Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wow!!! Did you see the new MRL Stuff?!? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Wow!!! Did you see the new MRL Stuff?!?         Reply with quote

WOW! MRL has just put out a whole bunch of actually good looking period stuff!!! Go to their site and find the last page of each catagory. They've got some new nice looking swords,daggers, and some awesome looking helmets, including a Great Bascinet.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "SWORD OF NOAVARA" looks pretty interesting. I like the details of the grip and etching on the blade. These are very nice details.

I've not received my copy of the catalog yet. Does it list any stats, such as weight?

Museum Replicas wrote:

SWORD OF NOAVARA

During the French Wars in Italy the army of Louis XII was driven out of Milan by the League of Cambral. This alliance consisted of Spain, Naples, the Holy Roman Empire, the Papacy, the Swiss Cantons, England, and several Italian city-states. In 1513, the French army of 10,000 under Louis de LaTremoille still held Novara, 28 miles west of Milan, and the league forces moved against this position. The Swiss army of some 13,000 attacked the French camp, catching the defenders by surprise. A deadly battle ensued with the Swiss pikemen gaining the upper hand, but at heavy loss to their ranks. La Tremoille suffered 50% casualties and hundreds of German mercenaries fighting for the French surrendered only to be executed by the vengeful Swiss. The loss at Novara forced Louis XII to withdraw from Italy. We have named this Italian war sword for this battle as it is of a type that would be in use by members of the league. The hilt is beautifully designed - the guard (with double rings) and the pommel, both with floral detail, have a rich patina finish. Grip has attractive raised ridges for a firm hold and is covered in leather. The well tempered high carbon steel blade has a long ricasso, three fullers and has decorative etching.

Attachment: 16.12 KB
NOAVARA01.jpg
MRL SWORD OF NOAVARA

Attachment: 13.09 KB
NOAVARA02.jpg
MRL SWORD OF NOAVARA

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like for some of the new items, MRL is still entering information. But I LOVE the new great bascinet helm and the Sword of Auray. It looks amazing. I must say though....MRL's scabbards seem kind of un-period, but I love the fact that most MRL swords do come with one.

Attachment: 33.04 KB
Bascinet.jpg
Great Bascinet

Attachment: 25.87 KB
Auray.jpg
Sword of Auray

Attachment: 33.88 KB
Transitional helm.jpg
Transitional Helm
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword of Novara has a listed weight of 5 pounds.

The Great Bascinet looks interesting, too bad it's made from 19 gauge steel.

I don't care for the transitional helm. It's proportions are far too large and ungainly compared to higher quality replicas of the type.

I do like this Cinquedea.

The Sword of Auray looks promising. A&A used to make a sword based on that same design. I always liked that one but could never afford it at the time.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The sword of Novara has a listed weight of 5 pounds.

WTF?! Oh. That's too bad. Eek!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

It is a shame since the design is attractive. I still think this is one of MRLs most attractive swords in quite some time.

J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might the five pounds be the shipping weight? I like the Auray, and the Venetian sword. That cinqueda is nice too.
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of new helmets too.

This one is taken directly from the new HBO series Rome

Here's a new viking fantasy helmet.

While it has no basis in history,and is made from 19 gauge steel, it is kind of neat. This one would make a nice piece of costume kit for a LoTR Rohirim persona.

James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

It is a shame since the design is attractive. I still think this is one of MRLs most attractive swords in quite some time.

Reminds me of Peter J's new line of cocktale drink swords.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

I agree with you on that Italian cut & thrust: beautiful. I like the Cinquedea too. I remember them having an older version, but I don't think it had the multiple short fullers. Happy
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know its a fantasy piece, but I am really digging this mace... I may have to break down and get it...
It seems to be in a set that it trying to be sauron-ish there is a big sword, the mace, and the knife... all remind me of the LOTR theme... but I'd take the mace anyways Big Grin

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Their Viking Halberd is kind of interesting:

While they do not say it, I assume that this supposed to be an aetgir. I have always encountered the aetgir under lists of viking spears, so I think I probably would have done more of a hybrid between what they show and a glaive. At the very least, I would have left less space between the back of the blade and the shaft. In their defense, they do point out that there is very limited info on these weapons.

Still, I think they have the right general idea when it comes to bladee shape, and it is nice to see somebody trying to recreate some of the more obscure and interesting weapons from history.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I still think this is one of MRLs most attractive swords in quite some time.

I agree! I would definitely buy it if I wasn't left-hand with the hilt and all... That's the trouble with rapiers and such- usually made for right-handers.... Sad

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They've also brought back the "Historical Excalibur." Historical, my butt....

And one with a similar pommel to the DT Catalonian:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
I know its a fantasy piece, but I am really digging this mace... I may have to break down and get it...
It seems to be in a set that it trying to be sauron-ish there is a big sword, the mace, and the knife... all remind me of the LOTR theme... but I'd take the mace anyways Big Grin

That mace is pretty nice looking. The dagger isn't bad either.

Chad, that Excalibur may be about as historical as the Kurgan's sword from Highlander, but the hilt is kinda nice looking, or at least the cross, and pommel are.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I rather like their Late 14th Century War Axe. How does MRL do with replica axes? Do they tend to make the edge and the axe head too thick?

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes. I got their Viking bearded axe for Christmas one year and the head is almost like a splitting maul. I don't know, perhaps the Vikings liked them that way, but I tend to doubt it. It looks much heavier than pictures of museum pieces I've seen. However, I've heard that they've made huge leaps forward in the quality department, and the picture of your axe looks worlds lighter, so treat this as old intel.

I like the looks of many of their new items. I've owned a few MRL pieces, and while one or two of them were well worth the money, on the whole I was disappointed in their quality. Hopefully they've gotten better about that.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that viking halberd looks like a pretty darn liberal interpretation of an aetgir. MRL makes good product for their price bracket, but I think they've got a leak in the fantasy bucket, and its draining into the historical bucket Wink
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
that viking halberd looks like a pretty darn liberal interpretation of an aetgir. MRL makes good product for their price bracket, but I think they've got a leak in the fantasy bucket, and its draining into the historical bucket Wink

That's a very good way of putting it.

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
A couple of new helmets too.

While it has no basis in history,and is made from 19 gauge steel, it is kind of neat. This one would make a nice piece of costume kit for a LoTR Rohirim persona.

Considering the amount of dosh they've spent on that series "Rome", i'm rather disappointed they didn't do more research on Roman arms and Armour. That helmet looks like it came straight out of a 19th century book on the Romans. In fact it probably did. With so many Roman re-enactment groups around, you would have though they could have asked for some advice. Oh well, that's Hollywood for you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wow!!! Did you see the new MRL Stuff?!?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: