Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kilij blade Ribbon hilt by E.B. Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Kilij blade Ribbon hilt by E.B. Erickson         Reply with quote

Kilij blade Ribbon hilt by E.B. Erickson

This past Friday I received my 7th Eljay Erickson basket-hilt, this one being our project for 2005, and the 5th annually since our chance online meeting back in 2000.
(One hilt was gifted to me by Eljay, and another I purchased at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show , so yeah, 7 pieces total !)

While visiting Scotland last summer I’d seen & photographed a most interesting sword at the Culloden Visitors Center, outside Inverness, that featured an unusual kilij blade mounted to a Scottish beaknosed ribbon hilt. These weapons were referred to as Turcael by the Scots and have been depicted in period artwork such as the famous c.1714 painting by Richard Waitt 'Alaistair Grant The Champion’, as well as sketched by the Penicuik artist during the Rising of 1745.

Still reeling from the beauty of that magnificent Silver inlayed Stirling hilt, that Eljay recently finished for me, I am once again thrilled and delighted with the addition of this excellent piece !
*As usual, I’ve added an album to my PictureTrail site at the following link:
Kilij blade Ribbon hilt by E.B. Erickson

So without further ado ..... here’s my little tank buster ;-)

Many thanks, again, to Eljay for making my baskethilt dreams come to life ... thanks E.B. !

Stats
Weight - 3 lbs. 9 1/2 oz.(1635g), Overall length - 32 3/8", Blade length - 26 3/4", Blade width - 1 1/2", Blade thickness - hair under 1/4"
(1/8" at yelman), POB - 2 7/8" out from hilt, Yelman - 9 3/8" long, 1 3/4" wide.

Hilt Stats
Basket weight - 1 lb. 8 oz.(685g), Pommel weight - 7 1/2 oz.(210g), Grip weight - 1 1/4 oz.(40g), Capstan weight - 1/4 oz.(10g), Blade weight - 1 lb. 8oz.(685g) .... Hilt complete - 2 lbs. 1 1/4 oz.(945-950g).... Pommel diameter - 1 3/4", Grip length - 3 3/4", Basket length - 4 1/4", Basket width - 3 1/4", Basket height - 5", Tang length - 5 1/2", Width - 7/8" (threaded tang & nut assembly).

Original Inspiration & Comparison

*Eljay opted to leave off the additional rear guards as he felt they may impede my wrist movement !

*Eljay is presently finishing up the scabbard for it, but was not able to get done before he had to fly back to Thailand where he teaches!

In hand

Front view ... showing its "beak"

Rear view

Next to my silver inlaid piece .....

Another shot showing the hilt in Mac’s mitt !

Continued next post :-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:38 am; edited 6 times in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more shots .....

35" Louisville Slugger

Yelman

Blade seat

With Mr. Fancy Pants .....

Componet breakdown

Tang

Pommel & capstan

* The pommel is grooved on its backside to accept the baskets guards, giving the hilt more stability.

The Original in Scotland

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm desperatly trying to come up with words to say, but I just can't find them....................... Surprised Surprised Surprised

Incredible.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on another beautiful acquisition, Mac.
I gather that Eljay made the blade, as well as the hilt? Also, am I correct in observing that the original/inspiration appears to have some ?gold? decoration (inlay/filigree/leafing/whatever) on the hilt?
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Congratulations on another beautiful acquisition, Mac.
I gather that Eljay made the blade, as well as the hilt? Also, am I correct in observing that the original/inspiration appears to have some ?gold? decoration (inlay/filigree/leafing/whatever) on the hilt?

Hi Steve

Originally Eljay was going to rework an old Tulwar blade for this piece but decided later that it would not do !
He sometimes uses a local Thai smith to forge out a blade than does all the shaping & finishing himself !
Although I'm not 100% positive I got the feeling that he did most of the work on this blade, but as to where it began I am unsure and would need to ask him ?

Here is a bit of what he wrote me back at the end of May .....

"Today I finished the rough grinding of the blade. Mounted in the hilt it feels great: quick, but with the POB out far enough that it says "Cut something!"

The original looks like it has a very narrow fuller up near the spine, and I was going to put in a fuller, but this feels so right that I don't think I will. ( Kilij blades do have a T back, and that was my original plan for this sword. But it feels so good that the only additional thing I'll do is a narrow engraved line at the spine just for decoration. )

The basket itself is a bit on the heavy side for a ribbon, but that's because I made this big enough to fit your hand nicely, and had to enlarge all hilt elements proportionally to maintain the look of the original. It's also heavier because I used heavier guage steel than the antiques. One of the problems with the originals is that the ribbons are so thin that they bend and break fairly easily- which is the type of damage I've had to repair on several originals! So yours is built to avoid dents due to accidental dropping of the sword, etc... I'm also going to leave off the narrow rear wristguards, as if I put them on, they'll bind against your wrist when you do certain movements with the sword." -- Eljay

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another beautiful piece from Mr. Erickson.

Mac, even though he made the basket a little larger, it still looks like a very close fit for your hand.

I wonder if Eljay has ever considered making Schiavona hilts? I'd love to see one of those! Big Grin
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Yet another beautiful piece from Mr. Erickson.
Mac, even though he made the basket a little larger, it still looks like a very close fit for your hand.
I wonder if Eljay has ever considered making Schiavona hilts? I'd love to see one of those! Big Grin

Hi Roger

The basket is certainly not oversized, just a little larger than some of the historical pieces of this type !
(the digital photos are a bit deceiving, sometimes making things seem smaller or bigger (or destorted) depending !

Here are a few more shots of it in hand, the first gives you a good idea that it does have some extra room in there !

* I think I'm getting to the point now that I'm far less concerned with how my mitt fits, and their usability/comfort zone, than I am with the historical accuracy of size, shape, look and feel ! (does that make sense :-)

Eljay did an incredible job with this one .... he always captures that certain something that makes them look like they were made in the day ! ( I'll just tone down the gloss a tad and let her age away ;-)

Congrats again on your new English E.B.E , Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a very unique piece Mac. It definitely adds a new element to your collection.

Neat!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Mac........

Eljay baskets are truly something special, and that is one truly unique, interesting piece......

swords are fun
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous work!
Always nice to see another peice get added to Mac collection!
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is stunningly beautiful. Fascinating too, I never realised that the Scots also used kilij blades as well as broadswords. Just out of curiosity, is the original sword your reproduction is based on, an actual Turkish kilij or Scottish copy of a kilij?

Thanks again for sharing your pictures and for filling this gap in my knowlege. Happy

I also thoroughly agree with your decision not to use a tulwar blade, the shape is quite different to a kilij.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's fantastic Mac! Eljay is a real artist. Congratulations.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:

Eljay did an incredible job with this one .... he always captures that certain something that makes them look like they were made in the day ! ( I'll just tone down the gloss a tad and let her age away ;-)

Hey Mac...

I have often thought the same thing... Eljay certainly knows how to recreate the old masters.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
That is stunningly beautiful. Fascinating too, I never realised that the Scots also used kilij blades as well as broadswords. Just out of curiosity, is the original sword your reproduction is based on, an actual Turkish kilij or Scottish copy of a kilij?
Thanks again for sharing your pictures and for filling this gap in my knowlege. Happy
I also thoroughly agree with your decision not to use a tulwar blade, the shape is quite different to a kilij.

Thanks, everyone !

Eljay certainly deserves a standing O for his wonderful work ..... the man seems to move effortlessly from type to type, and always gets the little details spot on ! A clear cut case of a guy who knows antique swords inside & out, and has the talent to recreate them ! Pretty cool !

Hisham

I do not know with any certainty that the original sports an actual Turkish made blade, but my guess would be that it does !?
Since most Scottish basket-hilts are mounted with German blades, imported from the great manafacturing centers of Solingen & Passau, I'd tend to think a local armourer got hold of one of these Turk blades and mounted it up !
It's not to say it couldn't have been made locally, or even came via a German workshop, but my mind says it would be far easier to find an existing Kilic and utilize it !

I'll be visiting Culloden again in October, with Vince & Grace, and I'll do my best to findout what the scoop is on it !

Earlier I missed answering a question from Steve !

The gold leaf on the originals hilt (& scabbard fittings) appears to be either gilt, or a paint, but again I'm not certain !
I will try to findout in the Fall !

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Utterly awesome Mac!!! A very interesting piece indeed. Eljay continue's his craft with more
and more interesting pieces all the time.

Big congrats to you (again) lad!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: * Applause Sign On *         Reply with quote

That is just wild, wild. B-)
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an awesome and astounding weapon. Very cool indeed. Love the blend of cultures. Thanks for sharing.
D B
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, Mac. A great addition to your already impressive baskethilt "museum."

I always did think you needed another curved bladed baskethilt.

With the "heavy duty" treatment of the basket, along with extra mass built in based on sheeer size to fit your hand, the hilt has some awesome potential for clubbing when things get a little "cozy."

Congratulation.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeez, Mac...I didn't have time to post my congratulations on the silver inlaid hilt before you posted this one! These two pieces are so diametrically different from each other, and yet both are beautiful in their own right, and ElJay did both swords justice!

It is interesting to note that the original makers of these swords specialized in particular hilt types. It speaks to the talent of men like ElJay who can recreate such a variety of swords from different periods, and get the look and feel so close to the originals! Simply too much for my unskilled brain to fathom.

Can't wait to see what Eljay does with the scabbard -- please do post some shots when you get it. I was extremely pleased with the attention he put into the one for my hanger.

Congratulations on two fine pieces. May they serve you well!

-- Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another impressive sword, Mac. Congrats. Are those beak nosed ribbon hilts attributed to a specific maker(s) or particular area of Scotland?
Constant and true.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kilij blade Ribbon hilt by E.B. Erickson
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: