James Williams and the Knight
Had to give you guys a preview of these -- James Williams (of Bugei) liked the NextGen Knight when he saw it at Atlanta last year. We sent him one and he sent us some video of him cutting with it.

If you have ever doubted what a single-hand Medieval sword could do, just watch it perform in the hands of an experienced swordsman...

http://www.albion-swords.com/cutting-knight.htm

Best,

Howy
Something appears to be wrong with the "Rapid Cut" video.

Either that or it's been cut together from multiple cuts.
Thanks, Howy!

It was neat to meet James in Atlanta, and to watch him as he worked his way through the pieces at the booth, taking a few to an open area and putting them through their paces.

The Knight is my favorite of my single handers... doesn't surprise me in the least that he picked this one over all the others, nor does it shock me to see what it is capable of. It's always a treat to see stuff like this, though!
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thanks, Howy!

It was neat to meet James in Atlanta, and to watch him as he worked his way through the pieces at the booth, taking a few to an open area and putting them through their paces.

The Knight is my favorite of my single handers... doesn't surprise me in the least that he picked this one over all the others, nor does it shock me to see what it is capable of. It's always a treat to see stuff like this, though!

The Knight is definatly a great sword. These videos show me two things: 1.) I really, really suck at cutting. 2.) I really need to take some Scotchbrite to my Knight, and get it cleaned a bit.

Seriously though, James almost makes it seem effortless. It really shows that he's been studying the sword for a long time.
Wow! :eek: That was really impressive! Most of us can only hope to obtain that level of cutting skill. Thanks to Albion for making it available.
Thomas Jason wrote:
Something appears to be wrong with the "Rapid Cut" video.

After seeing his speed in first few vids and then the impossibly fast speed in the rapid upward cuts vid I was beginning to think he was Neo! :)
Re: James Williams and the Knight
Howard Waddell wrote:
Had to give you guys a preview of these -- James Williams (of Bugei) liked the NextGen Knight when he saw it at Atlanta last year. We sent him one and he sent us some video of him cutting with it.

If you have ever doubted what a single-hand Medieval sword could do, just watch it perform in the hands of an experienced swordsman...

Best,

Howy

What exactly is his test cutting target in the video?
Craig Peters wrote:
What exactly is his test cutting target in the video?

Tatami
Very impressive...and even more impressive when you get to see him do this kind of stuff live.
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Wow! :eek: That was really impressive! Most of us can only hope to obtain that level of cutting skill. Thanks to Albion for making it available.

Mats are not that difficult to cut in all honesty. What's really cool is how smooth he makes it look :D
Really nice videos to see and hear :eek: that blade sings :cool:
looks like he have practise the most stuff, even Systema :eek: :cool:
first one i have reading do that outside Russia.

I hope i never will try to cut like that, as a beginner i will not live long time. :D
Really nice videos. Something that makes me want to buy some pool noodles again... :)

I do agree with Thomas, though, there's one video in which they'd either stapled old cut tatami bits again, or did some "creative cutting" with the movie, too... ;)
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

The only thing that I could think for a minute after seeing that the first time was "YEEEEK!" It is even more impressive the more times I see those videos.

Alex
Micha Hofmann wrote:
Really nice videos. Something that makes me want to buy some pool noodles again... :)

I do agree with Thomas, though, there's one video in which they'd either stapled old cut tatami bits again, or did some "creative cutting" with the movie, too... ;)

The video "rapid upward cuts" looks like it dropped a few frames somewhere in editing/encoding.

Regardless, I've seen James do that multiple times in live demonstrations. One handed with wakizashi, two handed with katana. When we were being filmed for a video on Howard Clark I was the one who put a rolled mat on the stand so he could do that cut for the cameras. And he did it a couple times for the video crew. It's a favorite sort of "show off" series of his.

No faking. It's all about having cut roughly a bazillion targets over the years. You get good at things like entry angle.
I very mutch enjoyed watching the vids. Always great to see someone who can handle a sword at work.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: