Cuphilt and Left-hander by Glen Parrell
Hi everyone,

Here you see Glen Parrell holding the blades for my cup-hilt and left hander

[ Linked Image ]

I have ordered it after my return from Portugal and after viewing this set

[ Linked Image ]

which is incredibly light.

As most of you know, I prefer to re-design things so I get something unique, but from the blade's picture, it seems like it is not that light at all ( I don't think Glen's strong arms can assess weight as an average guy ;) ).

So here's the original cuphilt design
[ Linked Image ]

that is never updated. Your comments on the whole link will be very much appreciated. :)
Beautiful pics Antonio.

Could you give us more pics and closeups please? Thanks.

Regards

Manoucher
Manoucher M. wrote:
Beautiful pics Antonio.

Could you give us more pics and closeups please? Thanks.

Regards

Manoucher

Thank you Manoucher,

Actually the sword is not finished. I traded the backlog with the Sword of Runes, which was done in one month.

I will upload when the sword is finished. :)
Thank you for your kind words
Is that a partial thumb-ring I see under the cup? Pardon me for looking up her skirt, there, but I couldn't help myself.
Is this portugese set a recreation, an original, or a modern piece? I've never seen a thumb ring on a rapier before, but that doesn't mean they didn't ever happen. Cup hilts tend to be pointwork-oriented, though, and thumb rings tend to be on cutters/choppers, as far as I can tell...

Just curious. You getting that on yours as well?
Kevin Inouye wrote:
Is that a partial thumb-ring I see under the cup? I've never seen a thumb ring on a rapier before

Wow! You're right. That sure does look like a thumb-ring. Fascinating. Cup-hilts are a bit late for my area of interest and I haven't studied them in-depth to know of ones with thumb-rings, but I certainly don't remember ever seeing one. That's fascinating. I actually like it quite a bit, tucked under there right up against the cup, itself. What's also interesting about that piece is that the blade doesn't appear to be very long, and certainly does appear wider than a typical cup-hilted sword's blade. The angle makes it difficult to really tell, become of the foreshortening of proportion, but that's the way it looks to me.

I've seen rapier-hilted swords with thumb-rings, though most are of the "cut and thrust" proportions and might more properly be called Reitschwert, or riding swords.

Really very cool.
Kevin Inouye wrote:
Is that a partial thumb-ring I see under the cup? Pardon me for looking up her skirt, there, but I couldn't help myself.
Is this portugese set a recreation, an original, or a modern piece? I've never seen a thumb ring on a rapier before, but that doesn't mean they didn't ever happen. Cup hilts tend to be pointwork-oriented, though, and thumb rings tend to be on cutters/choppers, as far as I can tell...

Just curious. You getting that on yours as well?

Yes, its a thumb ring, and actually the blade is not a rapier. Its rather flat and it's an original.
And it is so light. That was what drew my attention.
You wouldn't find nothing other than antiques at Rainer's. He has about half a million pieces. You wouldn't imagine just the pommels collection he has as well as the patha collection.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kevin Inouye wrote:
Is that a partial thumb-ring I see under the cup? I've never seen a thumb ring on a rapier before

Wow! You're right. That sure does look like a thumb-ring. Fascinating. Cup-hilts are a bit late for my area of interest and I haven't studied them in-depth to know of ones with thumb-rings, but I certainly don't remember ever seeing one. That's fascinating. I actually like it quite a bit, tucked under there right up against the cup, itself. What's also interesting about that piece is that the blade doesn't appear to be very long, and certainly does appear wider than a typical cup-hilted sword's blade. The angle makes it difficult to really tell, become of the foreshortening of proportion, but that's the way it looks to me.

I've seen rapier-hilted swords with thumb-rings, though most are of the "cut and thrust" proportions and might more properly be called Reitschwert, or riding swords.

Really very cool.

Like I said Nathan, the blade is rather flat and extremely light. I wouldn't see a reason for the thumb ring with all that lightness, but there was so much to see that I had very few minutes to look at the blade while hearing Rainer's explanations of another thing.
This was a set used by the Portuguese in India, and that means 16th. century at least.
Hey Antonio, looks good I have always liked the Cup Hilt...looking forward to seeing some beauty shots of yours. If you like rapiers an excellent book I just picked up is "The Rapier and Small-Sword 1460-1820" by A.V.B Norman kinda like the "Records of the Medival Sword" By Oakeshott.....a must have....picked up it off ebay from a seller who has a few new copies left under the name bsgbooks
Ben Sweet wrote:
Hey Antonio, looks good I have always liked the Cup Hilt...looking forward to seeing some beauty shots of yours. If you like rapiers an excellent book I just picked up is "The Rapier and Small-Sword 1460-1820" by A.V.B Norman kinda like the "Records of the Medival Sword" By Oakeshott.....a must have....picked up it off ebay from a seller who has a few new copies left under the name bsgbooks

Hi Ben,

Thank you. I've just uploaded the latest version of the cup and the guard and pommel.
I know nothing about fighting Western way. :( I can just imagine, but that's not enought.
After all I'm celebrating 35 years in Martial Arts :eek:
But I liked the cuphilt and wanted to do something rather unique. I hope Glenn will finish the sword he has in hands before getting back to mine. He usually gets a headache.
You must know I'm pretty unorthodox, he he.
I should take a look at Amazon for both books. Thanks. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: