Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Agony Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Agony         Reply with quote

I ordered a NG Knight 39 days 5hrs and ten minutes ago, give or take. Its my first high end sword (ok high end for a poor workin stiff like me). My wife is taunting me because every five minutes I hear a phantom UPS truck pull up in front of the house, and I leap to the window, only to return to the "kind of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.... " Am I obsessing here or is this normal? How do people stand waiting years for a custom sword? What is the capital of Assyria? Laughing Out Loud Confused Cry
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you're obsessing quite normally.

As for how to deal with the anticipation, I just got used to it and don't think/worry about it because it goes with this hobby.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whenever you get stressed waiting for your sword to show up just think about this: I am currently two years into a four year wait for a custom sword. That ought to put things into perspective for you. Happy
Constant and true.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin;

The worse is when the UPS tracking is telling you that your package is out for delivery at 9:00 in the morning and it's 8:00 p.m. and it's still isn't here ! Well it did show up the next day an hour after I called UPS and politely asked what was up !

That was the second time in a month that they did this TO ME. WTF?!

Oh, months away from delivery I just don't obsess about it, but a few days out I'm climbing the walls. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin, is that sword backordered? It's advertised as "In Stock - 2-3 delivery." Of course, the last three swords I've ordered from Albion have said that and all have been backordered/out of stock/waiting on parts from the foundry....

I get antsy too when waiting for things, especially when they stretch on past the original quote. I can wait two months if that's what I'm told up front, of course, but two months is unacceptable if the original quoted deadline is any less than two months. I'm willing to cut people slack about deadlines if they reset deadlines before they expire and do so for good reasons. Communicating, being proactive, and setting realistic expectations to start with goes a long way with me.

But that's just me. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man I used to stare at the tracking page at ups all day! But then I got tierd of delay's and wasting a day waiting for "the hour at hand". I see it as a surprise now. I order things, and forget all about it. Then things show up and I am pleasently surprised. Big Grin

Its like X-Mas!

Edit: Oh, and congrats!

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Very valid question with a fairly simple answer: since May we have lost 5 staff people, all in production, for various reasons. We have hired 2 new folks - one has started and another will start in about a week and a half. As a result, people like Eric (responsible for R&D for Albion swords) has been working in production for the last several weeks to help keep swords being built, Jason has been both grinding and assembling swords, and other folks have had to jump in to other jobs.

On the good side, this "retooling" has given us an opportunity to take a fesh look at how we do things. Carl, for example, who joined us in July to work in cutlering, is now using his past experience to make our waxes and molds better.

On the bad side, it has caused our schedule to slip badly -- but we are recovering. Several new models will be introduced over the next few weeks as the first castings for those models come back from the foundry, such that I hope by the end of the year that we will be back on track to release one or two new models a month on a regular basis.

That's from Peter Johnsson on another thread - I think I'll just have to wait patiently. Is that a truck outside? Nah......

not to wander off topic, but a good friend of mine (and a knight in the SCA) was just married yesterday. I was thinking of that Albion-wedding-sword -pic contest and graoning the whole time. If had only come sooner...... ARGHHH Evil
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin,

I definitely know the feeling. By the time my Albion Fiore gets here, I would've waited almost a year! Then again, this was expected from the start. Mike's an honest guy; he'll tell you if it'll be a week or a year. The advantage of a lengthy wait is that you'll likely have time to save up the remaining balance. Idea

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Agony         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
What is the capital of Assyria? Laughing Out Loud Confused Cry

Ashur.

And yeah, I feel for ya. Always hated the wait. Feels a lot like waiting for Santa Claus as a kid, doesn't it? Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You think that's bad?

I live in the Netherlands. Every time a sword from the US gets shipped USPS to me, it's in the Netherlands within two days, but I still have to wait 3-5 weeks!!! Why?? Because Dutch customs is very, very, very, very, very, VERY slooooooooooow.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Very valid question with a fairly simple answer: since May we have lost 5 staff people, all in production, for various reasons. We have hired 2 new folks - one has started and another will start in about a week and a half. As a result, people like Eric (responsible for R&D for Albion swords) has been working in production for the last several weeks to help keep swords being built, Jason has been both grinding and assembling swords, and other folks have had to jump in to other jobs.

Well, all the delayed Albion swords I've experienced, including three over the last 5 or 6 months, were a result of not having the necessary components, not being short on manpower. The Mercenary and Sempach needed hilt components from the foundry. The Regent needed the right thickness of steel stock.

With parts and manpower shortages, I'm surprised they've kept "2-3 week delivery" status on their website for most models.

Happy

ChadA

Charles Adams

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gavin, I also ordered a Knight from Albion. I placed my order I think somewhere around early-mid august, and I have just been told it was recieved by Christian Fletcher who is making a scabbard for it. When I ordered, Mike was telling me that the Knight has been a busy sword for them lately. But judging from my order you shouldn't have to wait too much longer.
Hope you get it soon!
Charles
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the actual capitol was Nineveh. The Assyrians derive their name of the city of Ashur.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I stand corrected, Ashur at various times was the capitol(politically) and was the center or capitol for religious reasons at all times for Assyria. Nineveh was capitol from 705 - 612 BC.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look - truthfully it doesnt matter what the capital of Assyria was. You're supposed to say you don't know so I can cast you into the gorge of eternal peril.

On the topic of scabbards, I know I need one, but money is always an issue, so I was thinking Tritonworks. Here's my question: do I absolutely have to send in my sword for him to make a scabbard? I'm guessing its a yes, so he can fit it like a glove, right?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
On the topic of scabbards, I know I need one, but money is always an issue, so I was thinking Tritonworks. Here's my question: do I absolutely have to send in my sword for him to make a scabbard? I'm guessing its a yes, so he can fit it like a glove, right?

Most scabbard makers require the sword, unless they have one of the same model on hand. Even then, they may want to fit it to an individual blade. It's pretty standard, though it's not fun when you've already waited a while for the sword. My advice would be to have Albion send it directly to the scabbard maker first. It's harder to send it away once it's in your hand. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion campaign scabbard, or historical, and much more waiting is probably the only way to keep the sword you will have and get a scabbard for it. Unless of course you buy a same of the same model and send that instead. Big Grin Wink
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patience.

I commissioned a custom weapon 26 months ago (give or take a month) and it is just nearing completion now.

[EDIT for temporal correctness]

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".

Last edited by Shawn Mulock on Fri 30 Sep, 2005 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Gavin,
Listen to Shawn. As swell as it would be, swords and cool scabbards are rarely complete at the same
time. I'm waiting for a couple, getting on the two yearish time frame. Having said that, I HAVE two
custom scabbards from Albion, and they are so nice that I will wait the wait. Hey, I can still play with the
swords in the meantime!!!

Best,
Doug Gentner

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Agony
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic