Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: "Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...?         Reply with quote

This has been discussed previously on the forums, but Scotchbrite works unbelievably well at removing residue from blades. I know this because I just erased some blueing (and glue deposites from scabbard making experiments) that spilled over from a guard to the blade in seconds. It had resisted removal using steel wool for hours. I had not tried Scotchbrite previously, and had no idea how superior this stuff was for polishing a blade. It is not easy to find the fine textured grey "scotchbrite type" nylon pads just anywhere, however.

I used the green colored 3M Scotchbrite sold at hardware stores. The package describes it as "medium fine" equivalent to 0 steel wool. This leaves a visible scratch like finish (not bad, but not as good as an Albion deserves.) I think previous posts advised a finer texture "grey Scotchbrite". As far as I can tell, trademark 3M Scotchbrite is not offered in the ultra fine grey except as rotary wheels. I had to go to a generic "nylon pad, grey" search to find a product described as "similar to Scotchbrite" and "equivalent to 000 steel wool." I found that for sale at USA Hardware online.

If anyone knows the correct brand and designation for grey, ultrafine, "scotchbrite like" pads, please post it!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try this:

For a quick and easy way to get gray Scotch Brite:

1. Go to Amazon.com, and under stores find Tools and Hardware.
2. In the Tools and Hardware page, find the Search in Tools and Hardware (was upper left corner for me).
3. Type in "Scotch Brite 7448"
4. The search engine should take you right to the product page.

The price is about $18.65 for a box of 20 pads about 6"X9" plus S&H.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Just checked the above and it works just fine, but...the price went up to $19.30; however, the pads are 6"x9" in size and with 20 of them per box, they should last you a good while.

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks!

I will follow up with results when I get the generic grey nylon pad sold at USA Hardware online. It is sold for $9 per package.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...?         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
This has been discussed previously on the forums, but Scotchbrite works unbelievably well at removing residue from blades. I know this because I just erased some blueing (and glue deposites from scabbard making experiments) that spilled over from a guard to the blade in seconds. It had resisted removal using steel wool for hours. I had not tried Scotchbrite previously, and had no idea how superior this stuff was for polishing a blade. It is not easy to find the fine textured grey "scotchbrite type" nylon pads just anywhere, however.

I used the green colored 3M Scotchbrite sold at hardware stores. The package describes it as "medium fine" equivalent to 0 steel wool. This leaves a visible scratch like finish (not bad, but not as good as an Albion deserves.) I think previous posts advised a finer texture "grey Scotchbrite". As far as I can tell, trademark 3M Scotchbrite is not offered in the ultra fine grey except as rotary wheels. I had to go to a generic "nylon pad, grey" search to find a product described as "similar to Scotchbrite" and "equivalent to 000 steel wool." I found that for sale at USA Hardware online.

If anyone knows the correct brand and designation for grey, ultrafine, "scotchbrite like" pads, please post it!

Home Depot in the paint section. Wink

Jason Dingledine
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also most autobody supply store's should carry them.
Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic