Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This afternoon's medieval faire. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: This afternoon's medieval faire.         Reply with quote

This morning I awoke to find that the good Lord, in his grand mercy, had blessed us with an overcast day with temperatures in the low 70's! Huzzah! Thankfully we were spared the 100+ temperatures we've been having. In short order I girded myself for battle and proceeded to the local library with my goodly squire, the stout hearted Mini-me.

Ever the good camp wife, the Lady Dorathea was not to be left at home.

There was a larger turn out than we had expected with a large number of children attending. The library had a lot of activities set up for the munchkins.

Lady Dorathea was kept busy the entire afternoon helping the children build a medieval costume.

A small performance group called Heavy Metal travelled from Wichita to entertain the kids with some "contact" sports.

These men were fun to watch and mixed a lot of humor into their act. There wasn't much in the way of historical accuracy in their gear, but they freely admitted that to anyone who asked. All in all squire mini-me and I found them to be a likeable bunch. Their swords were the practical versions of Hanwei's medieval Hand and a Half and William Marshall swords. We discussed this quite a bit and they told me that the swords are holding up well under this strenuous use. I was more than happy to let them examine my Big Johnsson, and there were quite a few gasps and awestruck looks when it was in-hand. (wash your minds out with soap, naughty, naughty)

All of the children seemed to have a great time and I was poked at and questioned quite a bit by children and parents both.
It was a pretty enjoyable afternoon.

Here's a link to more photos at higher resolution: http://www.pbase.com/khp_plk/medieval_faire&page=all

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looks like ya had a good time. thanks for the pics
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
looks like ya had a good time. thanks for the pics

Everyone seemed to have a great time. It started to rain at one point and that gave me a bit of an "uh oh", but fortunately it was only a light sprinkle for a few minutes.

Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a great time! And even the weather cooperated! After a string of 100+ temps, even 90 feels like a break. I like the matching paint job on the spear shaft, helm and shield. Good job! Cool

Thanks for the pics!

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your day with us, Patrick !
You guys looked great and it was cool to see Lady Dorathea & Mini-me joining in the educational fun with you!

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought this shield (held here by a guy named Francis) out of diamond plate was a real hoot. It gave me a chuckle. The one thing I really liked about these guys was that they were pretty honest about their lack of interest in historical authenticity. There's nothing wrong with that kind of approach when you're honest about what your doing, and don't try to sell it as something it isn't.

They told me that they used to have one that read, "The beer's this way".

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thanks for sharing your day with us, Patrick !
You guys looked great and it was cool to see Lady Dorathea & Mini-me joining in the educational fun with you!

Mac

The Lady was up all night finishing her dress for the event, and I do mean all night. She went to bed as soon as we came home! She's a trooper!

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Looks like a great time! And even the weather cooperated! After a string of 100+ temps, even 90 feels like a break. I like the matching paint job on the spear shaft, helm and shield. Good job! Cool

Thanks for the pics!

Thanks Steve! I'm pretty pleased with the way everything's turning out. A gambeson is the last major piece of kit to make.

Still a work in progress though.

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's great Patrick! All three of you look fantastic. I don't know if I ever commented on your spear before, but I love how you painted the shaft.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The one thing I really liked about these guys was that they were pretty honest about their lack of interest in historical authenticity. There's nothing wrong with that kind of approach when you're honest about what your doing, and don't try to sell it as something it isn't.

I really agree with you here. I was first drawn to swords through fantasy movies and literature as a kid, and there's nothing wrong with pursuing fantasy as a hobby. Sometimes people can be a little harsh on such groups, but so long as they aren't trying to portray themselves as something they aren't, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what they do. (After all, we historically-inclined hobbiests are pretty crazy to most of the rest of the world! Eek! Happy )
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

Whoa, WHOA: Great looking kit, nice to see that A & A danish axe in scale and that is their winged spear I think ( I have one to ) Nice shield also. The familly looks great also.

I agree with the fantasy thing being O.K. just as long as one is honest about it. I think one could do both or try to keep strait at least in ones' mind. ( Not both at the same time Eek! just alternating days. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean!

That axe came in very handy throughout the day. It gave me something to lean on. Big Grin

I did find another use for it though. When the little kids were tossing balls at the "dunk the monk" booth they were having trouble hitting the paddle. I walked over and used the butt of the axe to strike the paddle and proceeded to "dunk the monk". The "monk" that received the bath was actually my optometrist in disguise. I'm glad I just got a new set of glasses. Laughing Out Loud

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
That's great Patrick! All three of you look fantastic. I don't know if I ever commented on your spear before, but I love how you painted the shaft.

Thanks Bill!

Out of those three things the spear was the biggest pain to paint. I tried it three times before I was happy with the pattern. Mad

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more photos from the library admin............................................

Me thinks my stout hearted squire doth appear to be overworked.

The Lady Dorathea expressing her displeasure at my apparent mistreatment of the goodly Mini-me.

When the Lady says "take only one hot dog" you'd better listen!

Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your wife and son look great attired in medieval fashion.

BTW What is "Mustard Seed Faith" (located on the 4th picture)?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your wife and son look great attired in medieval fashion.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Can't tell for sure but that looks like the marquee for a church. Something to the affect if you have "you have faith as large as a mustard seed you can move mountains..."

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Thanks again,

Jeff

Can't tell for sure but that looks like the marquee for a church. Something to the affect if you have "you have faith as large as a mustard seed you can move mountains..."

Yes, it's the front of a church. I have no idea what it means. Actually, it's at the back of my brain, I just can't draw it out.

Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know if this was purposedly taken in the picture or not, but I like it. Happy Laughing Out Loud

Thanks,

Jeff Wink
Mike Pospichal

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's from Matthew 17:20a-21. ".... I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Finally, something I can help with!         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Christ refers to the mustard seed in two contexts:

1) In a parable comparing the kingdom of God to a mustard seed. "He proposed another parable to them. 'The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field. It is the smallest of all seeds, yet when fullgrown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.' " Matthew 13:31-32. See also Mark 4:31, Luke 13:19.

2) A small amount of faith can do great things. "He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. Amen, I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.' " Matthew 17:20. See also Luke 17:6.

It may be too far off-topic, but at least I was able to contribute some knowledge. Happy

--Pamela
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Hi Mike         Reply with quote

Looks like our posts crossed. I guess I wasn't quick enough with that submit button. Thank you Mike. Happy
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This afternoon's medieval faire.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: