Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 1: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
72%
 72%  [ 37 ]
Very Good
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Aug 1: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

myArmoury.com Bookstore

An All-New Section

Our Reference Library: The Bibliography

An article by Nathan Robinson

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bookstore and reference library are great new features!
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes myArmoury such a valuable and high-quality resource. The web needs more sites like this. My highest praise Exclamation Exclamation
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again... "You da Man"

This is a great addition as well as a way to fund more cool stuff.

Gary
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just noticed some cool things. Profile pages now have info on members' reading lists. Mine shows my list and links to it.

In threads, underneath the location and join date, there is info and a link to a poster's reading list.

Just the kind of cool cross-referencing, tie-it-all-together stuff I've come to expect from Nathan. Happy

Cool, cutting-edge stuff.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet updates!! I always love reading the spotlights and reviews, but the book-updates have been awesome, and have really helped me with a purchase or two.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an absolutely fantastic addition to this site!! This will be an invaluable help to those of us who are trying to build our libraries. Thanks, Nathan.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind comments, guys. This update was a tremendous amount of work for me to create. I know the bookstore isn't the most useful thing in the world, but the backend technology that drives it is pretty cutting-edge and cool enough that I wanted to spend some time making something with it.

Since this site was launched, I've had this personal crusade to get the community to be aware of books, buy them, read them, and discuss them. The 'net is a horrible place for information on our hobby's related topics when compared to books and museums. I've always thought that we could improve the level of information available on the 'net with discussions of these other things. So this was a big part of why I spent so much time/effort developing this tool.

The upkeep costs of the site continue to grow and I also want to find ways of trying to augment them without begging for money from everybody. So that's certainly something that fueled me as well.

I want to thank the members who've already created their own booklists. The database that's being generated with your participation is responsible for the entire value of the bookstore as a tool. At the time of this post, there are a whopping 133 Book Reviews on-line here at myArmoury. That's a great resource in itself!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
...Since this site was launched, I've had this personal crusade to get the community to be aware of books, buy them, read them, and discuss them. The 'net is a horrible place for information on our hobby's related topics when compared to books and museums. I've always thought that we could improve the level of information available on the 'net with discussions of these other things. So this was a big part of why I spent so much time/effort developing this tool.

Nathan, I hope (and believe) that this will end up being an effort well spent. In my case, I must admit that I have gained most of what I know (or think I know) by sucking from the brains of all of you folks. I just haven't gotten around to ordering more than a few key books (e.g, Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword). However, the book list and connections to on-line retailers made it very simple to just put a shortcut on my wife's desktop and call it "birthday list". Cool
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this thread is a bit of a blast from the past, but I just used the Bookstore to order three more books. It was nice being able to read comments from members here in addition to Amazon users. 33 people have taken the time to start reading lists, which is great. I can't wait for more book reviews to show up on those lists and for more lists to be created.

By the way, observant folks should have noticed that the Bookstore now shows which member lists have been updated recently. Happy

Cool features, Nathan.

Now I have to find time to read these new books....

Happy

ChadA

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
It was nice being able to read comments from members here in addition to Amazon users. 33 people have taken the time to start reading lists, which is great. I can't wait for more book reviews to show up on those lists and for more lists to be created.

Now I have to find time to read these new books....

It has grown a lot since I looked at it last... just added a few reviews to some of my listed books... read some others.

So, Chad... what'd you get? Always looking for another good book...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
So, Chad... what'd you get? Always looking for another good book...

Well, I was informed yesterday that my long-standing pre-order for a copy of Claude Blair's European Armour from ~1066 to ~1700 was finally filled. Unfortunately, the order pre-dated the affiliate stuff Nathan set up.

Today, though, I ordered these three based on info in the Bookstore section:

"Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World"
Harold L. Peterson; Paperback; $8.21

"Medieval Arms and Armor : A Pictorial Archive (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)"
J. H. Hefner-Alteneck; Paperback; $10.17

"BOWMEN OF ENGLAND (Pen & Sword Military Classics)"
Donald Featherstone; Paperback; $9.99

I really wanted just the Peterson. But if your order is over $25, you get free shipping. So to save $2-3 in shipping on the one book, I ordered an additional $21 worth of books. I'm a math whiz, all right.... Happy

Happy

ChadA

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Well, I was informed yesterday that my long-standing pre-order for a copy of Claude Blair's European Armour from ~1066 to ~1700 was finally filled. Unfortunately, the order pre-dated the affiliate stuff Nathan set up.

DEFINITELY need to know what your impression of this dude is...

Chad Arnow wrote:
"Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World"
Harold L. Peterson; Paperback; $8.21

"BOWMEN OF ENGLAND (Pen & Sword Military Classics)"
Donald Featherstone; Paperback; $9.99

These two are on my eventual list, too... probably the Bowmen of England first, though...

Chad Arnow wrote:
I really wanted just the Peterson. But if your order is over $25, you get free shipping. So to save $2-3 in shipping on the one book, I ordered an additional $21 worth of books. I'm a math whiz, all right.... Happy

Razz

I've done the same thing, bud... never with money I didn't have, but yeah, there's a piece or two, or a book or two that I can squeeze in there, yeah....

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

DEFINITELY need to know what your impression of this dude is...

I have a copy of this one. It is a bit dated in a few areas but still remains a good reference. Any well balanced A&A library should have a copy.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For anyone interested, I've rated and reviewed the Peterson book and the Hefner-Alteneck book. Neither book was too expensive (~$11 and ~$8, respectively) and both were well worth the price. You can find more info in the Bookstore on my Reading List or by clicking the Reading List link beneath my avatar on each of my posts.
Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who have made Reading Lists within our new Bookstore. We now have 201 member-submitted book reviews at the time of this post. Nice!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent update!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thanks to all of you who have made Reading Lists within our new Bookstore. We now have 201 member-submitted book reviews at the time of this post. Nice!

At the moment we have 227 book reviews and 49 Member Reading Lists. Who wants to be #50? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see I've been de-throned from having the reading list with the most number of reviews. Way to go, Patrick! 42 reviews is a lot. Happy

I still have the most books on my list, though. Who wants to buy a bunch of books through the affiliate links and take over that top spot? Happy

We now have 55 member reading lists and 275 book reviews. This fantastic resource gains even more value as reading lists grow and expand. As you can see, I'm a fan of the bookstore. Good books are cheaper than good weapons and help us appreciate our collections even more.

Happy

ChadA

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I see I've been de-throned from having the reading list with the most number of reviews. Way to go, Patrick! 42 reviews is a lot. Happy

And there are quite a number of reviews I found helpful on a number of users' lists. The effort is appreciated, believe me!

Chad Arnow wrote:
I still have the most books on my list, though. Who wants to buy a bunch of books through the affiliate links and take over that top spot? Happy

I've a wickedly long list of book wants... I need to digest a few that I do have before I acquire more, and I need to continue to update my list as well with some books I'm not familiar enough with, and post reviews once I can formulate an honest one. Rest assured, I'm not finished.

Chad Arnow wrote:
We now have 55 member reading lists and 275 book reviews. This fantastic resource gains even more value as reading lists grow and expand. As you can see, I'm a fan of the bookstore. Good books are cheaper than good weapons and help us appreciate our collections even more.

Agreed, 100%. As the bookstore continues to evolve, I find myself spending more and more time there. From the forums, I know certain interests of particular members, so it helps even more to find resource materials on particular things by going to their book lists. One example - I have really been interested in learning more about rapiers and rapier fighting lately, so I went to Bill Grandy's list. He's listed quite a few titles listed, and has great personal reviews. Now, I have some good direction, once I commit the funds. The links are right there through Amazon or Chivalry Bookshelf (I'd have to order them anyway - local bookstores have almost nothing on these subjects), a portion of the purchases will support this site, and I get a good addition to my collection and education. I, too, am a major fan of the bookstore.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 1: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: