LJ Baskethilted backsword.....
LJ and AT cooperation........

http://www.angustrimdirect.com/ljcustomswords.htm
It's beautiful piece of artwork, Gus. And it is on my "Gotta get one of those, some day" list.
Very nice, Gus !

How she handle ?

Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Very nice, Gus !

How she handle ?

Mac

Like a couple of the antiques up at Pat Tuffer's place........
Wonderful....

... and just when I'm pretty much broke. :(
Angus Trim wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Very nice, Gus !
How she handle ? Mac

Oh, you mean like that big wrist breaking Dagoon hilt Dave was telling me about :-) ;-)

Seriously, that is wonderful .... but I suppose I'd expect no less from you !

It sure looks to be a quick one ..... bet Roger will be very pleased !

Again, nice job ! Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Very nice, Gus !
How she handle ? Mac

Oh, you mean like that big wrist breaking Dagoon hilt Dave was telling me about :-) ;-)

Seriously, that is wonderful .... but I suppose I'd expect no less from you !

It sure looks to be a quick one ..... bet Roger will be very pleased !

Again, nice job ! Mac

Hi Mac

There was a wrist breaker up there alright..... about four lbs, relatively thick at the base, and no distal taper.....

Remember that conversation we had a couple of years ago about matching up my "medieval" blades with LJ baskets? That they would work, but wouldn't be ideal because many antique baskethilts feature blades that get real fine out towards the tip.....

These backsword blades are like that, in fact much of the geometry came from one of the nicer handling antiques Pat had a couple of years ago. Numbers don't tell the story, but the cog is real close to the guard, once all mounted up.......So they're not going to be as durable as the "medieval" blades I make, but should handle and perform real well comparing them to antique baskethilts.......
Hi Gus

Speaking of Pat's four pounder ..... :-)

* Photo - 'Swords & Sword Makers of England & Scotland', by Richard H. Bezdek.

Yes, the blades got pretty thin in the skin on alot of those basket-hilts !
Surprisingly, though, they are alot tougher (no pun intended) than one might assume, at first glance !

Given the non-existant armour of the day they certainly had no trouble ruining ones day, broad Scot or not !

I look forward to hearing more about this one ..... Is she shipping out anytime soon ?

Slàinte, Angus ! Mac
Looking at the other place, it looks like Roger just got his sword as i'm writing this. It looks like he likes it.....*g*
Yes, I have it. It's a great sword. The photos don't do it justice - You have to see it and hold it in your hand to really appreciate it. Beautiful in a very simple and functional way. It handles light and fast, though I'm finding out that baskethilts, by their nature, put some limits on maneuverability.

I was showing it to someone, and they complained that one side bar was noticeably farther away from the pommel than the other. But it was obvious that Eljay did that deliberately to give a little more room for the back of the hand to fit more comfortably within the basket.

This one takes its place at the top of my collection.
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Gus

Speaking of Pat's four pounder ..... :-)

* Photo - 'Swords & Sword Makers of England & Scotland', by Richard H. Bezdek.

Yes, that thing.... four lbs (at least), no distal taper, and the balance all in the hilt. It felt like a rock with a grip.... and this was a sword meant for use, not a display or parade piece....

Who says all originals are vastly superior to modern reproductions in terms of handling characteristics? Well, many definitely are, but that thing is one of the exceptions....
Congratulations on a very fine sword, Roger !

Yes, the off-set / bias is a feature that is quite common on many of these hilts and especially useful when you take in to account how small some of these hilts could be !

I think the limits on maneuverability are negated by the trade off in hand protection, as well as the hilts own offensive capability !

Nothing like a good steel gauntlet with deadly blade attached, I say ;-)

Enjoy 'er, Roger .... may she serve ye well , Mac

Roger Hooper wrote:
Yes, I have it. It's a great sword. The photos don't do it justice - You have to see it and hold it in your hand to really appreciate it. Beautiful in a very simple and functional way. It handles light and fast, though I'm finding out that baskethilts, by their nature, put some limits on maneuverability.

I was showing it to someone, and they complained that one side bar was noticeably farther away from the pommel than the other. But it was obvious that Eljay did that deliberately to give a little more room for the back of the hand to fit more comfortably within the basket.

This one takes its place at the top of my collection.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: