Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to Medieval Arms Fascination and am Completely Obsessed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: New to Medieval Arms Fascination and am Completely Obsessed         Reply with quote

Hello to everyone. In the summer of 2002 I went to the Bristol Renaissance Faire with my wife at the IL/Wisc. border, walking through the faire I found myself happily absorbed in it all, I had surveyed the wares of 3 different sword dealers finding nothing but what I had seen before, ornamental junk. Then I happened upon Arms & Armor, though it would be a few years before I bought my first sword, the seed was planted, 2003 I bought the 12th Century Saxon Spear, 2004 I bought the Saxon Parrying Dagger. After mulling over several of their swords for two years if finally came down to the German Bastard Sword and the English Longsword. The German Bastard Sword won, but within a month I also had the English Longsword, in addition I also have the following from Arms & Armor: Knightly Riding Sword, Three Ring Italian Rapier, Henry V Sword, Spiked Buckler, Spiked Mace, Medici Dagger, I have the Elector of Saxony Dagger with ornate scabbard on order, should recieve very soon now, as a gift for my wife in celebration of her first grandchild.

Next year my number one priority acquisition is the Edward III Sword, I am also after the St. Maurice Sword, German Flail and the Sparth Axe.

The quality of the items I have from Arms & Armor is impeccable and I have been treated with a lot of consideration and courtesy.
Although I am sure there are other very fine sword companies out there, I have not encountered them as of yet, but I can say this, I am totally hooked on Arms & Armor products. It does not matter if I pick up the German Bastard Sword, spiked mace or the Medici dagger, I feel happiness and pleasure run bone deep. I practice with my swords everyday, although I have not as yet attended any formal training, I am a recent black belt in karate and have 2 books by Christian Tobler, the book on the Italian Rapier and a couple of other books. Combining that which I have read and my several years I spent in the martial arts I have a good start, but much to learn.
I just joined myArmoury.com last night and I do look forward to becoming aquainted with everyone. I am in this for keeps, I never understood the preoccupation of collecting before, whether it be coins, trains, etc., I now completely understand!

Sincerely,

Bob Burns
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Bob ..... you are certainly amongst the obsessed around here !

;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: An Introduction of Myself         Reply with quote

I have attached a picture of myself with my wares from Arms & Armor, everything in the picture except for the "Roman Gladius" is made by Arms & Armor. This picture is a week old.

Bob Burns
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Bob!

A&As German Bastard Sword is still one of my favorite production swords. It's a great one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, welcome to myArmoury, Bob !
That's a nice collection you've amassed so far .....
But remember Ye this ..... the A&A "obsessed" are forever seeking more :-)

Since we're meeting & greeting ....

Here's a shot of yours truly, taken a week or so ago, with my beautiful claidheamh dà làimh by Vince Evans !

Slàinte, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob -

Welcome! I also have the A&A English Longsword and their Henry V. As you know from my recent review http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_els.html, I think that the English Longsword is one of the finest all around swords in production. It does everything you could want pretty well. That German Bastard Sword is calling me as well, but I'm trying to resist. A nice collection you have built up so far!

Best,

Gordon
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to another Chicago sword collector! I am also a big fan of A&A! My Oakeshott sword is one of my favorites. Enjoy!
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bob...

Welcome to the forum... Good to have you on board!

Very nice collection you have there... and I really like how your garden art step in to help in the display.

Here is a picture of me looking like I know what I'm doing.

ks

Attachment: 85.19 KB
CuttingPic.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,

Unfortunately it appears to fall to me to tell you that you do not have enough A&A products in your collection. Tell your wife you must buy more immediately! Big Grin

Does that help the obsession any?

Regards and welcome,

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Bob. From one GBS owner to another, I hope you have a long, happy stay here. Here's a pictue of
yours truely attempting to show a milk the error of its ways.

[/img]

Attachment: 60.41 KB
Cut.JPG

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

welcome

hey gordon c. how's come we don't have picks cutting up milk jugs like these other guys do?
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
welcome

hey gordon c. how's come we don't have picks cutting up milk jugs like these other guys do?

Hmm - not sure. Guess I better get some. Happy
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Bob. I've called myself Arms and Armor's biggest fan but it sounds like you are giving me a run for my money. I highly recommend the Edward III although I just couldn't resist and had them do up a special version (steel instead of gold fittings). I've got a A&A French mace on the way from them myself (purchased second hand) as well as an Italian Bill being worked on by Craig and the boys. My first A&A purchase was the German Bastard Sword. It was also my first Western sword purchase and I've never regretted it. These days my collection consists almost entirely (with a few notable exceptions) of A&A pieces. Glad to have another person with such exquisite taste Wink about...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Nice Collection Bob         Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Bob. Aren't the folks at A&A really great people!!! I have teh 15th Cen english 2 -hander and I love it. Craig also made a custom piece for me a few years back that I am still in love with. A&A have a passion for their art and it comes through in the quality of their workmanship. I think you will find the people here very friendly and many of them extremely knowledgable. Welcome again and good luck in your studies.

Joel

Attachment: 32.55 KB
DSCN2167small.jpg

Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Bob,

Enjoy the company, we are all obsessed one way or the other here Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
I never understood the preoccupation of collecting before, whether it be coins, trains, etc., I now completely understand!

Years ago when I was still dealing in weapons, an old gentleman was talking to me and he told me that when he was a small boy his headmaster insisted that everyone collected and reasearched something, it didn't matter what it was, but they had to collect something. This was just after the first world war so there was plenty of bits around then and so his first collection was formed. I only ever saw his collection once, and it looked as if it came straight out of the Wallace Collection ! Mahogany cases and all !! Eek! That headmaster all those years ago gave him, and hopefully everybody else, a lifetimes passion.

Me ? I started collecting anything sharp when I was six years old, and I have formed and sold several collections since, swords, bayonets,Third Reich daggers, Japanese swords - which are still my main love in the sword department, though my leanings are now towards armour rather than swords, I am thinking of starting collecting again. I guess you just never lose the bug ! Thankfully Razz

Welcome to the fascinating world of arms & armour Bob.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, Bob!! Arms&Armor is definitely one of my faves. A good portion of my collection came from them: Schloss Erbach, Black Prince, and Tudor daggar. I once owned their Henry V sword. They've recently made a wonderful improvement to their website. Enjoy your collection and let us know how you like that Ed III.

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jakob Elbæk E. Pedersen

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No my precious, we are not obsessed with swords!

Not we say! Cough/gurgle

Where is our precious sword!? Where is it?!

Nasty people wish to take our precious swordseses.....!

Mine we say! Mine!

Nope, not opsessed at all, we - I mean I - have got a perfectly normal relationship to swords. Big Grin

/Jakob
-waitning for a second-hand Phoenix Metal Creations bastard sword, with italian fishtail-pommel, (http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/bastard_swords.html) to be delivered sometime today.....

Quia Possum
(Because I can)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to Medieval Arms Fascination and am Completely Obsessed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic