need counseling (I always do Wink ). It may be that you already have all the swords you could possibly want and you're simply waiting for another desireable one to come along. That happens. There are still one or two swords on the market that I would absolutely love to have, but beyond those I can add more to my collection simply if my budget allows and I think to myself "sure I'll take it, why not?"

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY w         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:

I feel the same way, for the most part, Jeff. Maybe we can get a group session going?

Kidding aside, I have what I really want right now (including the couple I have on order - just haven't come yet in the case of the Svante, and the Munich isn't in production). That's 12... and I'm really very content. There are a few pieces I'd like to have just to round out the Typology-based collection, but it would be for that more than lustful desire... it's a "Yeah, I'll take it, I guess" as opposed to "OMG!!! GOTTA HAVE IT!!!" attitude.

I never thought I might feel that way... I'm really a bit apathetic looking at catalogs and websites. Time for a change of gears for a while, or maybe just some time to settle with what's here... perhaps it's the same for you?

My focus is now more on the information and history, the methods and usage... Also, there's the flip side of this coin - armour. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY w         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
I love swords, and have maybe a dozen in my collection, but at the moment, I'm really not lusting after any more. Maybe it's that I have some good production swords that really kick butt and I don't think I'm going to get any better.

Wink

Nonsense. There's plenty of swords you still want, you just don't know it yet. I mean, I do bronze age, and thought I only wanted bronze age swords. Then came iron age ones, early medieval, Viking. I don't have any swords of those periods yet, but I'm working on changing that. And I thought that would be it. Now I suddenly have an Indian tulwar on its way. If you'd asked me three months ago whether I'd ever get anything post 11th century Europe, I'd probably have laughed Happy
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY w         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Jeff Johnson wrote:

I feel the same way, for the most part, Jeff. Maybe we can get a group session going?

Kidding aside, I have what I really want right now (including the couple I have on order - just haven't come yet in the case of the Svante, and the Munich isn't in production). That's 12... and I'm really very content. There are a few pieces I'd like to have just to round out the Typology-based collection, but it would be for that more than lustful desire... it's a "Yeah, I'll take it, I guess" as opposed to "OMG!!! GOTTA HAVE IT!!!" attitude.

I never thought I might feel that way... I'm really a bit apathetic looking at catalogs and websites. Time for a change of gears for a while, or maybe just some time to settle with what's here... perhaps it's the same for you?

My focus is now more on the information and history, the methods and usage... Also, there's the flip side of this coin - armour. Wink

hear hear!

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say, revel in your freedom from addiction (if only for a short while)!

We all know how the love of good weaponry can Reeve your bank account. Sometimes, all you need is a break now and Thegn to refocus on your collections. Meanwhile, sit back, read a good book on armour, and imagine yourself in a full suit with a good sword!

See y'all down on the Bayeaux for some southern Hospitaler-ty!
<
<
<
<
<
<
Gods, that was shameless -- but fun! Wink

Cheers!

-- Carl Croushore
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Croushore wrote:
Gods, that was shameless -- but fun! Wink

Hey Carl -

Alright, so honestly I'm a little interested in seeing the Reeve... mostly to see the execution of the pommel...

... and your post was rather clever. I'll give you that much.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe it's not that you don't want any more swords, but that no one yet makes the swords/hafted weapons/armour that you want!

I know that is the case with me. I look at production and even some custom pieces, and see nothing that I want all that much, but have several dozen historical pieces I would love to see reproduced (at a high-end, meticulous level).
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,

Perhaps when Albion begins running out their line of reproduction swizzle swords that will perk your interests Cool

Also, I vote that the Caithness pommel should be added to the emoticons for easy access in the future

Kenton
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Obvious need for counselling (perhaps myArmoury could set up a charitable fund to pay for counselling- 'The myArmoury Benevolent Fund for Lost Souls Who have Temporarily Fallen From Enthusiam For Historical Arms & Armour ' or some such - everyone can gather in a room together for sessions and say 'Er......my name is John....and ...er.... I don't currently have a desired sword' and sit down with their hands between their knees and stare at the floor.

Seriously though i echo Aaron's comments above about history and info. I find my desire to collect goes in waves and troughs. A couple of years ago I was keen to buy a variety of pieces and wasn't reading much or visiting that many museums, but the last 18 months when i go to the big antique A&A fairs I look at the displays but most of my time is spent at the book stalls picking up books i don't have. Likewise I was at the British Museum bookshop on Sunday and was looking at a few sword books that I didn't own but ended up walking out with a book of Icelandic Sagas, a historical atlas of medieval Europe and a book about the development of piracy alongside the growth in Carribean trade. I think there are times when you are interested in the items and times when you want to learn more about the background, and these are natural changes I guess.
Eric L.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think a group session is a good thing....talking about it always helps. Happy
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff did say that he had some good production swords. I think the perfect therapy may be a good custom piece! It's cheaper than therapy too!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought this was the therapy session Eek! .
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I'll be glad to take your $100/hr, if it'll help! Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

I'll be glad to take your $100/hr, if it'll help! Razz

Just give all your swords to me and I bet you'll be found wanting again. Razz

All your base are belong to us!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well fine jeff, when i come over next month i'll kick you in the nuts, and take all yours swords. therefore you buy all new swords! problems solved.

now that will be 3000 for the couch time, 30 tip for the secratary and 45 for the parking. Wink
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

I may be apathetic about new additions at the moment, but come for my toys, and you better come looking for a fight! Mad

Good point, though... I do appreciate the ones I have... not losing interest, just have what I want right now... at least in the realm of Medieval swords. I've always got an iron or two in the fire... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

I may be apathetic about new additions at the moment, but come for my toys, and you better come looking for a fight! Mad

Good point, though... I do appreciate the ones I have... not losing interest, just have what I want right now... at least in the realm of Medieval swords. I've always got an iron or two in the fire... Wink

Okay, I'm not picky. I'll just settle for the Svante. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY want.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: