Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... the Berserkr Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Introducing... the Berserkr         Reply with quote

All I can say (or anyone else here can say -- witness the picture of John Gage on our news page) is...

Wow.

After handling this amazing chopper, I can't believe that we are not all speaking Norwegian... It truly lives up to its name.

This sword (the prototype in the photo) will be having its "coming out party" at Aaron's Roundtable(s) this weekend (suprise,Aaron!)

More photos here:

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextge...rserkr.htm

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek!

Uh...

Eek!

Oh wow!

I really don't know what to say!

Thanks, guys! This is going to be AWESOME!

Eek!

Oh, I'm going to have to go find more noodles... already pretty much cleaned out the WalMart here...

Big Grin

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is one mean looking sword. I feel limbless just gazing at it.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow, that is just amazing. That sword just screams 'BRUTAL'!!!!!!!

Amazing work guys!!
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ÖDIIIINNNNNN!!!

Gotta find me another job. Berserkers don't need sleep anyway.
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
That is one mean looking sword. I feel limbless just gazing at it.

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Oh wow, that is just amazing. That sword just screams 'BRUTAL'!!!!!!!

Anton de Vries wrote:
ÖDIIIINNNNNN!!!

Gotta find me another job. Berserkers don't need sleep anyway.

Guys, if this thing feels even half as sweet as it looks, I'm going to lose my mind!

This thing looks just downright evil. Yeah, I think we'll get along just fine. Wink

I had been intrigued by the concept pics, even more by the waxes... in steel? Oh, hell yeah! This is going to be FUN!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very much outside the periods I'm interested in but a very impressive sword which is very tempting in it appearance
Must resist urge to order, must resist urge to order... Laughing Out Loud
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From only the sketches this one was on my want list. Seeing it done I know I was right! It's also completely unique in the production market.

Brian M
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
From only the sketches this one was on my want list. Seeing it done I know I was right! It's also completely unique in the production market.

I was a little bit concerned that it would look too similar to the Hersir from the sketches, and thought the waxes interesting, but still wondered. Seeing a finished piece, I don't think that's remotely an issue... this baby's got some personality and attitude all of it's own.

I've got a really cool opportunity coming up here... I can put the two side by side. (I know... you all wish you were me!!! Razz ) I'll try to get some good pics and share some brief impressions.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek! Laughing Out Loud
Caution
Gripping the Bersekr for extended periods can adversly affect your temper...
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's just hot! Eek! Big Grin

Any chance we'll see one at Chad's in a couple of weeks?

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking great guys!

I know that someone has had to cut with this right? Any pictures or video?

Just curious, what makes this a type I and not a type B?

Better watch it though, don't know if this one will be satisfied with only cutting pool noodles.

Shane
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dagnubbit....beautiful piece, and I am soon getting a langseax from Russel Thomas....

Seems I need to dig up some more cash. Razz

Johan Schubert Moen
William Hurst

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh!!!! Looks great, and I told myself I wouldn't be interested in this one Surprised. I love the grip on it. It practically begs to be Oxblood or light brown. I can't wait to see the Thegn!
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another awesome blade by Albion. I tend to not be impressed by nor interested in cleaver/butcher-knife style swords, but they've changed my tune to the point that I have reserved a Knecht, can't wait to see and handle that bad-boy.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Question: is the single-piece pommel construction historically accurate for the type or is it (more commonly?) associated with the two-piece pommels that some of the other NGs have. . . the Hersir comes first to mind as being not too far off the mark.

I like the contours of the grip. So, which is more comfortable - hammer grip or palming the pommel for this model?

2lbs 10oz Eek! - this thing isn't a lightweight! I guess I was thinking that with the geometry of the cross-section (a triangular wedge) it would come out with a bit less heft - a more aggressively tapering wedge relying a bit less on fullering to bring the mass down. A question for Peter - is this blade design a little on the beefy side in strict comparison to the type? I'm sure the thing moves well in hand and the added mass gives it plenty of authority in the cut, but I was wondering if more of the originals were inclined toward long drawn cutting rather than chopping, i.e. built to oppose the armorless peasantry while raiding and pillaging or more as a weapon of war? It just seems less an object to be revered by warriors in battle and more the kind of tool a man would use when the seax just wasn't quite big enough. As I am writing this, I guess that may be part of why I have a hard time bringing myself to call this thing a "sword" - it just feels to me more like a conceptual machete. Could it be used as a weapon? Yeah. Was it really meant to be one? Maybe. Does it feel like the kind of thing your everyday man on the street would pick up and use all the time while saying, "Yeah, it may not be what we'll bury with the king, but darned if it doesn't get the job done all the same." Absolutely.

In any case, a very exciting piece as it gives us all something fresh to think about. Well done!

I've got to ask because somebody's got to want to know. . . can we pick this one up as part of the NG sale?

. . . and the picture of Gage is priceless. . . looking all angry and manly and stuff. . .

[enter caption] "So help me, Mike, if you don't get back down here this minute with my lighter. . ."
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Looking great guys!

I know that someone has had to cut with this right? Any pictures or video?

Just curious, what makes this a type I and not a type B?

Better watch it though, don't know if this one will be satisfied with only cutting pool noodles.

Shane

Hey Shane!
Thanks for spotting this!

The mis-naming is an old design idea that has survived as a ghost in the text and passed on unnoticed without correction.
The Berserkr has indeed a type B hilt (one that is even possibly bordering towards a type C in that it is a single piece type construction).

Thank you for pointing it out.
I should have seen it long ago. It just stayed on.

I´ve cut with the bare prototype blade with a proper weight test pommel. It cuts with an effortless brutality, you might say.
I´m curoius to hear what others think about it. The Berserkr is different.

Big Grin Eek! Cool
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Thu 28 Jul, 2005 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Question: is the single-piece pommel construction historically accurate for the type or is it (more commonly?) associated with the two-piece pommels that some of the other NGs have. . . the Hersir comes first to mind as being not too far off the mark.

I like the contours of the grip. So, which is more comfortable - hammer grip or palming the pommel for this model?

2lbs 10oz Eek! - this thing isn't a lightweight! I guess I was thinking that with the geometry of the cross-section (a triangular wedge) it would come out with a bit less heft - a more aggressively tapering wedge relying a bit less on fullering to bring the mass down. A question for Peter - is this blade design a little on the beefy side in strict comparison to the type? I'm sure the thing moves well in hand and the added mass gives it plenty of authority in the cut, but I was wondering if more of the originals were inclined toward long drawn cutting rather than chopping, i.e. built to oppose the armorless peasantry while raiding and pillaging or more as a weapon of war? It just seems less an object to be revered by warriors in battle and more the kind of tool a man would use when the seax just wasn't quite big enough. As I am writing this, I guess that may be part of why I have a hard time bringing myself to call this thing a "sword" - it just feels to me more like a conceptual machete. Could it be used as a weapon? Yeah. Was it really meant to be one? Maybe. Does it feel like the kind of thing your everyday man on the street would pick up and use all the time while saying, "Yeah, it may not be what we'll bury with the king, but darned if it doesn't get the job done all the same." Absolutely.

In any case, a very exciting piece as it gives us all something fresh to think about. Well done!

I've got to ask because somebody's got to want to know. . . can we pick this one up as part of the NG sale?

. . . and the picture of Gage is priceless. . . looking all angry and manly and stuff. . .

[enter caption] "So help me, Mike, if you don't get back down here this minute with my lighter. . ."

Jonathon,
Thanks. I am glad to hear you like what you see :-)

Pommel type/construction:
Petersen defines the type B having two-part pommels, but I would not say the Berserkr is non-correct because of this. I might be wrong, but I honestly do not think you can apply all the aspects of any typology in all its details on every sword (this deos not mean there is a licence to do whatever you like either if you still strive for an authentic character). I´ve seen a few hundred viking swords and lost count on how many I´ve handeled. All are possible to classify according to typologies (Oakeshott´s, Petersen´s, Geibig´s etc) but every single one of them are also unique. There is variation within the types. I made the pommel single piece to keep cost down (many have asked for lower priced vikigs), but I made my very best not to compormise the mass, character, shape and porportions.
I have seen many hilts that are less than typical in one or more aspects. To me it does not seem to disqualify the B hilt if it was occasionally made in one single piece. To me overall shape, function and character are more important issues in this case.

Gripping:
I think the hammer grip is most natural on this one, but palming the pommel is not impossible I would say.
It depends on how mobile and dexterious your hand is.

On massive weight:
Do not be fooled by the weight! Petersen says the B and C types are among the heaviest of swords. A type C sword he documented weighed 1,896 kilos.
Total weight does not say that much about handling. Still, some of these swords must have been used by guys with strong arms. No doubt about it.They are heavy, but absolutely functional weapons.
I keep returning to the importance of mass distribution. A sword can weigh 1,6 kilos and feel like 1,2 kilos.
The Berserkr has a blade of rather typical size and dimension. What varies in these blades is the shape and depth of the fuller (among toher things). Some lack fuller all together (and can be thinner instead), on others it is so shallow that it has almost no effect, others have a rather deep and effective fuller.
I used a combination of features so that the blade would not be too light for its type and still exhibit nice handling characteristics. It is stiff in the spine and has a nice pull in the cut, but it is not a wrist breaker. This blade can carry a pretty substantial pommel without adverse effects. This adds to total weight but it is not an over-balanced theatrical sword. I would say that this is a properly balanced weapon according to its type built on a blade with proper shape and porportions. You might not fence with it, but it can well be used in fighting.

Is this a sword?:
I can see why you might wonder about this. It is different from the norm, but there is a whole un-appreciated tradition of single eged swords that are much more than just big knives (even if some are even called "Big Knives": Coltelaccio, Grosse Messer etc)
Draw cuts...? Hmm....?
Those I´ve seen (both hilted swords and blades that once had organic hits now perished) do give the impression of agressive swords for cleaving & chopping: Leg biters. Shiled splitters. Widow makers.
Of course you could pull the edge across some unforutnates un-protected flesh, but I do not think that was the primary function.
They are definitly swords and absolutely serious weapons, whatever contemporary collectors might name or define the type. They are not machetes. There is too much going on in those seemingly simple blades. Machetes are punched out of steel plate and somehow ground sharpish along one side. These are forged and carefully shaped blades, even if they do have a brutish character.
A few of these were hilted with very nice hilts exhibiting silver wire inlay. Some blades of this type were really very good examples of skillful blade making incorporating high quality patternwelding.
They are different from double edged swords. It is a character and function thing.
If you appreciate this type of sword and know how to use it, you would be fearsome to meet across the sie of a ship, on the churned up ground of the battlefield or on the confined space of the holmgång or envig in single combat.

Hope this helps. The best is to try to handle one. It´s difficult to convey these things in words.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Holy Heralds of Odin!! Eek!
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... the Berserkr
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: