Must have book?
I am a recent addition to the world of sword enthusiasts. Although I have had an interest in swords for a couple of years , I have only recently come to realize how much there really is to learn about them. My interest centered around glancing at ebay and cheap wall hanger websites for the past couple years, before I finally stumbled across this website earlier in the summer. Since that point I've been hooked... I mean seriously hooked ;)

I'm not exactly rolling in cash at the moment, so my first Albion (can you say Thegn?) is still a ways a way; however, I am in the market for some literature. If you could recommend one book for the new enthusiast what would it be? My major area of interest is in type X-XII blades, but I am also interested in a broader scope of learning.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Kenton
Welcome to myArmoury, Kenton :)

As you are new to this site, might I refer you to the Books link at the top of the page to answer your questions about literature. There are links there both of recommended reading lists and avenues by which to acquire the books described. May I also suggest the Features link above to give you something to digest while waiting for your soon-to-be book orders.

Enjoy!
Welcome Kenton!

Since the Thegn will be your first sword I would recommend The Sword In Anglo-Saxon England by Hilda Ellis Davidson, and Swords of the Viking Age by Ian Peirce. Both books are very informative and must-haves for any student of the sword.
Greetings Kenton Spaulding, I wholeheartedly second Patrick Kelly's reccomendation. I have both of these. Considering your interest in Albion's Thegn, they are a wonderful place to start. Be warned though. Both, especially Peirce's SVA can lead to serious "desires" for future collecting goals. ;) Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
The link labeled books? Now why didn't I think of that :lol: And to think, I thought I had explored this site thoroughly. Thanks for the quick responses. I will certainly take advantage of the book list.

Kenton
You would think that I would have Ms Davidson's book considering that whole "Ellis" connection but I don't. Can one of you gentlemen perhaps give a brief overview? Or maybe point me towards one if such a thing already exists someplace? It's one of those ones I've been meaning to get for years now but it just never really happened. Does it have a lot of pictures? A lot of text? Quality research? Measurements? Statistics?
Russ Ellis wrote:
You would think that I would have Ms Davidson's book considering that whole "Ellis" connection but I don't. Can one of you gentlemen perhaps give a brief overview? Or maybe point me towards one if such a thing already exists someplace? It's one of those ones I've been meaning to get for years now but it just never really happened. Does it have a lot of pictures? A lot of text? Quality research? Measurements? Statistics?

http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0851153550
Russ Ellis wrote:

It has quite a bit of all of the above. The books deals with transition age swords and early viking stuff. There are only few photographs and mostly line drawings by E. Oakeshott. The first part of the book is the most interesting and pertinent to the discussions we have here and has much (too much) detailed info nicely organized by topics (hilt, blade, scabbard, decoration...etc). If I remember correctly there was not a whole lot of dry measurements as weight or length but that is not to say that there is not any. I will not buy this book for dry stats or many nice pictures, but rather for the information that takes you beyond that.

The second part of the book deals with the literary descriptions of the sword form the period. It is fascinating as this reveals to some extent the perception of the sword by the people at the time. Besides Beowlf and other sagas, the book touches on riddles and roman chronicler's accounts and such.

The last part delves into the use of the sword and is by far the shortest.

I liked the book and it helped me appreciate the transitional swords for the first time. I highly recommend it but keep in mind that this book is not in the format of Ian Pierce's "Swords of the viking age" or E. Oakeshott's "Records of the medieval sword". The text needs to be read to figure out what figure is what and why the authors chose tho show this sword, etc, etc.

I hope this helps

Alexi
Alexi Goranov wrote:

It has quite a bit of all of the above. The books deals with transition age swords and early viking stuff. There are only few photographs and mostly line drawings by E. Oakeshott. The first part of the book is the most interesting and pertinent to the discussions we have here and has much (too much) detailed info nicely organized by topics (hilt, blade, scabbard, decoration...etc). If I remember correctly there was not a whole lot of dry measurements as weight or length but that is not to say that there is not any. I will not buy this book for dry stats or many nice pictures, but rather for the information that takes you beyond that.

The second part of the book deals with the literary descriptions of the sword form the period. It is fascinating as this reveals to some extent the perception of the sword by the people at the time. Besides Beowlf and other sagas, the book touches on riddles and roman chronicler's accounts and such.

The last part delves into the use of the sword and is by far the shortest.

I liked the book and it helped me appreciate the transitional swords for the first time. I highly recommend it but keep in mind that this book is not in the format of Ian Pierce's "Swords of the viking age" or E. Oakeshott's "Records of the medieval sword". The text needs to be read to figure out what figure is what and why the authors chose tho show this sword, etc, etc.

I hope this helps

Alexi

Excellent. Thanks Alexi. It sounds like just the sort of book I'm looking for. I often think that many of these books need to have MUCH more text and descriptions of the overall context of the sword.
Hey Kenton,

I echo everyone else who recommends Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword, but I also believe you would benefit from the wealth of history and info one of Mr. Oakeshott's earlier works, The Archeology of Weapons.

Ted
Edward Hitchens wrote:
Hey Kenton,

I echo everyone else who recommends Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword, but I also believe you would benefit from the wealth of history and info one of Mr. Oakeshott's earlier works, The Archeology of Weapons.

Ted

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I have long been one of the few voices that recommends AoW over Oakeshotts other books. Everyone recommends Records because of the big neat photos. AoW is perhaps Oakeshotts most important book because therein he lays out and explains his typology and the reasons behind it. If you don't read The Archeology of Weapons you can't gain a full understanding of Oakeshotts work.
Exactly!!!

Archaeology of Weapons is the primer to understanding the whole system, without it you may have a good grasp of the system from Records but it isn't the same. All of Oakeshotts' books are much clearer after you understand the thought processes that gave us this system. It is not perfect, but nothing that humans have ever come up with can be neatly categorized and this is by far the best system to date.
I'm glad I'm not alone in my view of Archeology... :)

What about another one of his: Sword in the Age of Chivalry. I have not yet had the privilege of reading (or even finding) this one. Is 'Chivalry' as comprehensive as 'Archeology?' How is it different?
I agree with Patrick about " The Archeology of Weapons " being the most useful and complete.

I also like his " European Weapons and Armour " for late medieval and renaissance: Although this one doesn't help in understanding his typology of swords.
Edward Hitchens wrote:
I'm glad I'm not alone in my view of Archeology... :)

What about another one of his: Sword in the Age of Chivalry. I have not yet had the privilege of reading (or even finding) this one. Is 'Chivalry' as comprehensive as 'Archeology?' How is it different?

This once focuses on the sword and discusses ONLY the swords. ~80% of the information is also in the AoW. I have to say that Swords in the Age of chivalry is a better, more comprehensive, and detailed (in my opinion) with respect to the medieval sword and the sword typology. That being said, AoW is broader and includes a lot of the information in "Chivalry" plus discussion of migration period weapons, armour, daggers, and much historical context of the evolution of the sword.

I think the AoW is the first book one needs to read for the broadest perspective of the field. Then one can fully appreciate "Chivalry" and "Records" .

Alexi
Dont forget about the foreign language print books like Armi Bianche Italiane!!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: