Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seen Serenity? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Seen Serenity?         Reply with quote

Anyone else seen Serenity this weekend?

There is a character called "The Operative" (who is one of the best "bad guys" I have seen in a long time, BTW) who uses a short Asian (Chinese/Japanese) looking sword. I was wondering if it is based on anything close to historic.

By the way - that was a really fun movie - lots of action and smart writing.

Gordon
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just saw it: I really liked it! I'd recently rented the series Firefly a couple months ago, and I think they did a great job staying true to the original series without baffling people who'd never seen it before.

The sword looks like one of those "tactical" katana styled blades that United Cutlery and a few other makers have done, i.e. a single edged blade with a nylon wrap around the tang and a kydex back scabbard. I don't recall ever seeing anything historical like that aside from machetes.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Enjoyed the movie also but to get all the in jokes and to get the full emotional impact it helps a lot to be familiar with the series. Since I bought the series and watched all the episodes it hard for me to evaluate how I would have responded to the story if the characters were not already familiar to me: I think I would have liked it.

If you liked the movie go buy or rent the series. Razz Laughing Out Loud

The Buffy and Angel series seem to use a lot of the lower end United Cutlery swords and some MRL stuff.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...The Buffy and Angel series seem to use a lot of the lower end United Cutlery swords and some MRL stuff.

At some point in time, Angel was armed with a DelTin 2140.
(here is the reference from Albion's Filmswords site:
"This sword starred in:
Angel
Angel Episode: Redefinition et al
Original Air Date:16 January 2001"
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saw it twice: Went to see Serenity a second time with friends and enjoyed it almost more on it's own merits than the first time I saw it: The first time I was focused more on the way the film rapped up loose ends that were left over from the series and the second time I could just concentrate on the plot as if it was any other film and it really stands up on it's own.

Hope it makes enough money to justify in the minds of the " SUITS " making more films or resurrecting the series or a few made for T.V. movies.

I guess a series would be the best for the fans: More content, more often than a film every two years.

Don't know what would be best for the actors careers: Movies or a new series ?

At least this movie answered most questions left hanging.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Saw it twice: Went to see Serenity a second time with friends and enjoyed it almost more on it's own merits than the first time I saw it: The first time I was focused more on the way the film rapped up loose ends that were left over from the series and the second time I could just concentrate on the plot as if it was any other film and it really stands up on it's own.

Hope it makes enough money to justify in the minds of the " SUITS " making more films or resurrecting the series or a few made for T.V. movies.

I guess a series would be the best for the fans: More content, more often than a film every two years.

Don't know what would be best for the actors careers: Movies or a new series ?

At least this movie answered most questions left hanging.

Hey Jean -

I think it would be difficult to get all those guys (actors) back together for a series - moving on with their careers...
For a movie all you need is a few of months of actual shooting and some part time follow up work, so if we see anything else it will probably be a film.

I wish Joss Whedon would do a medieval movie - fantasy or historical - would be fun to see.

I really can't figure out why the movie has not attracted more audience - lots of action, pretty people, decent plot, great writing, and quite funny in all the right spots. Funnier, I think than the Indiana Jones movies which are the best comparison in terms of overall feel, I think. I guess it just comes down to lack of a big star to market it from, or maybe the perception that if you did not see the series then you won't "get" the movie.

Any comments from those people in that camp?

Gordon
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
... or maybe the perception that if you did not see the series then you won't "get" the movie.

Any comments from those people in that camp?

I haven't seen the series... don't know squat about the whole deal. IF I find myself with some free time when I make it back in in a week or so, I may check it out. It did look interesting from the trailers (and I have a cute friend who wants to see it, so...). What's holding me back from going is the following 3-part cocktail - 1) I'm too tall to fit comfortably in most theaters - but the one in town isn't too bad... 2) People in theaters suck... much prefer my own "home theater"... 3) It's expensive, both on a finance and a time deal - more personal expense than I feel most movies are worth.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There won't be a TV series, Fox has seen to that. Killed any hope of more Firefly on TV good and thorough. All we can really expect are more movies (at least two sequels should be forthcoming if the first one makes any profit) and potentially direct-to-DVD episodes (nothing official has been said, but since Fox owns the TV rights and is unlikely to let them go, that's really the only possible avenue besides feature films).
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
2) People in theaters suck... much prefer my own "home theater"...

To quote Book in the episode Our Mrs. Reynolds of the Firefly TV series, "You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters... and people who talk at the theater."

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Josh Hibbs

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Ninja         Reply with quote

I thought the sword closly resmbled the strait bladed, one edged katana that a Japanese ninja would carry into a mission, But thats just my opinion i could be very wrong
"We men are retched things"
~ Achilles
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
There won't be a TV series, Fox has seen to that. Killed any hope of more Firefly on TV good and thorough.

I heard about this. If I remember correctly, there were still 3 more episodes to be aired before Fox pulled the plug. Why? Poor ratings? Not enough interest? I recently broke down and bought the Firefly DVD series; I'm not a sci-fi person but I'm really enjoying it so far.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fox and the Sci-Fi channel seem to have a habit of cancelling series out of hand for pretty foggy reasons. They've done it with Firefly, Farscape, and a few others inspite of their popularity. At the same time they really latch onto far less interesting efforts like Stargate: Atlantis and Andromeda. Since the new Battlestar Galactica is both interesting and original (considering it's a retread) I'm waiting for it to get the axe.

I'm planning on catching Serenity soon. I appreciate Joss Whedon's sense of dry cutting humor that manages to avoid catering to the lowest common denominator.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw it sunday. Go-ing in w/o fore knowlege, I spotted sci-fi chanel ilk asap. What the heck happened to our sci fi/ fantasy genre's? I remember good films. Dirty realism and fresh blood. Now everyone seems to shop at Xena-mart, prefer hand to hand over using the blaster their holding, and have a 9 dan in every martial art...

It was cute and I enjoyed it, but could have been a tv special, as have been many a film of late.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
There won't be a TV series, Fox has seen to that. Killed any hope of more Firefly on TV good and thorough.

I heard about this. If I remember correctly, there were still 3 more episodes to be aired before Fox pulled the plug. Why? Poor ratings? Not enough interest? I recently broke down and bought the Firefly DVD series; I'm not a sci-fi person but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Put brief, Fox are a bunch of clueless asshats.

Or, in more detail, there was a change of management and the new guys basically shot down everything the old guys had gotten started, half out of sheer spite and half to make themselves look better in comparison. They deliberately screwed up promotion, demanded a new pilot be made to replace the original two-parter right as the show was to go on air, placed it in the worst possible time slot, released it at the worst possible moment (what completely unknown TV show could possibly compete against American football?), timed it to be on at the same time as its biggest already established competitors right from the start, aired the episodes out of order, and so on - did everything they could to make sure it would falter and snatched it off the air before it had a chance to gain reputation by word-of-mouth.

...why yes, I do hate Fox, why do you ask? Big Grin

Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'm planning on catching Serenity soon. I appreciate Joss Whedon's sense of dry cutting humor that manages to avoid catering to the lowest common denominator.

I'm actually not a huge Whedon fan, as such. I mean, Buffy and Angel are good shows, very well-written and all, I'll admit, but not really to my taste. (It's all the copycat teen superhero/supernatural stuff lately on TV - Smallville, Dark Angel, Birds of Prey, etc. etc... I just get sick of it, y'know?) I just never got into them much.

But Firefly... I dunno. It just struck right home for me. Reached out and grabbed my heartstrings right from the theme song (can't seem to hear it without getting something in my eye). The final straw that ultimately sealed my fate was the end of Train Job, the replacement pilot:

"Damn."
*BOOT*

If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. If not, you don't want it spoiled. Let's just say, by the end of the first aired episode I was gone and done for. Love forever.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me

Take me out to the black
Tell 'em I ain't coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity

But you can't take the sky from me...

*sniff*

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Due to being in Japan at the time, I didn’t see Firefly until it was long dead as a show and out on DVD. Overall I thought it had the potential to be one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. I liked Farscape as well, which appears to have been cancelled due to some political subtext in a few of the later episodes. It’s very sad, because there’s a dearth of good sci-fi these days.

One other thing that Fox did was to air the Firefly episodes out of sequence so that nobody had a clue what was going on. TV networks have yet to catch on to shows that have well-defined story arcs. They much prefer the episodic shows that feature a self-contained “adventure of the week”, both because they have a very low and insulting opinion of our attention span and because it’s harder for an arc-heavy show to attract new viewers once it gets going. I’ll sum that up be agreeing with the clueless asshat comment.

But, hey. A TV network canceled Star Trek once upon a time, but like Obi Wan, it only became more powerful than they could possibly imagine. Big Grin I for one would have liked to see them make another go at a series. There isn’t anything you can cover in a movie that you can’t knock out in two or three episodes, story-wise. But then, TV networks are stupid like that.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Reached out and grabbed my heartstrings right from the theme song (can't seem to hear it without getting something in my eye)

Speaking of that, my wife saw it on opening night with some friends (I was underway, sadly). It was a good crowd and several people were in costume. At the end of the credits, the original theme song is strummed slowly on a solitary guitar. When that happened, the entire theatre started to sing under their breath. Imagining two hundred or so people quietly singing "...you can't take the sky from me..." made something get in my eye, too. Damn wind. Big Grin

Heh. God bless sci-fi geeks. We make such great fans.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Loved this show. Really fits into a kind of "feel" of a story a few friends of mine and I tried to write, eerily similar.

The best thing was that I got the wife hooked on it, she likes it maybe even more than I do, a very rare bonus!

I was disappointed they did not use the original theme with words anywhere in the movie...was it too "country"?
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Reached out and grabbed my heartstrings right from the theme song (can't seem to hear it without getting something in my eye)

Speaking of that, my wife saw it on opening night with some friends (I was underway, sadly). It was a good crowd and several people were in costume. At the end of the credits, the original theme song is strummed slowly on a solitary guitar. When that happened, the entire theatre started to sing under their breath. Imagining two hundred or so people quietly singing "...you can't take the sky from me..." made something get in my eye, too. Damn wind. Big Grin

Heh. God bless sci-fi geeks. We make such great fans.

I will say this, though: there's no catch phrase in the history of fandom I'd be more proud to cite, and many a generation will envy us for it. As quotes go, I rank it right up there with "Morituri te salutant" and "Molon labe!"

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really liking the DVD series so far. Even in the 26th century, they still have duels of honor with rapiers! God, I love it! Laughing Out Loud Thanks, Mikko, for those lyrics. That's a great song. Oh, BTW, is that song in the movie?
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seen Serenity?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: